• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Solaris soundtrack

Share/Bookmark

OT: Solaris soundtrack

I don\'t know about you guys but I really dug this film. The score is very ambient and nice. Some really neat textures and colors going on.
    Anybody else like the music as well?

Hey Tob,

If you see this post, I think you\'d dig the score since we both liked the \'Monsters Ball\' stuff [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Re: OT: Solaris soundtrack

Originally posted by Damon:
    I don\'t know about you guys but I really dug this film. The score is very ambient and nice. Some really neat textures and colors going on.
    Anybody else like the music as well?

Hey Tob,

If you see this post, I think you\'d dig the score since we both liked the \'Monsters Ball\' stuff [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">yo, I better get it then

ps. we miss you in #midi-mockup.. COME BACK!!!

Yeah, I just saw it last night. It\'s one of those movies that people either love or hate, no in between. I liked the sparseness of the score...probably took the guy less than a week to write it! I don\'t know if I\'d buy the soundtrack, but it definitely had a unique quality to it.

I\'d recommend the movie to any Kubrick fan....it\'s definitely in the same visual style!

I dug the score....different and very rich...one of Cliff Martinez best for sure.

Just because there\'s not a lot of notes doesn\'t mean it didn\'t take a very long time to produce. I know that Cliff spends ages preparing his original textures and those dynamics he had going with all those gamelan type processed arpeggios is something that takes a long time to realize...not your typical MIDI rig stuff. The ebb and flow of that stuff was great and realized the feeling of the planet beautifully.

The difference was that the real orch stuff was used almost to enhance and give dimension to the electronics, instead of the other way around....which is a more original way of working these days.

Cliff gets better and better...he\'s an original voice in the film scoring world.

spectrum

Eric,

This might be a testament to your skills but I bet I could get really close to the essence of the score by locking me in a room for a week with a sampler and Distorted Reality (1 and 2 for good measure)!

Originally posted by spectrum:
    I dug the score....different and very rich...one of Cliff Martinez best for sure.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I agree Eric. Pretty cool he used to be the Red Hot Chili Peppers guitar player too [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum