Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dan Dean Solo Strings

Share/Bookmark

Dan Dean Solo Strings

Anyone done a demo using this library?

Re: Dan Dean Solo Strings

Originally posted by Nagash20:
    Anyone done a demo using this library?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Funny you should mention that. I posted a demo 8 hrs ago in the string about cross fades. But this is an edited version, containing crossfaded dynamics (without phasing), fast attacks, legato, lengthened bows (to account for the softer velocities) and some other tweaks.

I\'ve been thinking: this is too weird for my brain. How often does someone come and ask specifically whether anyone\'s done a DDSS demo? How often does anyone post a purely DDSS demo? - I remember one about a year ago.

So I post this DDSS demo, check in later to see if there were any comments, and the only thing I see is some guy asking whether someone had done a DDSS demo lately. What are the chances of that?

Incidentally I would be interested in any, destructive or non-destructive, comments about the edits.

bckers, very nice job of matching, though I don\'t hear a great degree of timbral change in the instrument as I might expect with, say, a brass instrument. The lack of audible phasing artifzct is examplary; I\'d love to hear this with an instrument that exhibits large dynamic tonal shift. One \'complaint\', the recording seems bright, but that helps emphasise the lake of phasing, I assume it\'zs deliberate...

OTOH, if you ocan produce a solo violin with that xfade dynamic capability, and record it crisp enough for jazz work (Jean Luc Ponty comes to mind) I\'d buy it in a heartbeat.

am still hoping to produce a custom solo violin (this has hit rocks, in the shape of local violinists. Jesus).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Not a clue what this means [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Is this like symphonic versions of animal crackers? (Look, Mommy, I got a Casals, a Yo Yo Ma and two Zukofskies! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Dasher

Thanks for those comments dasher. The timbral range was modelled on my own violin playing, perhaps a big mistake. However the demo has only a few notes where the dynamic swell is great enough to show this. The main issue is the avoidance of any \"volume fade\" effect and loss of presence with diminuendo, which I think the demo shows off OK. Perhaps I should expand the MW profile on the midi file.

However it would be easy to increase timbral range of the instrument. Using my method I can take any sampled solo instrument with different dynamics and create a single instrument that crossfades from the softest to the loudest dynamic without any phasing or multiple sample sound during the cross fade.

Yeah you\'re right, the demo\'s still too bright, even for a close-up string quartet. This was not deliberate (although you have pointed out a fortuitous benefit). DDSV comes out bright; I usually EQ it OK, but not this time.

The other mess was just me trying to express frustration. I thought I would just be able to hire a violinist for the session. But -oh no. She felt she would have joint copy right of the sounds and should receive royalties whenever they are used. (She belonged to an organisation that would collect them for her). Eventually we struck a deal without strings, but she then pulled out with this story: a colleague of hers had been used by a local film score composer, Andrew Dixon (he scores all films by Brititsh director Mike Leigh), to sample some harmonics. This violinist was then spooked by the fact that \"his\" harmonics were being used \"willy-nilly out there\", which he could\'t cope with. He has been warning everybody off and I now can\'t get any of the locals to help out. They appear strangely possessive about their sounds, as if part of their soul is retained in them. Or perhaps they just feel threatened by sampling.

Hi,

Here is an example of the Dan Dean Solo Violin played in realtime illustrating some of its legato possibilities:

http://www.btinternet.com/~veridical.sounds/ddsoloviolin1.mp3

Nicholas

Hey Beckers, can you make a copy of an .art file that you created to suit the violins better?

Beckers said:
    I now can\'t get any of the locals to help out. They appear strangely possessive about their sounds, as if part of their soul is retained in them. Or perhaps they just feel threatened by sampling.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You\'ve captured their soul in that little black box. BUWA-HA-HA-HAAAA!!! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I\'d still love to hear a fluegelhorn with these tweaks...

Dasher

Hi Beckers,

Each articulation of the Dan Dean solo violin comes with only one dynamic layer, so exactly what are you crossfading between in your DDSV demo?

Nicholas

Originally posted by nicholash:
    Hi Beckers,

Each articulation of the Dan Dean solo violin comes with only one dynamic layer, so exactly what are you crossfading between in your DDSV demo?

Nicholas
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Nicholas, great legato on your demo. How? - any tweaks?

The crossfades on the demo from the other thread is between the original sample and a modelled sample, to match the timbre and bow noise of the original bow, had it been played p, using the same RELATIVE bow pressure. To explain: timbre range at a given velocity is large and changes more with bow pressure, angle and position of the bow etc. than with velocity. The minimum bow pressure required to \"unstick\" the bow from the string increases with velocity, which a player automatically adjusts on crescendo, relative to the bowing velocity. Further change in bow pressure in excess of what\'s rquired does not change amplitude but changes the timbre.

In studying the excitation response of different modes to varying velocity it was clear that beacause of the many confounding factors it was difficult to come up with a predictive formula for a frequency response of a p timbre of a given note, but I formulated a way to predict this from the original sample. (However, I admit to making further adjustments by ear). I hope this doesn\'t sound like waffle.

It was all a project to get rid of any artificial \"volume fade effect\" on expressive playing.

Having said all this, I don\'t want to give too much away. I\'m still working on it, and on vibrato control. It fascinates me, but I\'m also still hoping to produce a custom killer violin. (Possibly for marketing. -But it\'s gonna get crowded in there).

Go Back to forum