• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Topic: Scoring for a documentary

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Scoring for a documentary

    Hello my friends!

    Another project I am currently working on is scoring an extended trailer for a documentary by a Canadian producer. I have stopped working on it for now, since she wants to redo the video. But here is what I have up to now. It contains 5 sections, which match the mood of the video at each point:

    1) Bouncy but not rushed or busy, light and upbeat
    2) A little more reflective and serious
    3) The interviewees talk about the stress and fast pace of life
    4) Another lighthearted section, but darkening a bit as the tone of the interviews changes a little
    5) The wrap-up section. Repeating the original theme. (This part is completely unfinished, as you can tell!)

    There's some tidying up to do on all the sections, but I'm not going to touch anything else until I hear back from her.

    Libraries used: GPO, Sample Tank (thanks Randy for posting about that!), Independence Free, Dimension Pro.

    Here's the soundtrack:

    https://app.box.com/s/amxbuhdw0fiy2mr55a2j

    ..and the website for the documentary, if you're interested:

    http://braingasm-film.com/

    Best wishes to all
    Owen
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

  2. #2

    Re: Scoring for a documentary

    Owen! You're a busy man with these fun film projects. That is so super. Hope this Canadian project keeps going, so you can do whatever adaptation you need to accommodate the changes being made.

    There are two notes I decided to pass on - In the "Bouncy" section, you've done some things so unnatural with the flutes, that I'm wondering if you were trying to put together a Calliope sound? You have the attacks very abrupt, and the cut offs even more so. There's an intense amount of breath sound, and the effect is that the "flutes" are being played on a keyboard, like - well, a Calliope. Were you purposely going for that effect? If so - I would recommend finding an actual Calliope patch.

    Also, when the second flute comes in, you have it in what sounds like the exact same position as the first one, so that part of the mix is in mono, but the rest of the instruments are spread around - so I think you need to move the two flutes apart a bit so they straddle the center line. Flute 1 slightly to the left, 2 slightly to the right.

    At the end of that first passage, the strings play a clinker - purposeful for a comical effect?--

    Randy

  3. #3

    Re: Scoring for a documentary

    Thanks, Randy, for the helpful notes.

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    In the "Bouncy" section, you've done some things so unnatural with the flutes, that I'm wondering if you were trying to put together a Calliope sound? You have the attacks very abrupt, and the cut offs even more so. There's an intense amount of breath sound, and the effect is that the "flutes" are being played on a keyboard, like - well, a Calliope. Were you purposely going for that effect? If so - I would recommend finding an actual Calliope patch.
    You know, I have really struggled to find a good sounding instrument for that section. I started off with GPO's flutes - tried them all - and they all sounded either too flat in tone or not enough attack to pull off the rhythm. The patch you hear is a weird flute from Sample Tank - can't even remember what it's called. It's the best I could come up with, but I'm still not happy. Any suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Also, when the second flute comes in, you have it in what sounds like the exact same position as the first one, so that part of the mix is in mono, but the rest of the instruments are spread around - so I think you need to move the two flutes apart a bit so they straddle the center line. Flute 1 slightly to the left, 2 slightly to the right.
    I hadn't noticed that. Thanks. I will add "check all the pannings" to the list of tidy-up items I will take care of when I get the final cut of the video.


    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    At the end of that first passage, the strings play a clinker - purposeful for a comical effect?--
    Not there on purpose. I had in mind to fix such bum or off-tempo notes. I know there are a few.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

  4. #4

    Re: Scoring for a documentary

    Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    ...The patch you hear is a weird flute from Sample Tank - can't even remember what it's called. It's the best I could come up with, but I'm still not happy. Any suggestions?...
    Yes, I would suggest a keyboard sound. I would try experimenting with various jazz organ patches, even one of those Farfisa emulations, or a Calliope, like I brought up in my earlier post. Since you rejected the natural sounding flutes in GPO for this one with its odd, un-flute-like keyboard sound, I would just go straight to the kinds of instruments/sounds that match better what you wrote.

    On the other hand, even though it's not what you apparently hand in mind, it seems like flutes playing this in a natural way, could sound nice. But - if you really want that clipped, synthy effect, then I would do as I said above, experimenting with keyboard sounds. You could even branch into any number of pure synth sounds that sound right when played pianistically like this.

    Randy

  5. #5

    Re: Scoring for a documentary

    I like this a lot Owen. The first part was indeed nice and bouncy. I love the second part the best. It brings a nice encouraging but mysterious feel. I'll check out the documentary site sounds cool. I need to get more involved in projects myself. I have been asked to help out in game projects in the past, but I just can't commit enough time with my own projects and general life. Looking forward to more of you work!

    Cheers,

    Richard

  6. #6

    Re: Scoring for a documentary

    I really like the upbeat feel of the first part. The flute sound has a strange attack. If you adjust that it might sound more natural.

  7. #7

    Re: Scoring for a documentary

    I really like the upbeat feel of the first part. The flute sound has a strange attack. If you adjust that it might sound more natural.

  8. #8

    Re: Scoring for a documentary

    Thank you, Richard, Chandler and Randy for your responses. After universal dislike of that flutie thing expressed (I was never completely happy with it), I tried out a GPO clarinet instead.

    Here it is:

    https://app.box.com/s/thxird272hd1m0q08hc1
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

  9. #9

    Re: Scoring for a documentary

    Sounds great and works well. Thanks for sharing the update.

    Regards,

    Richard

  10. #10

    Re: Scoring for a documentary

    That does sound better. I also tried a quick experiment of doubling an English Horn and Bass Clarinet together, and that may give you some of the "off beat" quality you were looking for before.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •