• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Damn, I played on a Motif ES8

Share/Bookmark

Damn, I played on a Motif ES8

And I loved the feel of its keyboard so much that I\'m almost thinking of buying this thing. IMO, it has the best keyboard with 88 weighted keys I\'ve tried so far. I was very impressed. Also, with the two controller wheels of obviously high quality, touch pad and four control sliders this synth looks like THE ultimate master keyboard. It\'s a flagship and it\'s definitely build like one!

However, there\'s one problem. The Yamaha Motif ES8 is pretty expensive and if I\'m only going to use it as a controller and not for its software (sounds, sampling), then this could be looked upon as a little crazy. To tell the truth, I didn\'t even switched the power on to listen to one of the presets. Why should I? But for all of you who are looking for a better master keyboard, the Motif ES8 is worth of checking out. I guess it being made in Japan makes all the difference.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Re: Damn, I played on a Motif ES8

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    And I loved the feel its keyboard so much that I\'m almost thinking of buying this thing. IMO, it has the best keyboard with 88 weighted keys I\'ve tried so far. I was very impressed. Also, with the two controller wheels of obviously high quality, touch pad and four control sliders this synth looks like THE ultimate master keyboard. It\'s a flagship and it\'s definitely build like one!

However, there\'s one problem. The Yamaha Motif ES8 is pretty expensive and if I\'m only going to use it as a controller and not for its software (sounds, sampling), then this could be looked upon as a little crazy. To tell the truth, I didn\'t even switched the power on to listen to one of the presets. Why should I? But for all of you who are looking for a better master keyboard, the Motif ES8 is worth of checking out. I guess it being made in Japan makes all the difference.

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I really like the Yamaha boards. For less money and if you don\'t need all the features, check out the P250. It\'s got the two wheels, but lacks sliders and such. For studio work, it does the job, plus I the piano sound is pretty good...very playable.

I agree the Motif is the best of all worlds. The sounds a very, very good, plus there\'s enough bells and whistles to keep you busy for quite a while.

How about the S90? It\'s $1000 cheaper than the Motif, and I think the weighted action feels pretty good. I wonder if Yamaha would go to the trouble of using a different key mechanism between the two models, or maybe the $1000 difference is wrapped up in other \"features\"...

- Keith

Also,the S80 ,Is even cheaper than the S90 and i believe its the same keyboard but diff. sounds. 2 mod wheels and lots of midi controllers on the surface. Rich

The Motif ES8 besides haveing great keys is also a very powerful synth. It has a great many capabilities that Giga, Halion and sorts can not touch. Also IMHO its sampling engine plays very fast and accurate. With 512mb of RAM you can have a lot of juicy sounds loaded.
    A little birdy tells me that Yamaha is working on HD streaming technology.
    Knowing their design team these keys will work extremely reliably for years, damn my 1981 DX7 still plays.... I just hope they add Giga portability. Plug this in with MLAN into a DM1000 with VST plugins and bye bye PC....

The \"S\" series have a different action than the \"P\" series. The S80 has killer features and would make a great controller..I just never could get used to that lighter action. Does the Motif have the same action found on the \"P\" series? I think they call it a graded action which mimics a real piano in that higher notes repsond differently.

I believe I read somewhere that the Yamaha Motif weighted keyboard was actually outsourced to FATAR - I could be wrong. At any rate, I have played the Motif action and it feels identical to my FATAR StudioLogic SL-880 controller - with a nice acoustic grand sample library attached, I can close my eyes and dream that I\'m actually playing the real thing [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Frederick:
    I believe I read somewhere that the Yamaha Motif weighted keyboard was actually outsourced to FATAR - I could be wrong.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Coincidentally, when I was in the shop, there was also a man from Fatar and he told me it wasn\'t made by Fatar but that it was Japanese or made by Yamaha. I also played on the Yamaha S90 and the Yamaha S-08 but it was just not the same.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Yamaha makes some killer musical instruments. But they also go way downscale. I attend CES (Consumer Electronic Show) each year. Yamaha brings their low-end stuff there. Yuk. I don\'t know the model numbers, but I really disliked all of their low-end digital pianos on the show floor.

The funniest thing I\'ve seen from them is an \"electronic guitar\" with buttons on the fretboard and coat hanger wires to pick and strum. I tried playing the blues on it. Sadest blues I ever played. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Another year has passed. I\'ll visit their booth again early next month. Sigh.

But just cause they make some cleap stuff doesn\'t stop me from wanting one of their Motifs, or grand pianos, or flutes, or motorcycles or...

As far as I know...
    S90 and Motif uses the same key.
    S08 uses key which is lower version of S90 and Motif.
    P series uses different key.

Go Back to forum