• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: New Demo "updated"

Share/Bookmark

New Demo "updated"

Here’s an updated demo to the song “O’ Jerusalem” that I posted last week. “Sharmy” (Craig Sharmat) has laid down some brilliant nylon guitar on it. I also want to thank Marty for the very good suggestion of adding the nylon guitar.

I also tried to make the strings sound less ‘synthy’ (I think SI’s library would have been better for this project – no budget left : (

I toned down the sibilance on the lead vox (although, I could probably lower the verb overall a tad more on the lead vox).

I added a VOTA choral part leading into the last chorus that helps it build to that apex.

Again, I want to publicly thank Paul Houseman for allowing me to post this on his web space and Craig for some very mature and stylistic playing. It seems I might be able to ‘help’ Craig with some piano tracks on one of his upcoming projects. This is a wonderful ‘community’ we all belong to.

Rob

\"updated\" O\' Jerusalem

Re: New Demo "updated"

Amazing stuff Rob....however I think I prefer the \'work in progress\' version more in some ways. I prefered the mystical ending without the guitar. It doesn\'t have that empty feeling there now. Also at the start the piano and the horns meld perfectly but the guitar does not quite so well. I do like the guitar parts though in general but felt they didn\'t work quite so well at the beginning and end.

Great work though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Hasen:
    Amazing stuff Rob....however I think I prefer the \'work in progress\' version more in some ways. I prefered the mystical ending without the guitar. It doesn\'t have that empty feeling there now. Also at the start the piano and the horns meld perfectly but the guitar does not quite so well. I do like the guitar parts though in general but felt they didn\'t work quite so well at the beginning and end.

Great work though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hasen,

I really appreciate the feedback. I should explain why Marty\'s suggestion of nylon guitar rung so true to me.

On this CD project - primarily Piano / Orchestral (all excepting this last track) This is a nice change for the listener.

But, primarily, the subject matterof this song lends itself to guitar more. This is a piece about a Hebrew woman singing the \'lost potential\' of the great city of Jerusalem (old testament times). I wanted this \"Lament\" to have the feeling (beginning and end) that it was being sung by a \'tent\' somewhere - the guitar very much aids that.

Again, your comments are very much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time.

Rob

Yes I agree, Rob, the guitar gives a much better overall feel. With my point about the beginning I was referring to literally the very beginning before the vocals even start. If I do an A/B with the piano/horn against the guitar/horn its definitely nicer with the latter combination. Nitpicking bordering on extremities though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] At the ending the real solemn peaceful ending when the vocals have finished is really nice but the guitar is a little too loud and harsh IMO there. Personally I would take them out just at the end part.

And me too. You\'re a bit slow off the mark there, Sharmy. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

amazing work!!!
    the singer is fantastic too!!!
    what a great sound!!!!
    could you tell me what preamp and microphone was used on this project?
    will be a gospel cd?
    thanks to share with us Rob Elliott .

My 2 cents,

I immensely enjoyed the first version - it\'s an inspiring piece in so many senses.

For me, the guitar added a great deal in sections where it\'s exposed. Very tasteful playing, and it complements the rest of the mix nicely. I didn\'t dig it so much, though, in the bigger sections. Hearing a lone acoustic guitar hold its own against a massive VOTA choir seemed unnatural in an otherwise convincingly huge texture.

BTW, the fact that the VOTA parts stand up so well along with an actual vocal in the same piece says great things for both VOTA and Rob\'s programming skills, in my opinion.

Again, this probably accounts for personal taste. Great writing, great performance, beautiful piece.

--Eric

Originally posted by Eric G:
    My 2 cents,

I immensely enjoyed the first version - it\'s an inspiring piece in so many senses.

For me, the guitar added a great deal in sections where it\'s exposed. Very tasteful playing, and it complements the rest of the mix nicely. I didn\'t dig it so much, though, in the bigger sections. Hearing a lone acoustic guitar hold its own against a massive VOTA choir seemed unnatural in an otherwise convincingly huge texture.

BTW, the fact that the VOTA parts stand up so well along with an actual vocal in the same piece says great things for both VOTA and Rob\'s programming skills, in my opinion.

Again, this probably accounts for personal taste. Great writing, great performance, beautiful piece.

--Eric
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Firstly, Ricardo - Thanks for the nice comments. I used the AKG 414 and Presonus MP-20 mic pre. Recorded on Steinberg SX (32 bit).

Eric,

As I think of your comments I really feel there is significant merit in what you are saying. I will reconsider the guitar mix in the larger sections. I have heard Craig\'s awesome \'whaling\' lead guitar - perhaps I will have him...[grin].

Seriously, thank you for a very good suggestion.

Rob

Hats off please. This is greatest composition posted on northern so far. It breathes, lives and seems to stick in the mind. Be proud of that one. Im gonna have it with me for the rest of my life. Only point of criticism would be the sentimentality in the text, which I somehow dislike. But then again - why listen to the words - when the music speaks.

Love - Chris

Well, it sounds great with that guitar timbre at the beginning . Nice playing, too!

And you\'ve gotten rid of a lot of the synthy sounds that stuck out in the first. Truly nice improvements to my ears.

But (sorry to be perfectionistic picky) the guitar sound sounds a little harsh to me. Is the guitarist using a pick on the strings or fingers?

Did you write the guitar part or did you give the guitarist a lead sheet?

The piece is GREAT! And thanks for being so willing to post it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum