• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Strings!!!

Share/Bookmark

Strings!!!

Old Demo (No Dynamics):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDdY9a3XEkw

I don't know what it is about me but I am such a strings addict :P. This is a video of a test run I am doing with my new Vienna Strings Library. Just like Garritan and Sonivox Vienna also has that nice dry recording. I got the special edition strings 1 which came with a whopping 12 gb worth of string data. This is going to be extremely useful when combining with Garritan and DImension Pro strings (SOnivox). What really got me was that the portamento was included. This will help bring some strong expression on the solos. I used minimal reverb for this demo. Garritan and Vienna are going to be best friends in my coming compositions. Looking forward to combining the two. Both are great products for the simple reason: DRY RECORDINGS!!! IMO

The instruments I used were:
    - Solo Violin (Portamento)
    - Basses (Legato)
    - Violas (Portamento)
    - Vienna Symphonic Choir

Library:
    - Vienna Strings Special Edition

Re: Strings!!!

Sounds good, though the dynamic is a little too consistent (but that'd be sorted with playing with the mod wheel more).

The dry versus wet samples is an interesting debate. I prefer a slight air of the room with my samples, Cinematic Strings has just the right amount, but with full control over the mics, this can sound as dry or wet as you want. Same with Albion Spitfire strings, where the even the close mics are a little wet sounding.

If you go for very dry samples you need to have an outstanding reverb to get the most from them. And they are trickier to mix the dry ones well with naturally wet ones, but not always, and most people wouldn't notice.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Thanks for the reply Graham. I didn't apply any dynamics with this. Just testing the overall sound and portamento. Vienna has a nice velocity system for the dynamics on these as well as controller 11. I guess I am bit biased with the wet vs dry. Owning EWQLSO Silver and listening to their demos of the strings on their site are not what I want. Not saying they sound bad, its just that I am interested in different type of sound. Lol, its hard to explain. I don't want the hollywood burst but the nice classical feel.

Cool! The more control offered, the better you can tweak them. They do sound really good. On the classical v cinematic thing, it's mostly just marketing because the libraries are aimed at the main market who'd use them - film/TV composers. They are quite capable of the classical sound too with the right mixing.

Some libraries offer a very cut back ensemble - great for a more classical feel straight from the box, like Spitfires new 'Sable' strings library. They sound amazing, but are too expensive. I don't like modular libraries.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Very cool, Richard - I appreciate you showing us what your new, inexpensive string discovery is like. Sounds great!

I would recommend being a bit cautious with that Portamento control, because a little bit can go a long way. You can get into that soupy, corny, over-the-top Gypsy style from old movie soundtracks before you know it.

Graham is right that the sophistication in Libraries has really improved the reverb situation, compared to some years ago. The theory behind GPO's dry samples was that the Library was totally flexible way, with the size of the performance space up to the user, depending on what reverb and setting he used. Back then there were either Wet samples, or Dry samples. Now there's so much control, as Graham talked about. When mixing Libraries, just keep your ears open for creating a natural blend.

As I recall, you're inserting notes by mouse, but not in a notation program. And of course that's fine, except that it keeps the two things, notes and dynamics as separate things both in your head and in practice. So, I again highly recommend that you get a MIDI keyboard. You don't have to play at all well for it to be very useful. Even if you still added just a note or a few at a time, you would get a feel for varying your velocity (strength of the keystroke), and of course recording the most important performance control, the constantly fluctuating volume in emulation of real instruments - that's pretty much a breeze to record in real time either with a Mod Wheel or Expression Pedal. To be able to "play" the instruments in real time, pushing play and recording the volume performance for an entire track - that's exciting, and a liberating experience.

Thanks again for the taste of the strings. I like 'em!

Randy

Thanks for the feedback Randy. I knwo what you mean about the gypsie movie stuff lol. I gues having the perfect amount at the right time is whats important. I have been playing with the patches. Originally, I only had vienna choir so I didn't get much involved into the vienna instrument player, but you can actually combine the patches together. Legato and Portamento as one rather than key switching. Same with the other articulations. I think yo uare right it is time to bring out the keyboard and get some practice. I actually have one, but it has dust on it lol. I tried making a composition but it didn't turn out to well lol. My problem is timing and hitting the keys fast enough or hitting the right keys at all. I got frustrated a couple of years ago and haven't used it since. I think I will just have to wipe that dust off and plug it in! I guess I have limited knowledge on all the libraries. Spitfire I haven't really heard any of their stuff, although U heard the name. I heard of LASS, but I wasn't interested in their demos along side EWQLSO. I have heard vienna demos before and I always liked them but I didn't knwo they had these special packages where you can upgrade until today, so I figured I would give them a chance since their choir is already my favorite choir. Garritan products are my favorite to date because of the rich warm sounds, I am glad I own all three GPO, WI, and GIO.

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    ...I think you are right it is time to bring out the keyboard and get some practice... I got frustrated a couple of years ago and haven't used it since...
    When you set it up again, here's what you should keep in mind: You don't have to play it well at all. You don't even have to play it in real time. You can at least use the keyboard to insert your notes, and you'll get a natural variation to the velocities. BUT you can also do what I do - Rehearse one measure over and over until you have it down, then hit record a measure earlier, and play it. That's easy to do, with input quantizing off. Your notes will sometimes be unacceptably early or late - Fine, with the snap off in PRV, just drag them a bit closer to the goal.

The biggest attraction will be, as I said earlier, recording the volumes in real time. I have absolutely no doubt you would sail with that. You have a strong sense of romanticism and sentimentality in music, you want it to all soar like soundtracks, and I can just picture you at the keyboard really feeling the sweep of those strings as if for the first time when you take control of their performance with your mod wheel.

There ya go. You gotta do it. No more thinking that of notes and dynamics as separate - In good music, they're inseparable, and with your keyboard set up again, you'll be getting even more into what you're doing.

Randy

Alright Randy! I am getting this bad boy out! "Wipes spider webs off of keys." Poof!!! Dust in the air! Alright, I am going to put these crooked fingers (too much mouse clicking for notes) to work. My M-Audio Keyboard is now plugged in... lets see what happens

I updated the thread with the new demo with dynamics. Although I spent a couple hours with the keyboard, this was not done with the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    I updated the thread with the new demo with dynamics. Although I spent a couple hours with the keyboard, this was not done with the keyboard.

Hi sururick,

First, lovely string writing. I enjoyed this little composition - it could be the start of a fine piece.

I think Randy has some good advice to offer on the subject of portamento. Some is essential for realism and a good sweep can be very effective in the right place but it needs to be restrained at other times.

Now, the subject of key velocity, cc1 and cc11 can get a little confusing - and I'm probably going to add to it now! If by key velocity we mean the force with which one hits the keys, this has different results depending on the library. For percussive instruments, velocity nearly always effects the loudness and timbre. With string libraries the situation is less straightforward. Percussive string articulations such as pizz are key velocity controlled. Again that's straightforward but for sustaining instruments, the rules change. For realistic strings you need to cross-fade through different dynamic layers and the mod-wheel is the standard for this. For extra rise and fall, you can also tweak cc11 (volume / expression). With some libraries key velocity is also used on sustaining strings to trigger additional effects such as initial attack for marc and stac. So, it does depend on the library and the actual patches being used. In this case, you really do need to be pretty expert with the keyboard otherwise you will trigger the wrong effects. Most libraries allow you to reassign such actions to a controller if you'd rather work that way so it's not necessarily a problem - but worth bearing in mind if you're choosing libraries to use alongside GPO as they all work a little differently.

Regards,

Graham

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast