• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Topic: A couple of issues

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    A couple of issues

    Hi there, I purchased GPO 4 yesterday, and while I find the library suited to my needs, there are a couple of issues that I am experiencing, and would appreciate some help with. 1) What does the little white rectangle in an instrument slot signify? 2) When setting up multiple instruments (an ensemble), how does one deal with the place and type of keyswitches for the various instruments? 3) When deleting an instrument, the keyboard map becomes greyed out with no range or keyswitches highlighted. I have gone through the manual, and can find no reference to these phenomena. Thanks! Ollie

  2. #2

    Re: A couple of issues

    Hi, Ollie - Congratulations on getting GPO, and welcome to the Forum!

    I have answers for you:

    Quote Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
    ...1) What does the little white rectangle in an instrument slot signify?
    That glowing white triangle shows you which instrument slot is currently selected and active. When there's an instrument loaded in the slot, then the Controls tab on the right side of ARIA displays all the available MIDI controls for that instrument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
    ...2) When setting up multiple instruments (an ensemble), how does one deal with the place and type of keyswitches for the various instruments?
    Once you have a KS (keyswitch) instrument loaded, ARIA's keyboard shows the keyswitches as red keys, and in the area to the left of the keyboard are labels for what each keyswitch does. For instance, I loaded Flute Solo KS for reference as I'm writing this. The first keyswitch (C below the last C in the flute's range) is for Vibrato, the D is for non-vibrato, and the E is for Flutter. With the ARIA interface open, you have a handy reference for the placement and type of each keyswitch.

    Note, be sure to load the "Standard" set of samples when you use ARIA's menu to select an instrument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
    ...3) When deleting an instrument, the keyboard map becomes greyed out with no range or keyswitches highlighted...
    ARIA's keyboard only displays active keys (white and red keyswitches) when there's an instrument loaded in a slot. When you delete an instrument, then there's nothing to display.

    If you had one instrument loaded and in the first slot, the white triangle will show up on that instrument's slot when it's clicked on in the ARIA interface, but if you click the second slot that doesn't have an instrument loaded in it yet, then the keyboard will turn grey because that empty slot is active/selected and has nothing to display.

    I think that's it for that first round of questions!

    Have fun with GPO - AND I invite you to use the Forum jump menu to go to General Discussion. That's the only part of the Forum most members go to, and so all questions are appropriate to post there.

    Randy

  3. #3

    Re: A couple of issues

    Nevermind! I figured it out. Anyway, my preceding post is being held up pending mod approval.

    Again, thanks!

    Ollie

  4. #4

    Re: A couple of issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
    Nevermind! I figured it out. Anyway, my preceding post is being held up pending mod approval.

    Again, thanks!

    Ollie
    --There's a post of yours that hasn't appeared yet?-- I've never heard of a post pending approval - that doesn't happen here. ??-

    But I didn't mind answering your questions, I was glad to help.

    Randy

  5. #5

    Re: A couple of issues

    It has a couple of screenshots, so maybe they are filtered?

    Cheers, beers,

    Ollie

  6. #6

    Re: A couple of issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
    It has a couple of screenshots, so maybe they are filtered?

    Cheers, beers,

    Ollie
    Ah, we can't attach files to posts. For posting screenshots and MP3s, you need to have the file online somewhere at a site that allows hotlinking, and then use the URL to paste into the appropriate control in the message menu. You'll see the icon for pasting an image URL, another one for posting YouTube vids, and the basic Link icon for anything else.

    Randy

  7. #7

    Re: A couple of issues

    Hi Randy,

    They're hosted at Photobucket, and I used the 'insert image' command. Anyways, no biggie. The problem I had was my assumption that when a slot that is the keyswitch focus is emptied, it would automatically default to one of the other instruments in my homemade ensemble. This doesn't happen, and I accidentally figured out how to engage the white rectangle in another slot that was filled. So, everything seems to be fine now, thanks.

    Cheers,

    Olorin

  8. #8

    Re: A couple of issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
    Hi Randy,

    They're hosted at Photobucket, and I used the 'insert image' command. Anyways, no biggie. The problem I had was my assumption that when a slot that is the keyswitch focus is emptied, it would automatically default to one of the other instruments in my homemade ensemble. This doesn't happen, and I accidentally figured out how to engage the white rectangle in another slot that was filled. So, everything seems to be fine now, thanks.

    Cheers,

    Olorin
    Glad you're doing well, Ollie. You have the concept now, sounds like - The slots in ARIA are containers, shelves. You put an instrument in one, and then there's something to display and work with. If it's empty, all you're looking at is an empty shelf with nothing in it. There's no way another instrument in your ensemble could suddenly show up in a different slot than where you loaded it.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "...when a slot that is the keyswitch focus is emptied..." Keyswitch focus? It's just that some instruments have one sample set, and others with switchable layers are keyswitched so you can change articulations during the course of a project.

    By the way, below is the info on Photobucket that I found just now. Because of the way they use links, photos from that site won't display with the "insert image" tool here at the Forum. Photobucket makes the link open up a whole page instead of just an image. You really need website building sites like Tripod rather than the free ones that usually don't allow hotlinking:

    "Photobucket no longer lets you direct link to an image alone and have just that image come up. So far you can still incorporate an image hosted there into your site or blog but if you want someone to click on a photobucket link direct to the image (the link ending in jpg) photobucket will serve up their own page displaying your photo instead of the photo alone. New policy they said. This is current as of March 2013..."

    Randy

  9. #9

    Re: A couple of issues

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

    I'm not sure what you mean by "...when a slot that is the keyswitch focus is emptied..." Keyswitch focus? It's just that some instruments have one sample set, and others with switchable layers are keyswitched so you can change articulations during the course of a project.


    Randy
    Hi Randy,

    What I meant by that was when an instrument in a slot is removed, I expected the white rectangle to move to another slot by default, which would've made that slot's instrument's keyswitchs the operative ones.

  10. #10

    Re: A couple of issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
    Hi Randy,

    What I meant by that was when an instrument in a slot is removed, I expected the white rectangle to move to another slot by default, which would've made that slot's instrument's keyswitchs the operative ones.
    OK, I see. Right, but now you understand, the white triangle is simply showing you whatever slot you've currently selected, whether it has an instrument loaded in it or not.

    Come join us in General Discussion. That's where people actually hang out.

    Randy

Go Back to forum

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •