• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: NI support needs to improve

Share/Bookmark

NI support needs to improve

It worries me that a lot of sample developers are now relying on NI for the programs that drive their sample libraries. Why? Because in every case (please correct me if I am wrong) support is left up to NI. And as we all know their support is severly lacking.

I recently purchased the Kontakt 1.5 upgrade. However I can\'t register it at NI site. When I originally registered Kontakt I had a different email address. Since then I moved and hence have a new email address. Unfortunately your login used for registration is your email address and whatever I do I can\'t seem to change it to my current one.

I have emailed NI support and heard nothing.

What do I have to do to receive some support?

*very frustrated*

Re: NI support needs to improve

Hi TJ,

Sorry for your frustration. Have you had the opportunity to phone NI tech support and explain the issue to them? I know they are only available during business hours and that makes things difficult for people with day jobs.

What makes the situation even more emotional is that the tech support people at NI are dedicated and talented people who care about people like you and me. I suppose like most growing businesses these days, NI could stand to staff-up.

I would just like to second the idea that their support is lacking.

I called and called to get the 1.5 upgrade download after I got kontakt for mac - took almost a week. Sometimes I got their voice mail (including multiple occasions where different mailboxes told me they were full and could not accept any messages!!)

They just need to have someone there to pick up the phone when it rings. Surely they can afford a high-school student to answer phones.

Eric

Unfortunately, NI doesn\'t need to staff up. If you bought a library that requires the Kontakt player, you have no options other than waiting, or throwing away your samples.

Other than a few cheap libraries, I will avoid Kontakt only libraries in favor of Giga versions that will work with all pro samplers. Why pay Kontakt (and authorize over and over again) each and every time you buy some new samples?! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

This is what I have been saying all along. People may take shots at GigaStudio, but are you having these problems with Giga? Nope. You buy a sample library for Giga, not only can you use it, you can convert it to about anything you want. No shackles.

If some distributors of samples had their way, Giga would become the same kind of locked-up, coin-slot technology they have coerced NI into being.

This is where it will go, guys. Unless you choose to spend your money on open, non-proprietary technologies, which allow YOU full access and decisionmaking over all editing, authoring, and access...those tools will disappear. You will be left with the various sample jukeboxes, left to the mercy of hoping someone will heed your desperate call for support or authorization.

What if you lose authorization when you\'re facing a huge deadline? Do you have any confidence the turnaround will be any faster? Can you afford that risk?

Spend wisely. It is more important than ever.

So what happens if you get a Giga Library that has problems? Authorization or not, you still have to get customer service to help you out and this sometimes can be a pain in the butt.

My point is that you can have all kinds of problems and not get the support you need. Try contacting GigaStudio support these days? Some people are having trouble just downloading the 2.5 updates.

Customer services sucks all around. Ever try getting Dell or one of the major computer companies to help you out at a time of crisis? Good luck.

Authorization schemes are a pain in the a*s, but poor customer service seems to be a problem in all areas of our lives right now. So let\'s not single out NI as the only culprit.

I really agree with you about NI`s support .

Originally posted by Tokyo Joe:
    It worries me that a lot of sample developers are now relying on NI for the programs that drive their sample libraries. Why? Because in every case (please correct me if I am wrong) support is left up to NI. And as we all know their support is severly lacking.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">NI are experiencing some growing pains currently due to the increase in their business this year - but it\'s being resolved. Shortly they will introduce a new \"user controllable\" registration system.

Here\'s some details about their new registration system -

What\'s new for the user:

- The authorization process is completley ONLINE! You do not need to wait anymore for eMails which include your AuthKey or an error message.

All this is displayed online in webforms in one process.

- More advice and explantation for the user, i.e. during the registration process the users gets displayed how many steps she/he still has to do.
    - New register-startpage with the functions:
    - \"Use existing account\" or \"Setup new account\" -> this will remedy/reduce the problem of redundant registrations
    - \"Edit User Data\"
    - \"Manage Registrations\", Users can disable SystemIDs by themselves!!
    - \"Change Password\", \"Request Password\"

The new registration system is designed to reduce the manual work involved, speed up registrations (Authkeys will be sent immediately), give users more control over \"their\" registrations, and free NI\'s human resources to handle \"special situations\" with greater speed.

We are confident this will solve most of the issues some users are experiencing.

You can also contact their Los Angeles office is you are in the USA (or similar time-zone). That number is 323-467-5260.

In Europe contact +49-30-61 10 35-72.

If all else fails contact East-West (for EW-NI products) 310-271-6969 and we will intervene on your behalf.

- Doug

Originally posted by Tarkio Road:

I have decided not to buy any Kontakt dedicated libraries that cost over $400. Anything more expensive than that would too closed-in for the investment.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">funny I made a similar decision after some frustrations with the old Nemesys tech...went to an AKAI only strategy...ironic now that Giga files are the new lingua franca.

I do like Scarbee\'s Multi format strategy.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Not so ironic, really. Giga may not have had the DAW connectivity you\'d have preferred, but its format is robust and open. Portability and user access to development tools are taking a huge hit today. Seems that\'s the way of the \"new market.\" Exclude, exclude, exclude. Thankfully DAW software didn\'t come into being during this unfortunate time. You\'d have to enter a credit card number to cut a track...

Go Back to forum