• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Trailer music.

Share/Bookmark

Trailer music.

Sadly doesn't make much sense without the trailer. https://app.box.com/s/zathuy9hgyqok2ddy7yt - Updated version.

Re: Trailer music.

Hello Tom! Who says music has to make sense? Besides, trailers typically don't follow a straight path anyway, so it isn't surprising that your trailer music makes some swings in attitude. The only thing I found confusing was the minute of silence at the end of the audio file, I wasn't sure if it was done or not!

Anyways, I really enjoyed the switches between tension and excitement your arrangement brought. The fanfare finish is a nice way to finish off this short preview, I would love to hear more!

Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

When I decided to send the trailer music to Box for others to hear, I went back to the initial project in Finale. Unfortunately I forgot that I had not removed the unused score measures in that version - hence the long silence at the end. Sorry about that.

What a fun post from you, Tom - Ciiiiinema chills and thrills. Shows how versatile you can be for sure. I admired the extreme subtlety of that last minute!---sorry, couldn't resist.

This is very spare in its arrangement. Is this a sketch? Or completed? I'd like to hear more about the project.

Thanks for popping in with something so unexpected and interesting.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    What a fun post from you, Tom - Ciiiiinema chills and thrills. Shows how versatile you can be for sure. I admired the extreme subtlety of that last minute!---sorry, couldn't resist.

This is very spare in its arrangement. Is this a sketch? Or completed? I'd like to hear more about the project.

Thanks for popping in with something so unexpected and interesting.

Randy
    Thank you Randy. This is for a trailer to be marketed in a few weeks by a Seattle producer. Having only 5 days to come up with something (remember that I am currently working on three video documentaries as producer and director) this had to be bare bones. There were some 13 different mood swings within the short clip. It's difficult to change that often and that quickly and get a track the director can lay down within 5 days. So it is indeed just a step above a sketch. The film is called AREA 98; science fiction genre. The trailer included shots of the arrival, the long hallway, police reaction, deep space, the alien running, the hero being attacked, and of course a "subtle" conclusion as the alien craft appears near the Seattle Space needle. As I recall my reaction was, "You're kidding, right?" I used I/O and GPO exclusively. Still not knowing how to use Cubase, I used Finale volume controls to the nth degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    ...There were some 13 different mood swings within the short clip. It's difficult to change that often and that quickly and get a track the director can lay down within 5 days...
    Thanks for the details on the project, Tom - Kind of exciting to be under such a demanding schedule! It's the sort of challenge that separates the men from the boys. I admire your ability to produce under that kind of pressure.

So what we're hearing is the actual track the producer used on his trailer? Or is the music now being recorded with an orchestra? I think you mean this is the actual track. If there's any time left between now and the drop-dead deadline for the producer finishing production on the trailer, I could assist in beefing up the piece with more reverb, wider variety in the panning, and instrument doubling layers. Let me know if I can help, or if this project is totally out of your hands now.

Randy

Thanks for the details on the project, Tom - Kind of exciting to be under such a demanding schedule! It's the sort of challenge that separates the men from the boys. I admire your ability to produce under that kind of pressure.

So what we're hearing is the actual track the producer used on his trailer? Or is the music now being recorded with an orchestra? I think you mean this is the actual track. If there's any time left between now and the drop-dead deadline for the producer finishing production on the trailer, I could assist in beefing up the piece with more reverb, wider variety in the panning, and instrument doubling layers. Let me know if I can help, or if this project is totally out of your hands now.

Randy
    I believe he will laying the music track on Tuesday, but it could be replaced later.. But if you have the time, I would certainly like to hear the difference of being run through a DAW.

...I would certainly like to hear the difference of being run through a DAW.
    Hi, Tom - I could see what I could do today in a short window of time, and get it back to you pronto. Since you used GPO and IO exclusively, I could easily set up the same instruments. I would need the MIDI file - type 1 with multiple tracks. I'll send you a PM with my email address. We could give it a go!

Randy

Hi, Tom - I could see what I could do today in a short window of time, and get it back to you pronto. Since you used GPO and IO exclusively, I could easily set up the same instruments. I would need the MIDI file - type 1 with multiple tracks. I'll send you a PM with my email address. We could give it a go!

Randy
    I just sent you the info. Hope I did it correctly - in private mail. Steve says he will not be returning to Seattle from LA until late Tuesday night. My guess is that he will not get around to this project until late Wednesday at the earliest.

I just sent you the info. Hope I did it correctly - in private mail. Steve says he will not be returning to Seattle from LA until late Tuesday night. My guess is that he will not get around to this project until late Wednesday at the earliest.
    In case you somehow see this before your email or PM, Tom, since I've written to you through both of those now - I got your message, but that needed to be sent to my email that I sent you. We can't do attachments here at the Forum. AND, what you need to send is an exported type 1 MIDI file from Finale, not the .wav file. I have the instrument list, now you need to export the MIDI file and attach it to an email message directly to me, not through PM.

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast