• Register
  • Help

Topic: music in classical style

Share/Bookmark

music in classical style

Hi everybody!

I would be glad, if you could listen to a piece I´ve written for an orchestra.
    Every year this orchestra plays a piece from a non-professional composer. This year I was asked to write something. The only thing I had to take care of was, that it should be a \"classic - like\" piece - (in this concert they play Haydn and Beethoven) - and it should be a \'vivace\'. Now I´ve nearly finished my composition, and maybe some of you have a few minutes to listen, and write some comments.
    (because I only want to give my composition to the orchestra when it´s ok [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )
    It´s a *.zip-file because my provider doesn´t allow mp3-files in the moment...

home.pages.at/mics/music/mvmnt4.zip
    or
    members.aon.at/mschratt/mvmnt4.zip
    PS: This was done on a single Roland JV - 1010, so there is not much realism [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , but I´m working on it, with porfessional samples now.

Thanks.

Michael

Re: music in classical style

Hi MCS, they wanted classical sounding piece - and they got it!

Nice theme you\'re playing with, and I can imagine that this orchestration will work well for live orchestra.

Only problem I have with it is that you don\'t compose it like \"here comes the first theme and here comes the second theme\", so I would want more clear structure. Also I kind of felt little overuse of unisons, they are generally \"only\" used for the most importand structure places in pieces by the masters. Also the harmonic language needs more variations in my oppinion.

Having said that, I\'m sure that the audience get the feeling that this is a classical piece.

However, this piece is well done and does show some great contrasts and many other aspects of classical pieces.

Please send us recordings of the piece, because I\'m sure it will work very well for live orchestra.

Thanks falcon1 for your reply!

Only problem I have with it is that you don\'t compose it like \"here comes the first theme and here comes the second theme\"
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">hm, yes, I also thought about this. In fact there is only a second theme after the first tutti, which I also used later. Maybe I will change something.
    I like it very much having ONE simple theme and play around with it and make good variations. But maybe this is not the \"classical way\". [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    And of course, I have to learn much more about music and structure.

I hope someone else have time to listen to it.

Michael

The link timed out on me twice. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Bob

I was updating the file, so maybe this was the reason. I tested it now, and it worked.
    I hope there is no timeout now...

here´s a second link to the file members.aon.at/mschratt/mvmnt4.zip
    Michael

Hi Michael,

I think the demo shows promise. Nice work!

To show my support, I am temporarily hosting your mp3:

http://www./composer_demo/mvmnt4.mp3

If the live orchestra does indeed do this, let me know and I\'ll post a permanent mp3 for ya!

That should do the trick for you although I agree with Falcon. I\'m not sure I\'m using the correct terminology but I think the orchestration is fine but the arrangement could be better as I would also like to hear some countermelodies. I know what I mean. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I love the catchy theme though and there are a couple of serene moments towards the end at around 3:40 and 4:30 .....nice chord changes.

I think the programming isn\'t great and the final sound reminds me of some of the world class organists playing on the $20k Orchestral organs (which I\'m embarrassed to say I was besotted with at the time!). Maybe that was because they were forced into unison by having only two hands and one spare foot! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Maybe \'a two hands and a foot\' arrangement could be a compliment actually....but only if you\'re playing it on an organ. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The whole piece could be turned into something REALLY special with the right arrangement.

Would you please put an MP3 up of the recording of the actual orchestra playing it when the time comes. It would be great to hear that.

Only one opinion.

Frank

Originally posted by Hardy Heern:
    ....as I would also like to hear some countermelodies.

I think the programming isn\'t great ....
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, I also would like to hear some countermelodies [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .I tried to integrate some, but it turned out, that this isn´t so easy, as it sounds....

The programming is not good, because I´m not happy with the sound of the JV (compared with sample libs), so I didn´t spend time in programming...

Originally posted by Frederick
    I think the demo shows promise. Nice work!

To show my support, I am temporarily hosting your mp3:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks a lot for this!!

Thank you for your Posts! Helps me very much!

Michael

Go Back to forum