• Register
  • Help

Topic: Watch new "IO" review and save 25%

Share/Bookmark

Watch new "IO" review and save 25%

Use promo code FILM25 and get 25% off for Garritan Instant Orchestra through 7/31/13.

Sounds and Gear "IO" Review

That's a strikingly casual video review, not at all in-depth, and badly in need of an editor - It's nice this guy at Sounds and Gear basically likes IO, but I'm puzzled by how unprofessional both his video and text are. His criticisms are vague and as dubious as his positive remarks. But - there it is - At least Garritan is being talked about, and this is a nice sale that MM has on right now.

--A side note about the strings in IO and GPO

NOTICE - Forum regulars - Something I've commented on numerous times on various threads, is that for quite awhile now, the default settings for the strings in both IO and GPO have the sound cut off unnaturally. It's an issue with some of the woodwind patches too. To push the Length control in ARIA up just a tiny bit takes care of the problem, and gives you a much better sound. Well, I bring it up because in this video when the reviewer plays a string patch, you can painfully hear what I'm talking about. Instant synth effect with the sound chopping off like that. The tiniest bit of smoothing out the release envelope, and the samples return to life.

Randy

Re: Watch new "IO" review and save 25%

To push the Length control in ARIA up just a tiny bit takes care of the problem, and gives you a much better sound.
    Not to be a complete dunce about this, but that would be in instrument controls, Length (CC21), right?
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    Not to be a complete dunce about this, but that would be in instrument controls, Length (CC21), right?
    That's right, Art. To vary the release throughout a piece, you would need to record CC21 data, but often just a global setting of bumping the control up from 49% (default) to 50 or 51 will produce what I feel is a better, more natural sound.

AND I'm glad you replied to the thread, because to be more accurate I should say that this is the Length control in GPO, but IO uses an ADSR envelope generator, so it's the Release parameter (CC23) that will get the effect I'm talking about.

Randy

OK, Randy. Thanks.
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Go Back to forum