• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Altiverb for PC!!

Share/Bookmark

Altiverb for PC!!

Hey guys,

who would like to see a PC version of Altiverb 2 VST?!?!??!

I would really like the ieda! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

gerrz,
    Mirai

Re: Altiverb for PC!!

I would love to see this but unfortunately I don\'t think it will happen. (at least not in the near future)

I read somewhere that Altiverb\'s processing uses something called the velocity engine. (some kind of special processor only found on G4\'s) Unless Intel decides to include a version on their chips I don\'t think it can happen.

(I could be wrong though)

Ben Ripley

Could be.
    Processing is processing, and what matters is the language. I suspect the core engine was written in asm (machine) language for that processor, and translating from one asm to another is a chore, but not impossible. I cannot imagine, given the time and manpower, that it cannot be translated to work on the PC. (I do not think the Apple chips have any special voodoo that makes it exclusive.)
    Still, it would take much for me to give up hardware boxes, which with all my plug-ins, is still the best way to go. Can you say Lexicon MPX1? (And others...)

Still, it would take much for me to give up hardware boxes, which with all my plug-ins, is still the best way to go. Can you say Lexicon MPX1? (And others...)[/QB][/QUOTE]

Have you heard Altiverb? It\'s pretty darn good, and quite different than your usual digital reverb. It\'s kind of a \"reality synthesizer\"... or something.

The Altiverb was supposedly coded specifically to take advantage of the Altivec instruction set used on G4 chips. While I think you\'re right that given enough time, any software can be ported to any processor, it seems like in this case they\'d practically have to start from scratch. I\'ve seen some guys on the Logic user list who keep old macs around just to run Altiverb.

Just a thought... BTW, how does the MPX1 compare to the newer cheaper Lexicons like the MPX200 and 550?

Originally posted by dwdonehoo:
    Could be.
    Processing is processing, and what matters is the language. I suspect the core engine was written in asm (machine) language for that processor, and translating from one asm to another is a chore, but not impossible. I cannot imagine, given the time and manpower, that it cannot be translated to work on the PC. (I do not think the Apple chips have any special voodoo that makes it exclusive.)
    Still, it would take much for me to give up hardware boxes, which with all my plug-ins, is still the best way to go. Can you say Lexicon MPX1? (And others...)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Altiverb can simulate any reverb unit simply by recording the impulse from it with a wave sweep. But I doubt you\'d bother with a lowly MPX1, I\'d rent a PCM-91 or 960L and record that. Then you have that reverb and gone are the headaches of using an outboard reverb...

But why bother with that when the GOS impulse is way ahead of any of these for orchestral purposes.

Originally posted by Hasen:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by dwdonehoo:
    Could be.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Altiverb can simulate any reverb unit simply by recording the impulse from it with a wave sweep. But I doubt you\'d bother with a lowly MPX1, I\'d rent a PCM-91 or 960L and record that. Then you have that reverb and gone are the headaches of using an outboard reverb...

But why bother with that when the GOS impulse is way ahead of any of these for orchestral purposes.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Agreed although I\'ve been using the Utrecht Chapel a lot recently. It\'s a bit more intimate and not so splashy in the high end so it\'s more \"studio\" and less \"concert hall\"

You have to be a bit careful sampling Lexicon reverbs BTW because a lot of them use modulation which doesn\'t work in impulse responses in Altiverb for some reason. This needs to be turned off (it\'s the Spin parameter if I remember correctly) before sampling. I\'ve got some 480 impulses from somewhere which do sound gorgeous. There are no orchestral type spaces but they do make me wish I was rich enough to own the real thing, or at least a PCM91.

I think there was talk of a PC version of Altiverb a while ago. The issue was the code for the Altivec instruction set on G4 chips which couldn\'t be converted and would have to be re-written for the multimedia instruction set (whatever it\'s called, I can\'t remember), on Intel chips. So as Doyle says it could be done but it\'s a lot of work. I\'m sure they would have done it if it wasn\'t. Ironically, I saw a rumour the other day that said the Altivec instruction set was going to be dropped late next year.

Originally posted by Marsdy:
    Agreed although I\'ve been using the Utrecht Chapel a lot recently. It\'s a bit more intimate and not so splashy in the high end so it\'s more \"studio\" and less \"concert hall\"
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m downloading that one right now to check it out. You\'re right about the main disadvantage of the GOS impulse is that it has only one distance. We really need a version of it with several distances (with this being the furthest away, we only need closer ones really) and perhaps even different directions. I find its also no use on pianos, what do you use for pianos?

You have to be a bit careful sampling Lexicon reverbs BTW because a lot of them use modulation which doesn\'t work in impulse responses in Altiverb for some reason. This needs to be turned off (it\'s the Spin parameter if I remember correctly) before sampling. I\'ve got some 480 impulses from somewhere which do sound gorgeous. There are no orchestral type spaces but they do make me wish I was rich enough to own the real thing, or at least a PCM91.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well just rent one and record it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I think there was talk of a PC version of Altiverb a while ago. The issue was the code for the Altivec instruction set on G4 chips which couldn\'t be converted and would have to be re-written for the multimedia instruction set (whatever it\'s called, I can\'t remember), on Intel chips. So as Doyle says it could be done but it\'s a lot of work. I\'m sure they would have done it if it wasn\'t. Ironically, I saw a rumour the other day that said the Altivec instruction set was going to be dropped late next year.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah I\'ve no doubt its possible but would be a lot of work. I don\'t think there\'s much need for it though \'cos almost all sequencers are on the Mac anyway so you have the ease of integration. Anyone who does happen to be an all pc guy can get a cheap Mac for a few hundred pounds and just run it stand alone.

I am counting on Dreamverb for the UAD-1 being fantastic If it isn\'t, I\'ll probably buy a Powercore instead of a second UAD-1 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Marsdy:
    Hasen

The Vredenburg (check spelling!) is nice for piano I think. You could try that chapel as well for a smaller room.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ok I\'ll try that. I think that\'s the same one Kip reccomended as well - or it could have been the Concertgebouw. I\'ve been using the Wooden Church - Zuidervermaning and its very nice but hard to merge with the rest of the orchestra in the GOS hall..

Where the GOS impulse catches me out is on bright drums and percussion, especially snares. It erm.... explodes a bit too much for me.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah but you can\'t exactly complain with it for brass though! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Especially with libraries like DDSB where its all close and dry. I\'d bet that the dry versions of DDBE would come through great as well.

I could rent and sample PCM 91 but then I\'d loose that Spin parameter which is one reason why they sound so lush and rich on vocals.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The random room thing? Where its constantly changing the tail so as to create realistic ambience. Yeah I had wondered how the hell that part would possibly translate.

I\'m thinking more of seeing if I can sneek into the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Hall to do some real impulses. Unfortunately I\'ve not plucked up enough courage to walk around central Liverpool with a starter pistol yet!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You\'re gonna carefully sneak in, and then start firing a big gun? There\'s a fault in your logic there somewhere. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I was wondering if the following would work if I do record the RLPO hall:
    Find the optimum place for the stereo mic in relation to the stage. Then fire off the starter pistol from the positions of the different sections of the orchestra. For example, take a shot from the centre of where the cellos are, another in the centre of the 1st violins, once at the back where the percussion lives and so on. No one has done this yet and I wonder if it would help things sound a bit more 3D by sending the corresponding Giga instruments to the relevent Altiverb instance. The catch would be the number of Altiverb instances needed on the mix.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes I\'ve thought about this as well and someone suggested it previously on the GOS forum (he even drew and ascii diagram). I think this would get around the random issue as well \'cos each impulse would be slightly different. I think the biggest problem though, is actually creating a good impulse - even once, never mind several. Particularly for halls its so easy to end up with a muddy result.
    The GOS impulse is the only large concert hall impulse I know that is actually bright. That\'s why brass sounds so awesome, big and bright with it. It goes from a lame buzzing thing right in front of your face into a huge, bright incredible sound. Who needs EQ? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

\"But I doubt you\'d bother with a lowly MPX1, I\'d rent a PCM-91 or 960L and record that.\"

This is true. I think in terms of \"own\".

\"Then you have that reverb and gone are the headaches of using an outboard reverb...\"

But then you would have the headache of another computer. And an Apple at that! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

(Sorry. Just trying to annoy the Apple fanatics. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

But still, I see no reason why there could not be a PC verson of Altiverb, or an Apple version of GigaStudio. Its all comes down to how much work does it take to get it done. Me, I would like to see everything working on Linux, or OSX on a PC and Apple. Platform is meaningless to me: I am more concerned with OS, and a unified one we all use so we get away from \"This works on that, and that works on this\". Its stupid.

Go Back to forum