• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I have my own website!!!

Share/Bookmark

I have my own website!!!

Eeeee! I am excited!

www.musicbyowen.com

I did it at godaddy.com, who are having a sale right now - $1 per month for a 5-page site, including registration of your domain name. A good time to get a web site if anyone has been thinking about one.

Owen

Re: I have my own website!!!

Congratulations Owen on getting this up. Nice job! I hope it goes well for you.

Thanks, Alan. Guess I'll see what happens when the search engines find it!
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Excellent, Owen! It looks just great - Love the splash page image of the empty seats on the stage. Catchy - And the nice, clean, direct approach to all the text and page design is really effective. This should work great for you!

I have some coding notes, and a text format note:

On the FAQs page, you need a paragraph break before the last section, "How does the process work?"

In your HTML code, the names of the pages got jumbled, possibly from copying and pasting templates. In the browser tab, as each page is open, here's what the text on the tab says:

Home tab just says Home - This should be saying "Music by Owen," maybe even with a snazzy favicon before the text.

Sample Music tab says Contact.

Bio tab says Sample music.

FAQs is correct and says FAQs, but we still don't know what site we're on if looking at the tab.

Contact says bio.

SO - It should be easy enough to fix those tabs up. I think most sites have the name constant on the tab as you turn pages, but I suppose you could have them constantly changing, as long as they match up with the actual page content, and they're more descriptive than just "home" which was intended as a placeholder in the original code. My suggestion would be for the tab to stay the same regardless of what page is open.

It does look great though!

Randy

Randy, thanks so much for taking such a detailed look at the site. I used a template editor at godaddy, so I didn't even see the code. I will go back in and see if I can figure out how to fix it.

I should have learned the lesson to look at the tab after I went to pay a hospital bill a couple of days ago at Clark Memorial Hospital's site. Their slogan is: "Nobody cares like Clark". The tab for their website said: Clark Memorial Hospital. Nobody cares (There was no room for the rest of it!) I should probably tell them about that.

Thanks again for your as-ever invaluable help.

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    ...The tab for their website said: Clark Memorial Hospital. Nobody cares ...
    HAhahahaha--Oh man, yeah, I'd let them know about that.

OK, of course, you didn't have to deal directly with the code. It's so cool the way these sites make it easy to put up webpages now, unlike years ago when I struggled with HTML code to cobble pages together. There may not be a way to change the tab names, or maybe you'll find a field to fill in. If not, I'd contact GoDaddy and ask them about that. No real biggie, but it is odd the way the names got jumbled up.

It looks great, Owen!

Randy

I believe I have fixed all the issues you mentioned. Also looks like the hospital fixed their's too!

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    I believe I have fixed all the issues you mentioned. Also looks like the hospital fixed their's too!
    Fixed! That's a good deal it was easy enough to correct. Now each browser tab says "Music by Owen" - and nice to hear the hospital cares again.

Your editor has returned to also point out that the spacing is still inconsistent on the FAQs page. You have a space after all of the sections, except there's no space going into the last "How does the process work?" section.

May you be blessed with commissions galore!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Your editor has returned to also point out that the spacing is still inconsistent on the FAQs page. You have a space after all of the sections, except there's no space going into the last "How does the process work?" section.
    Thanks again, Randy. I am baffled though - I have looked at the published version with four different browsers, and the spacing shows up correctly for me. Which browser are you using?

Some parts of your website are difficult to read, young chap, because there is no contrast between the type and its background. Black type on brown (orange? brownish-orange?) background puts a lot of strain on the old eyeballs.

Otherwise, very good job.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum