• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Would love some feedback...

Share/Bookmark

Would love some feedback...

I just did a new \"spooky\" track and would love some feedback!
    http://www.changeling-soundstudios.com/demos/mp3/AM_Castle.mp3
    It\'s supposed to be an atmospheric/moody piece. Here is a list of gigs that I used:
    Gtown GlassHarm, Bass Drum, Organ, and Piano FX
    GOS Lite Strings
    Sam Horns
    Prosonus StringFX
    Gigapiano
    Some Choir Patch that I got off of a Kurzweil disc...
    Let me know whatcha think!
    -ZQ

Re: Would love some feedback...

Here\'s another spooky one I just posted...Let me know what you all think!
    http://www.changeling-soundstudios.com/demos/mp3/AM_well_theme.mp3

Nice, I particularly like AM Castle. Is there any reverb used? The instruments don\'t sound like a cohesive whole to my ears. Also, what is that percussion sound I\'m hearing on the left in the AM Castle track? Its a sort of col legno violin type sound but I don\'t think that\'s what it actually is. I hear that percussive sound quite a lot in movie scores but don\'t know what it is. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Hasen:
    Nice, I particularly like AM Castle. Is there any reverb used? The instruments don\'t sound like a cohesive whole to my ears. Also, what is that percussion sound I\'m hearing on the left in the AM Castle track? Its a sort of col legno violin type sound but I don\'t think that\'s what it actually is. I hear that percussive sound quite a lot in movie scores but don\'t know what it is. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">:-) I also wondered what that sound was from till I got Prosonus. Its in the patch called \"string orch FX\" or it might be in the \"cellos slap\". Anyway, its from Prosonus.

Ed

The Sonido Media Orchestra CD (soundfonts) also has these string snaps. I guess the quality of this CD probably doesn\'t compare to giga stuff, but for $39 it\'s a nice little set of sf2\'s.

Originally posted by zquarles:
    I just did a new \"spooky\" track and would love some feedback!
    http://www.changeling-soundstudios.com/demos/mp3/AM_Castle.mp3
    It\'s supposed to be an atmospheric/moody piece. Here is a list of gigs that I used:
    Gtown GlassHarm, Bass Drum, Organ, and Piano FX
    GOS Lite Strings
    Sam Horns
    Prosonus StringFX
    Gigapiano
    Some Choir Patch that I got off of a Kurzweil disc...
    Let me know whatcha think!
    -ZQ
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Zack,

I get proxy error messages - is this up and going?

Rob

Yo ZQ,

Nice moody track!

I\'d like to write down two points of comment:

- The piano on the left is a bit dry and direct. As it is now, to me it sounds like an orchestra playing and a living-room piano recording playing along. Which could work: when a spooky old lady in a spooky film would actually be playing a spooky old piano in her haunted living room, on screen. But perhaps you want it more in the mix? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- You are writing really low for the French Horns! You are using SAM Horns, but you must know that those notes you are playing are not too easy. You could give those notes to trombones, but it would sound different.

Maarten

Hi all-
    Hasen: I\'m using two versions of each track, one dry and one with Waves Rverb...you think I should turn down the dry a bit more and turn the wet up a notch? And yes, the slap sound is from Prosonus...that library has some great FX in it.

Rob: Hmmm...it seems to be working on my end...do you happen to have some kind of firewall up? Maybe that could be hindering the download...either that or my webhost is smoking crack.

Maarten: 1) Yeah...that piano always bothered me...I think that is one of my biggest hurdles is the get all of the instruments to sit in the mix just right...should I plop more reverb on there? (When in doubt USE MORE REVERB!)
    2) I wanted to use ALL of the low notes on SAM Horns! ;-) But yes, I knew it was hard to play...I guess I\'ll just have to wait for Sam TROMBONES!!!!!!

So...I guess it\'s back to the mixing board to play with reverb/levels...any thoughts on what to tweak? Does the piece work as kind of a spooky piece compositionally?

Thanks for listening everyone!

Originally posted by zquarles:
    Hi all-
    Hasen: I\'m using two versions of each track, one dry and one with Waves Rverb...you think I should turn down the dry a bit more and turn the wet up a notch?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The distances are a bit too exagerated. The horns are very far, the piano is very near and panned too hard, the slap effect is very near, yet the trill is further away. Also its not just distances, its the ambiences or rooms if you like, that the instruments occupy. As Maarten says the piano sounds like its in the room with the listener, yet the horns sound like they are in a big concert hall. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

And yes, the slap sound is from Prosonus...that library has some great FX in it.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So is _is_ strings? Interesting, I\'m glad I finally know what that sound is! So its not Col Legno then? Does anyone know what this playing technique is called?

Cool-I\'ll start playing with it a bit more and get out of my headphones. ;-)
    And yes that instrument is ColLegno, It\'s the Celli Section.
    Off to start playing again!

Go Back to forum