• Register
  • Help

Topic: Does the latest Aria interface no longer have the "Auto-Legato" feature?

Share/Bookmark

Question Does the latest Aria interface no longer have the "Auto-Legato" feature?

Hi, I’ve been out of the loop for a while regarding updates so please forgive me if this is a dumb question. I tried searching the forum, but didn't see an anwer to this question. I just purchased Finale 2012 and installed it on my system together with the GPO for Finale library and (what I believe to be) the latest version of the aria player (the aria player definitely seems to be updated as the interface has a new color, etc.) Note: before installing this update I owned the full version of GPO and GIO and had the older reddish colored aria interface. After the install, I clicked on the controls tab on the new aria interface, but did not see the “auto-legato” button that you used to be able to select on the old aria interface. In fact, there were no controls at all that I recall in the controls section of the new interface. Is this how the new interface is supposed to look and if so, how do you select the “auto-legato” feature now?
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Re: Does the latest Aria interface no longer have the "Auto-Legato" feature?

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Hi, I’ve been out of the loop for a while regarding updates so please forgive me if this is a dumb question. I tried searching the forum, but didn't see an anwer to this question. I just purchased Finale 2012 and installed it on my system together with the GPO for Finale library and (what I believe to be) the latest version of the aria player (the aria player definitely seems to be updated as the interface has a new color, etc.) Note: before installing this update I owned the full version of GPO and GIO and had the older reddish colored aria interface. After the install, I clicked on the controls tab on the new aria interface, but did not see the “auto-legato” button that you used to be able to select on the old aria interface. In fact, there were no controls at all that I recall in the controls section of the new interface. Is this how the new interface is supposed to look and if so, how do you select the “auto-legato” feature now?
    Hmmm, there's a problem there, Frodo. From your description, it sounds like you do have the newest version of ARIA. You can check the version number by clicking Settings in the interface, and looking at the info towards the lower left corner. v.1.626 is the newest.

All the controls should be showing up for any Garritan instrument you load. After reading your post, I did a quick screenshot of a horn soloist's Controls page in the current ARIA. As you can see, Auto-Legato is there, along with all of the other particular controls available for that instrument.

AL is turned off and on with CC102, values below 64 turning it off, above, on. But you should also be able to see the button along with all the rest in your ARIA.

Now - the question is, what happened with your installation--? All I can think of at the moment is to offer the standard advice to re-install ARIA, but obviously you need to send a message to MakeMusic support.

What does ARIA look like in stand-alone mode? That's the way to check how things are working before interacting with a host program like Finale.

Randy

Hey Randy and Frodo!

Congrats on upgrading to Finale 2012, Frodo. I hope it works well for you. And it's been too long since I've said Hi to Randy...

HI!!!!

Thought I'd jump in here before there was too much weeping and gnashing of teeth. Frodo, are you loading the "notation" sounds? If you are the Auto-Legato won't show. If you're loading the "Standard" sounds (like Randy and I do when using Sonar) then the Auto-Legato feature will show up. I just tried loading a Standard sound on my version of Finale and Auto-Legato was there. Try it and let us know if that answers your question.

Cheers!!!!
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post
    ...Frodo, are you loading the "notation" sounds? If you are the Auto-Legato won't show...
    Give the man a cigar! You're absolutely right, Gary - And I did not know that before! I just checked, and sure enough, Auto-Legato isn't available on the notation version of instruments, I assume because Finale handles Legato in its own way and either doesn't need AL, or it's not compatible. In any case, the notation version of a Controls screen looks the same as in my screenshot, except that bottom left square is empty.

So, Frodo - That's the deal. However, you said you didn't find Any controls. That shouldn't be the case. All the controls are there except AL.

Great to see you here, Gary - and with such an informative post! Good goin'.

Randy

Thanks for the replies guys. I noticed it happening from within Cubase 6 (using the GPO files, not the notation files), but Finale and the stand alone version of aria also have nothing at all on the controls page. I checked and it looks like I actually do have an older version of Aria that loaded with Finale 2012...Aria v1.5xx or something like that. I will update to the latest version and see if that solves it.
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

... I checked and it looks like I actually do have an older version of Aria that loaded with Finale 2012...Aria v1.5xx or something like that. I will update to the latest version and see if that solves it.
    I hope you let us know if things worked out, Frodo. I'm wondering if your copy of the full GPO is earlier and not compatible with the new ARIA--?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I hope you let us know if things worked out, Frodo. I'm wondering if your copy of the full GPO is earlier and not compatible with the new ARIA--?

Randy
    I installed the latest aria player and it looks like everything is working now like it should - thanks guys! Regarding your question, Randy, I own GPO4 and GIO. Do you know what the latest versions of these libraries are that I should have?

I installed the latest aria player and it looks like everything is working now like it should - thanks guys! Regarding your question, Randy, I own GPO4 and GIO. Do you know what the latest versions of these libraries are that I should have?
    You're up-to-date now, Frodo. I was just theorizing that if you had an older version of GPO, that it was the source of the problem. This was simpler - The programming in ARIA is different from what it used to be. So now it looks like you're in business.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    You're up-to-date now, Frodo. I was just theorizing that if you had an older version of GPO, that it was the source of the problem. This was simpler - The programming in ARIA is different from what it used to be. So now it looks like you're in business.

Randy
    Awesome. Thanks again.

Go Back to forum