• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Live performance of Dances for Flutes

Share/Bookmark

Live performance of Dances for Flutes

For those interested in comparing a live performance to a GPO engineered performance, here is just such a work. It has 3 movements and they are in 3 separate files. This set of three dances was accepted and performed by the Greater Cleveland Flute Society on April 21, 2013 at 7:00 pm in Shaker Hts., OH. Latin Dance 1 , Ballad Dance 2 and Gigue with Interlude Dance 3 . I hope you enjoy these. It was a thrill to have a piece I wrote performed in concert. Sorry for having this all in one paragraph but this text area will not let me end paragraphs or format the structure in any way, shape, or form!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Live performance of Dances for Flutes

Great, Rich! I had a tingle go up my spine as I vicariously experienced the thrill you had from having these pieces performed live. Fantastic - Congratulations, my friend! You and your brother Bill are inspirations to us all, the way Cleveland audiences are enjoying all these live concerts of your music.

All three sound wonderful - Nice recordings, obviously very good musicians. Your smiling, smart and happy sensibility shines through in all three. It would be fun to hear at least one of the MIDI versions, - or did you do any?

--AND, regarding your post formatting problems - I sympathize. I've gone through at least two periods when I lost all control also. Unfortunately, I didn't do anything clever to fix it - the forum admin did, but I haven't heard from him in a very long time now.

HOWEVER - you can do what I did when I couldn't do paragraph breaks or any other text formatting:-- At the bottom of every page, on the right hand side in the "Posting Permissions" box, you will see "BB code is On." Click that - it's a link that takes you to a page with all the available Bulletin Board code tags. They're simple to use - Underneath the list of codes, there are full instructions and examples.

I know - it's kind of a pain, having to type in your own code, but at least you don't have to be stuck with posting without paragraph breaks.

Applause at your concert, Rich!

Randy

Thanks for the comments Randy. The comparison pieces done with GPO in Sonar are in the listening room but here are the links to make it easier to do the comparison of live to midi: Flute Trio Dances (Movement 1)

Flute Trio Dances (Movement 2)

Flute Trio Dances (Movement 3) I did not see a code for carriage return so, here it is again as one paragraph.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I hate sounding like a broken record, but a real live performance is so amazingly Rich (no pun intended, okay...was) as compared to midi. The "fullness" of the flute sound here is pretty impressive. So are the pieces themselves. They are quite delightful little gems.

A big congratulations on getting them played "live", it must feel incredibly rewarding to have done so. Was it recorded professionally or do you have your own equipment and knowledge to record a performance such as this.

And yes, I too have had problems forming paragraphs here. Started about 2 months ago for me. Another solution that works for me is to push the upper left hand button tab " A/A" (not the one with the red X) and leave it on while you type. You then will get carriage returns but if you have any color/font/size encoding already in your post, the html code will show up too. But don't worry, when you are done, de-select the A/A tab and everything will go back to normal, including having paragraphs.

Thanks for letting us here this live Rich. It's truly a beautiful recording and piece of music.

Cass

Thanks for the comments and insights. I was so nervous when I went to the concert (probably more so than the performers). You have done all you can do to get a piece ready for live reading and practicing but you never know how a group will interpret the score until you hear them perform the piece.

I did have a chance to hear them in rehearsal and was able to give them a composer's viewpoint on what I wanted to hear but when all is said and done. They have to take the printed part and add their personality and musicianship to it.

Ah! your suggestion seems to be working on the formatting of the text. Thanks for that help too.

Rich

Wonderful to hear your work live, Rich. Though I must say your MIDI renderings were on the nose too.

I know what you mean about that 'nervousness' - how will it be interrupted? Will it be as you imagined? Good that you had some rehearsal time with them.

Looks like it lived up to your expectations - sounding fantastic. Excellent recording.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hello Rich, congratulations! It's great to hear these. As Cass said, the fullness the flutes have in these recordings is beautiful. As far as I can remember, this is the first I think I've heard a bass flute, too, so that's nice! (Assuming that is a bass flute I am hearing, of course )

Thanks for sharing these performances!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

It was even better live when you could watch listeners/audience as their toes tapped. Nice work Rich!

Best regards,
    me!
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    ...The comparison pieces done with GPO in Sonar are in the listening room but here are the links....
    Ah! Of course, now I remember - You posted the GPO versions back in January, and told us about the then up-coming concert. This was a good idea, to get the MIDI versions on your new thread, since it's fun for us to listen to both the virtual and live versions - Thanks, Rich.

AND I'm glad Cass gave you an easier solution to your formatting problems. I've never poked that "A/A" button before!--But dang, I wonder why we go through these periods of not having automatic coding in our posts, AND it's still really messing me up that email notifications no longer work. That's really left me out of the Forum loop too much.

Congrats again on the concert, Rich!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    Hello Rich, congratulations! It's great to hear these. As Cass said, the fullness the flutes have in these recordings is beautiful. As far as I can remember, this is the first I think I've heard a bass flute, too, so that's nice! (Assuming that is a bass flute I am hearing, of course )

Thanks for sharing these performances!
    Thanks for the comments. Yes, that is not only one bass flute playing but two. They played so well together, it was difficult to tell there were two playing the same line. The group felt that they needed two players on the bass flute part because the instrument doesn't project as well as the higher pitched flutes.

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast