• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: PMI product prices

Share/Bookmark

PMI product prices

Subject: The GRANDIOSO product prices

Due to the success of the PMI Bösendorfer 290 Plug-In we are forced to revise our current pricing strategy for the platform specific GRANDIOSO piano libraries. The Plug-In ships for $199 and the price difference between the plug-in and the platform specific libraries (Giga, HALion, Kontakt and EXS) is no longer working for us.

We decided to offer the Grandioso Bösendorfer 290 (Kontakt, HALion, Giga and EXS) for $199.
    We also decided to boost the GRANDIOSO Yamaha C7 (POP/ROCK PIANO) further by lowering it’s price to $175.
    The new price for the Steinway D is set to $ 225

All prices are for new orders and are valid until Jan. 31.

We’re also introducing all the GRANDIOSO pianos in 24 bits format for HALion, Kontakt and EXS. The first releases have been added to our list of products and we’re hoping to have all pianos in all formats available before the first of Jan. 04.

Together with the lower prices we will offer major discounts on the next bundles:

The GRANDIOSO PIANO BUNDLE
    - The 3 GRANDIOSO pianos for $450 instead of $599.
    The 3 best pianos Michiel Post created for PMI are now available in an incredible bundle. You get all 3 piano\'s in your favourite sampler format for just $450! The 5 stars awarded PMI Bosendorfer 290 piano library that is recently called \"the piano library to beat!\" by EM. It suits any music style, from orchestral, jazz, new age to pop. The Steinway D is incredibly detailed and has a great sound for Jazz music. The C7 POP/ROCK piano is most suited for POP and ROCK music.

The Post Audio Media DVD Collections
    The Post Collection DVD 1:
    - Post Organ Toolkit: the most complete collection of church organ samples available, 111 programs!
    - Post Organs for GigaStudio: Amsterdam Concertgebouw and Haarlem Bavo cathedral organs with release triggered ambience!
    - Post Positive Organ: A small cabinet organ multi-sampled in all its registrations. Samples are 15 seconds long with perfect loops and release triggered stop sound.
    - Post Theatre Organs: All ranks of the immense STRUNK City Theatre Organ in Amsterdam . 50 multisamples for each rank with the original theatre reverberation tail.
    - Post Harpsichords Vol 1: One Flemish and one French harpsichord are covered in all their voicings including true release samples.
    - Post Harpsichords Vol 2: A beautiful virginal is covered including true release samples.
    - Post Fortpiano: A unique Fortepiano sampled with velocity layers, separate sustain pedal down notes and release triggered stop samples.
    - Normal price of these 7 cd-roms is $ 628. Now all these libraries are available on one DVD for just $ 400 (that‘s a >40% discount).

The Post Collection DVD 2
    - Post Estonia : An Estonia Concert Grand piano is a multi-velocity level chromatically sampled concert piano of the highest realism!
    - Post Piano Suite: A Steinway D with multi velocity layers, release samples, a prepared piano, Celesta, Glockenspiel, Marimba, Vibes, Hackbrett and many electric piano samples.
    - Post Accordions: 7 high class accordions sampled in all voicings with stunning expressiveness!
    - Post Church Bells: Over 30 tuned chuch bell samples.
    - Post Anvils: Over 25 anvils and other large metal objects.
    - Post Harpsichords Vol 1: One Flemish and one French harpsichord are covered in all their voicings including true release samples.
    - Post Harpsichords Vol 2: A beautiful virginal is covered including true release samples.
    - Post Fortpiano: A unique Fortepiano sampled with velocity layers, separate sustain pedal down notes and release triggered stop samples.
    - Normal price of these 8 cd-roms is $ 644. Now all these libraries are available on one DVD for just $ 400! (that’s a >40% discount).

The Post Collection DVD 1 & 2
    - Post Organ Toolkit: the most complete collection of church organ samples available, 111 programs!
    - Post Organs for GigaStudio: Amsterdam Concertgebouw and Haarlem Bavo cathedral organs with release triggered ambience!
    - Post Positive Organ: A small cabinet organ multi-sampled in all its registrations. Samples are 15 seconds long with perfect loops and release triggered stop sound.
    - Post Theatre Organs: All ranks of the immense STRUNK City Theatre Organ in Amsterdam . 50 multisamples for each rank with the original theatre reverberation tail.
    - Post Fortpiano: A unique Fortepiano sampled with velocity layers, separate sustain pedal down notes and release triggered stop samples. Post Estonia : An Estonia Concert Grand piano is a multi-velocity level chromatically sampled concert piano of the highest realisme!
    - Post Piano Suite: A Steinway D with multi velocity layers, release samples, a prepared piano, Celesta, Glockenspiel, Marimba, Vibes, Hackbrett and many electric piano samples.
    - Post Accordions: 7 high class accordions sampled in all voicings with stunning expressiveness!
    - Post Church Bells: Over 30 tuned chuch bell samples.
    - Post Anvils: Over 25 anvils and other large metal objects. Now for an amazing low price: $700! (>50% discount).

All these prices are effective as of today and orders are taken in our on-line store at www.postpiano.com

Re: PMI product prices

A stupid question: but was the BOS recorded aat 24/96 (I assume so)? So sound quality on Kontakt should be better than on Gigastudio, which right now only runs the 16 bit version??

Also, could you explain for technopeasants (like me) the meaning of \"virtual instrument,\" the incorporation of \"effects,\" \"direct from disc,\" and the sequencer compatibility of the Kontakt version of the BOS.

\"PMI BOSENDORFER 290 comes as a VIRTUAL INSTRUMENT which includes a high-performance NATIVE INSTRUMENTS interface powered by the efficient KONTAKT audio engine, including Direct-from-Disk*, for Mac and PC (*You can use the freely-downloadable Direct-from-Disk extension).

The VIRTUAL INSTRUMENT combines intuitive handling with excellent 24-bit sound quality, and functions as a plug-in instrument, without the need for a sampler.

For the sonically adventurous, many sound shaping tools have been built in to the interface. Powerful multi-mode filters, envelopes, and LFOs give a wealth of creative possibilities. Integrated high-quality reverb, chorus, and delay effects are also provided.\"

My main problem with GS is pops and clicks where there a heayy pedal is combined with lot of notes. How does Kontakt handle that issue?

Where I\'m going with this is: I\'m thinking of purchasing Bos for Kontakt, as long as there is Cakewalk and Audigy compatibility.

Excuse the rambling. I\'ve been sequencing all night.

JG

For any folks that might be tuning in here, it looks like Michiel has recently added a number of Kontakt BOS demos, in a dedicated Kontakt Bos demo section. Most of the demos are at 320 kps. I\'ve just listened to the Mozart and, I must say, the sound quality is, well, beyond belief.

Perhaps Michiel could tell us HOW did you make that Mozart clip: Kontakt version?; more important: Pmi Bos version (16 layer? 8 Layer + sustain? 8 layer + release?), type of pedalling used? (it\'s perfect, flawless) Sound card? Sequencer? Effects added? Tweaking to the sample or final result, if any)?

The Mozart converted to 320 kps sounds better than my wave files, made with the BOS pmi giga compatible version. Is that the 24/96 kicking in?

Bottom line: what software and hardware to I need to get this sound? I still can\'t believe my ears. This is the best, the clearest, the most sonically convincing demo of a sampled piano I have ever heard. A kind of revelation. So it CAN be done!

JG

Originally posted by JohnGrant:
    A stupid question: but was the BOS recorded aat 24/96 (I assume so)? So sound quality on Kontakt should be better than on Gigastudio, which right now only runs the 16 bit version??
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">John - fyi, Halion also runs 24-bit. This may be important only if you are on OS-X as Halion\'s OS-X disk streaming is superb. There are many posts in these forums stating that Kontakt disk streaming is not ready for prime time yet on a Mac with OS-X

Whether 24-bit sounds better than 16-bit appears to be more opinion based than science. Several blind taste tests here have shown that experienced users taking the test could not consistently hear the difference between 16-bit and 24-bit versions of the same demo. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

What I\'ve done is an AB comparison of the 320 kps file at Michiel\'s site, section by section, to the same midi file playing through the Bos on Gigasampler on my computer, and there\'s no comparison: what\'s really striking is the headroom and the absolute clarity of the high end in Michiel\'s version. It\'s just NOT there when I listen to it through my Giga BOS. I\'m not saying it\'s the 24/96 factor. But I\'m running Michiel\'s file and my file through the same computer and sound card. It might be the sample Michiel used, but I can\'t think why whatever he used would be so much better than the 8 layer wet BOS with sustain that I used. The high end and headroom should be equally good on all the wet samples (which btw I like much better than the dry ones) I hope Michiel can enlighten me. Whatever he\'s using to make that souund, I want to be able to duplicate it. It\'s unbelievable.

JG

For any folks that might be tuning in here, it looks like Michiel has recently added a number of Kontakt BOS demos, in a dedicated Kontakt Bos demo section.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey John,

What\'s the link? I can\'t find this.

Thanks,

Lawrence

I\'m looking for it again, Lawrence. You\'re right. It\'s not easy to find!! Give me a moment.

JG

Man, that was HARD to find! Here it is:
    http://www.postpiano.com/products/demos/plug/plugdemo.htm

Listen to the 320 kps Mozart. Blows his other classical demos out of the water. I\'ve always thought Michiel\'s demos did insufficient justice to his product. But listen to this one. Unbelievable.

JG

JG
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The Bos290 was recorded in 24 bits but not at 96 kHz, it was in 48kHz. The sound quality of the Kontakt version and Kompakt Plug-In is 24 bits so this gives some improvement in sound quality over the GigaStudio 16 bit version.

Also, could you explain for technopeasants (like me) the meaning of \"virtual instrument,\" the incorporation of \"effects,\" \"direct from disc,\" and the sequencer compatibility of the Kontakt version of the BOS.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Virtual Studio Technology
    A plug-in effects processing engine for DAW software that was created by Steinberg. The VST engine works with the VST-enabled host software to allow audio and MIDI effects processing, synth and sampled sound modules, and mastering tools to run in real time with multitrack digital audio, operating in a fashion similar to how the auxiliary sends on an outboard mixer work, in that you can assign plug-ins to a channel (or channels) of audio or MIDI in the host VST audio recording/editing software. VST has become arguably the most proliferated plug-in engine for DAW software, mainly because of Steinberg\'s support for third-party development and also due to the fact that VST plug-ins are developed for both the Mac and Wintel platforms (note that they are not interchangeable with one another; they are also not compatible with any other plug-in engine). Aside from the wealth of high-quality retail plug-ins, there are also shareware and freeware VST plug-ins offered in a plethora of locales around the web.

Streaming generally refers a method of data delivery. Data is often said to flow in a stream. Most specifically streaming data is a type of data that flows from a particular source to a single destination. In our case the data streams from the hard drive to the CPU and audio card.
    The firts sampler to do this was GigaSampler developed by Nemesys Music. It was one of the first widely successful software sampler to employ a technology where only a sample\'s initial attack would be loaded into RAM while the rest could be streamed off of a hard drive in real time.
    Kontakt/Kompakt use a seperate \"Direct From Disk\" (DFD) extension which is available for download to all KONTAKT/KOMPAKT users. The \"Direct From Disk\" feature enables KONTAKT to play samples directly from the hard drive. Sample size is no longer be limited by the amount of physical RAM - an instrument can be as large as available hard drive space. Instruments assigned to KONTAKTs\' \"Direct From Disk\" mode load many times faster than RAM-based instruments.

My main problem with GS is pops and clicks where there a heayy pedal is combined with lot of notes. How does Kontakt handle that issue?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Here is a short explantion of the DFD settings under Kontakt which explains some basic rules to think of when using streaming.
    First you should note that the read rate of any hard disk generally is much slower compared with the computer\'s RAM. On the other side, on a modern hard disk running in a good configured system, it is possible to get 100 voices and more without any dropouts.

If you get a very bad performance in DfD mode, you should try out the following things:

Defrag the hard disk where your samples are located. This is an essential point, since otherwise a lot of samples will not be read in one block, but the DfD read pointer has to jump between the parts of a sample which are scattered on your hard disk. Nearly all operating systems have an included disk defragmentation tool. A defragmented disk also helps increasing the performance of a sequencer\'s audio track playback, by the way.

Even more important is the optimum DfD setting in Kompakt. Unfortunately there is not a general rule how to set it up, but you have to experiment with the setting to match the best result for your individual system:

• NORMAL (Medium polyphony / medium memory)

Use this setting if you do not have much memory (up to 256 MB RAM) available and you want to play your instruments with not more than 64 streaming voices.

• HIGH PERFORMANCE (Medium polyphony / high memory)

Use this setting if you have much memory (512+ MB RAM) available

• LARGE INSTRUMENTS (Low polyphony / high memory)

Use this setting if you want to use instruments with many samples and have much memory (512+ MB RAM) available, but you will not use many streaming voices.

• SMALL INSTRUMENTS (High polyphony / medium memory)

Use this setting if you have small instruments and want to play them with high polyphony.

• EXPERT SETTINGS

Here you can set all parameters individually if you want to optimize the DFD settings depending on your system and on the sample material that you will be using. If none of the previous settings improved the performance, you should experiment with two parameters \"Preload Buffer Size\" and \"Voice Buffer Size\". Always have an eye on the display Mem Total, since with very high settings your physical RAM might be exceeded.

DFD - Voice buffer size

The voice buffer size is the size that you want to assign to each voice that will be streamed. This enables you to use more RAM for each voice that will be streamed and less RAM for each sample that is loaded into RAM. A higher voice buffer setting is very useful if you have a slow harddrive, a smaller voice buffer setting will use less RAM but will stress your harddrive more.

DFD - Bounce mode

Sometimes when rendering or bouncing audiotracks from within your host sequencer, dropouts or crackles may be noticable in the rendered track. The reason for this is the communication from the host to the plugin. Some hosts render the tracks without any problem, some not. In case your host might have problems with rendering the audio tracks, the bounce button appears in the Kontakt interface. In this case press this bounce button when rendering your audio tracks.

Hope this helps...

Perhaps Michiel could tell us HOW did you make that Mozart clip: Kontakt version?; more important: Pmi Bos version (16 layer? 8 Layer + sustain? 8 layer + release?), type of pedalling used? (it\'s perfect, flawless) Sound card? Sequencer? Effects added? Tweaking to the sample or final result, if any)?

Bottom line: what software and hardware to I need to get this sound? I still can\'t believe my ears. This is the best, the clearest, the most sonically convincing demo of a sampled piano I have ever heard. A kind of revelation. So it CAN be done!

JG
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The Mozart clip is a simple example of the PMI Bos290 plug-in. I used the latest Wet 16 layer instruments (16 layers pedal up, 16 layers pedal down, 4 layers of release samples).
    The Plug-In worked under Cubase SX (VSTi mode).
    I normally enable the main equaliser in the PMI Bos 290 Plug-In and use it as a 3-band parametetric eq to add some brilliance when a piece needs it. I don\'t remember if any additional eq was used (if so, it\'s always maximum of + or - 1 db with a rather broad frequency range).

The midi file was unaltered from a popular midi source.

The file is bounced to disk in WAV format 24 bits.

I then import the bounced file in ProTools for mastering. (this could also be done in Cubase, just a matter of what tools there are available).

In the ProTools mixer I used a little L2 (level maximizer, a psycho-acoustic based leveller from WAVES). This WAVES effects plug-in is essential for the better sound I think. You could try if you can get the demo version from the www.waves.com website.

The result from this is bounced to disk by ProTools exporting it into a nice clean MP3 in 320 kbps.

The sampler playback machine I did this demo on is a modest Pentium 4 (1.8 GHz) with 1 GB of RAM. Soundcard is not an issue as it\'s all bounced internally. But I use the M-Audio Delta series a lot.
    I would guess that your Audigy card is performing ok with Cubase. It must have Asio drivers for better latency.
    All in all this demo music PC is a rather cheap set-up. It\'s more than 18 months old.

If you are experiencing drop-outs and clicks with Giga on your current system you almost certainly need a faster CPU (or your hard drives are seriously fragmented -see my previous post-). Giga is very efficient in audio streaming and if Giga gives you pops and clicks, everythings else will click also.
    I built several new PC\'s lately. Most new Pentium 4 systems are running with CPU speeds above 2.6 GHz and they all work fine for Kontakt/Kompakt. There are a lot of factors that are important (800 Mhz front side bus speed, DC-DDR PC3200/400 memory, SATA drives etc) ut when you explain your situation to PC re-seller they can give you advise on what to buy or build.

Go Back to forum