• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What perc samples would you like in upc. free sample library?

Share/Bookmark

What perc samples would you like in upc. free sample library?

Dear friends,

I would like you to suggest what perc-instruments you would like sampled.

I will start my recording sessions (in the G-Town tradition) in start/middle of February. I have taken up Bruces advice and will buy a pair of Rode NT-1000 for the initial recordings. I would LOVE to sample any perc instrument that people could/would suggest in here - so please - name anything you would like. So far I have planned for these samples (all gonna be recorded in church with natural ambiences). All recordings will be done in aim of playability. Meaning several velocities, flams and fx. Also pitchings on pitchable drums like rototams, talking drums etc. Here goes the list so far:

High quality tablas

Copper Darbuka

Didgeridoo (Both perc hits, blowings, stacblows)

Talking drums

Rototams

Snares (velocity hits)

Sabres (sound of swooshes and clings)

Sledgehammer PC smash (AMD 200HZ)

Booksmashes (meaning I close a big dictionary very fast - which can actually give some rather nasty sounds)

And alot of surprises - as I will try to play on everything I can - from empty cola cans to throwing out tons of pingpong balls on the floor.

Let me hear what you would like.

Love - Chris

Re: What perc samples would you like in upc. free sample library?

I\'ve always wanted riveted or sizzle suspended cymbals. LOP doesn\'t have them, and there\'s many instances where I needed them.

HI Lewis

If you have the opportunity to get your hands on a tam-tam (big gong) that would IMO be a great addition. Lotsa possibilities for scrapes and sizzles too..

The sound of a big heavy iron chain thrown to the ground would also be nice.

Nice initiative, good luck and glædelig jul. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

metal buckets of different sizes slammed into each other.

before you destroy the PC, take the side covers off and slam those together and into other things (if they are metal)

pop some light bulbs.

I\'m just saying these, because I assume you\'re recording in a space with a bit of ambience [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

find something circular and flat, drop it an angle, and record the sound of it rotating down till its flat on the ground (like a quarter does when you spin it). The sound might make some cool \"wooshing\". It can be done with some cymbals for instance.

disregard

disregard as well

Hi

Thanks for the initiative. I think a bell tree is really important. Most samples available now are too short and clangy. It would be great for you trecord some lovely long bell tree swooshes, as well as sustaining twinkles. A bell tree gives a lovely lift to some orchestral cues, especially mystical or angelical ones.

Thanks again, and good luck!

Originally posted by A_Sapp:
    I\'ve always wanted riveted or sizzle suspended cymbals. LOP doesn\'t have them, and there\'s many instances where I needed them.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Aaron

You can find a nice riveted light ride in the CD Peter Erskine Living Drums.
    There\'s no mallets hits or cresc rolls tho, only drumsticks hits...

Chris,
    Please take some pictures or a quicktime movie when you\'ll hammer the PC. We\'d like to enjoy the moment too [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Christian

If you\'re going to do tabla, please, if you can, get a real tabla player and record the individual correct, traditional strokes (na, dhin, tin, etc.) as well as the combination strokes and multile versions (speeds) of the banya. Also, as the dayan is tuned to the pitch of the instrument, C is a frequently used pitch (or Db, I made the mistake of not checking when I bought my set (I studied sarod for several years)and they\'re for vocal use, F-A or so, they won\'t tune up that high-or low...)

Dasher

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Lewis:
    Dear friends,

I would like you to suggest what perc-instruments you would like sampled.

I will start my recording sessions (in the G-Town tradition) in start/middle of February. I have taken up Bruces advice and will buy a pair of Rode NT-1000 for the initial recordings.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That wasn\'t my advice, exactly. I was just saying that the NT-1000 is less hyped than the NTK, and would be a more natural sounding choice...but for a single stereo pair in that kind of environment, I\'d probably opt for renting a pair of B&K 4011s on the high end (or buying an NT-5 pair on the cheap). Personally, I wouldn\'t record with only a single pair in that reflective of an environment--you\'d only get one shot at a decent balance. Instead, I\'d spot-mic 2-3 feet from the instrument, and use a stereo pair at your virtual \"conductor\" position...and mix it offsite. That way you\'d have some post-production control over the sound.

But my actual advice, which I\'m sure you don\'t want, is that none of these instruments will be well served by that environment. In particular, Tabla and Talking Drum are 100% language based instruments. What you\'re talking about doing is tantamount to recording a voiceover in a parking garage. Or saying mass in a mosque, from a cultural perspective.

I\'m just not sure what you\'re trying to accomplish. Even in soundtrack work, those instruments tend to be used fairly dry like a rhythm section, with the orchestral component wrapped around them in a larger virtual space. I don\'t see how \"high quality\" Tabla playing benefits from losing so much detail--you won\'t even be able to discern the difference in syllables, which will render it more of a noisemaker or effect than an actual Tabla with any truthful reflection of its playing technique. With the talking drum, the reflection of the impact is very likely to drown out the tone of the sustain completely.

So there\'s the advice you don\'t want to hear, haha. I think experimentation is great, and I only mean to raise issues that I think are likely to bite you.

Go Back to forum