• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What kind(s) of VST shells are you guys using?

Share/Bookmark

Re: What kind(s) of VST shells are you guys using?

V-Stack is working really cool with our Spectrasonics instruments...really an awesome standalone rig for Atmosphere!

spectrum

Anyone knows a good VST host for Win98? I found out VStack is only for XP, and since I plan on using GS on Win98 still, I need a VST-host for 98. I found Orion, but maybe there\'s something more dedicated for VST hosting?

Simon. Why not upgrade to XP, its so much better in most regards? Sorry for asking...

Love - Chris

V-Stack is working really cool with our Spectrasonics instruments...really an awesome standalone rig for Atmosphere!

spectrum
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">hmm... i like your atmosphere but i dislike your neverending chef\'s suggestion of v-stack. i dl\'ed it, following your recommendation and found it totally useless, since it doesnt allow multiple/independent VSTIs. the only steinberg way to use atmosphere AND stylus AND absynth AND... AND... AND is sx. please correct me, if i\'m wrong, but so far v-stack only allows you to \"stack\" the VSTIs...

BUT: since v-stack seems to be a shortened sx, steinberg should be able, to implement this major feature asap... hamburg rulez ;-)

Sharmy, nope I am not using Firewire - I have pretty basic motherboards for my GS systems without many bells and whistles. If Firewire is supported by Win98 I can\'t see why it wouldnt work great. I\'ve heard about people using USB2 connected harddrives for GS/audio with great success.

Spectrum, how is MIDI timing with Atmospheres or Stylus using V-Stack compared to as a VST plug-in within a sequencing application.

I was under the impression that you could run multiple VST instruments using V-Stack.
    False?

Originally posted by sönke:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\"> V-Stack is working really cool with our Spectrasonics instruments...really an awesome standalone rig for Atmosphere!

spectrum
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">hmm... i like your atmosphere but i dislike your neverending chef\'s suggestion of v-stack. i dl\'ed it, following your recommendation and found it totally useless, since it doesnt allow multiple/independent VSTIs. the only steinberg way to use atmosphere AND stylus AND absynth AND... AND... AND is sx. please correct me, if i\'m wrong, but so far v-stack only allows you to \"stack\" the VSTIs...

BUT: since v-stack seems to be a shortened sx, steinberg should be able, to implement this major feature asap... hamburg rulez ;-)
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">V-Stack does allow multiple VST usage, by using separate MIDI input ports...that works right away if you have a multiport MIDI interface on your \"V-Stack Synth Rack\" computer. If you want to address different MIDI channels as different modules, you can use MIDI OX and MIDI yoke to trick V-Stack into doing this.

(There\'s an extensive thread on cubase.net in the VST instruments forum about how to do this if you are interested)

Another good program is Chainer, which there\'s also a lot of info about on Cubase.net

Latency can be very good with a RME Hammerfall card and the latest drivers....certainly as good as GS.

Hope that helps!

spectrum

XP only?.....

grrrrrrrr

I\'m only running 98SE machines. They work really well, and I dont want to screw things up by getting another OS. I keep hearing issues about loading times, and RAM issues with people who moved to XP.

I\'m going to build a VSTi Machine, but CRAP...I\'ll have to build more than one for QLSO.

GS3.0....where are you?

EDIT-

er Nevermind... If forgot it\'s standalone [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thank god - V-Stack runs on W2K as well.
    I don\'t wan\'t to move to XP - heard all sorts
    of strange stuff about it.

How\'bout this one:
    If you install/replace more than 5 hardware
    devices you\'ll have to call mr.Gates to get
    a licence update! - Can anyone confirm this?

Bjarne

V-Stack does allow multiple VST usage, by using separate MIDI input ports...that works right away if you have a multiport MIDI interface on your \"V-Stack Synth Rack\" computer. If you want to address different MIDI channels as different modules, you can use MIDI OX and MIDI yoke to trick V-Stack into doing this.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">.. thx for advice... i never got deeper into solving that problem, since i also caught an sx crossgrade and still love my logic on mac ;-)) anyway, never heard of MIDI yoke or MIDI OX before - finding the time, i\'ll risk a glance on them ... i only thought, it should be mentioned, that your recommendation does not work right out of the box...

bw,
    sönke

Go Back to forum