• Register
  • Help

Topic: Piano Concerto 2: Rachmaninov: 3rd Movement

Share/Bookmark

Piano Concerto 2: Rachmaninov: 3rd Movement

In conversation with Englishgent a few days ago I mentioned that I have been working on this. Here is the 3rd movement with a few tweaks. It's only taken 3 years so far - not all the time.

I used Garritan GPO, Halion Symphonic Orchestra (comes with Cubase), Philharmonik

https://www.box.com/s/0tsn6paqlso635m5ozux

Let me know what you think.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Re: Piano Concerto 2: Rachmaninov: 3rd Movement

Derek - This project is really simply mind-blowing. What an incredibly impressive labor of love this is for you. I can't even really imagine the deep sense of satisfaction this must bring you.

And listening to this just now provided me an immensely engrossing, satisfying experience. Anyone who listens to this couldn't help but be swept away by Rachmaninov's magical music, and your painstakingly detailed homage.

Big round of applause, take a deep bow.

So I've told you what I think and feel. You wanted feedback - allow me two small technical notes, which may actually distill into one?

--I feel you been overly cautious with the reverb. By now I'm sure you know how I favor less reverb than a lot of people, but once in awhile I'll hear something that just doesn't have enough air around the notes. In this, the piano sounds like it's being played in a parlor, but of course that's impossible since the piano is playing with a full orchestra.

One of the things the spare reverb is doing in this, is making the cut off of notes sound a bit unnatural. I was going to say that I'm hearing the chopped off sound I find in the current version of GPO's strings, remedied by moving the Length control up a tiny bit - I feel the default preset for that is too short. But you're using several libraries, and I don't know what all was used for the strings.

In the opening, I know the strings are meant to be aggressive and clipped, but the ending of notes still sounds more like samples cut off squarely rather than with the very slight fade even fast notes have in real life.

AND that artifact of slightly unnatural endings would probably disappear with just a bit more reverb. That's why I said my two notes could probably be distilled into one note.

It would be a worthy experiment at least, to inch the Sends up just slightly, so you can see if you can reach that balance where the sound isn't as claustrophobic but the details aren't being lost in a wash.

All that aside - MORE APPLAUSE - I'm frankly astounded.

Randy

Re: Piano Concerto 2: Rachmaninov: 3rd Movement

Thanks a lot Randy, I'll take this on board. Because I used more than one library, trying to get a big sound and full sound, I recorded everything without reverb on group of instruments at a time, then used three reverbs, left, right and piano, sending the instruments to either one or two reverbs and the piano to the middle.

I can easily up the levels and see how it sounds. Like you I don't like too much reverb as it swamps the sound, so I try to keep it lowish.

As I've spent a long time on this project, (there are two other movements - all the notes in just needs to be mixed) I want to get it right. Plenty of time left to finish it.

Derek
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Go Back to forum