• Register
  • Help

Topic: Proud Supporter of Garritan! World Instruments Here I Come!!!!

Share/Bookmark

Proud Supporter of Garritan! World Instruments Here I Come!!!!

Well, this will be the third library from Garritan I will be purchasing! It started out with Garritan Instant Orchestra, then Garritan Personal Orchestra, and now it is going to be Garritan World Instruments!!! I love you Garritan and team! You are my family of music instruments :P!!! Every dollar I have spent in these libraries has been worth every cent!!! And for heck sake, I am sooooooo glad that there is no darn iLOK!

Randy!!! Your gonna hear some new sounding stuff!!! From this guy! LOL!

Okay, I am just a bit excited... I always get these adrenaline rushes when I buy awesome instrument libraries... "Takes towel and wipes sweat off of face."

All I can hear... is music playing through my ears ahhaahahah!

Now, where is darn debit visa!!! The life saver of ordering online!

Re: Proud Supporter of Garritan! World Instruments Here I Come!!!!

Ahh!!! Purchased, installed... its mine!!! all mine!!!! I think I am going to have to take vocation to Egypt now :PPPPP I have been waiting to get this library for a long time now. It was wha tI was originally going to get before Garritan Instant Orchestra. Now lets load up some samples!!!

lol, sorry for the third post, but I have to say. I am impressed. The winds in this library are far better than any of the others. This is exactly what I was looking for. There is a sense of emotion ion these winds built in naturally.

This is what I want to do, it is one of my favorite scores in gaming history:

Fantastic to see your enthusiasm sururick!

That's a great track, Richard - I'll see about giving you something along those lines for my next Erthia piece I do for you.

I already have some very nice ethnic flute sounds that have a great beautiful tone for something like this.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Congratulations, Richard! I love this thread with its complete story arc - pre-purchase excitement, sound up anticipation, then - AAaah- triumph!

You're going to have a great time. You'll be able to get much closer to the sound of productions like in the video you posted. Combining all three Garritan Libraries you have will be the key - layering.

To use a term I like, you "resonate" with the sound of primitive, ethnic instruments from around the world, because they're an important element in your favorite kind of music - epic gaming music. The woodwinds in World are the hand made bone, Bamboo, stone and wood carved instruments which can have a wonderful unrefined, "earthy" sound. We can have a primal response to the folksy sound these kinds of instruments have, and we respond similarly to the primitive, muted sound of drums made by native peoples worldwide. The instruments we're accustomed to hearing in Western music have gone through centuries of development and refinement and have a more smooth, tuned and complex sound appropriate for orchestras and small ensembles.

One can't be said to be "better" than the other. Instruments from the two groups, World and what could be called "Modern," serve very different purposes. For instance, a complicated concert flute with its intricate system of keys, pads, springs and its precise tuning slide can hardly be recognized as the same kind of instrument as a Native American Flute which is simply a piece of wood with holes carved in it. The former has a characteristically "silvery" sound and is virtually perfectly in tune with itself across its range. The latter has a rougher, "woody" sound, we usually hear more breath noise when its played, and the relative pitch from note to note isn't perfect. All those factors help give the instrument its characteristic sound. The concert flute is the appropriate instrument for all orchestral works, and is of course essential in film scores by John Williams, Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer et al. But for music intended to evoke more exotic times and places, nothing takes the listener there faster than even just a few notes played on a primitive hand-made flute.

So, the two kinds of instruments serve two different purposes. You have a strong preference for gaming music, and that makes adding World to your music arsenal a very good move. Your post just inspired me to rap a bit about how there's a huge variety of sounds available to us in the Garritan Libraries, and that none are really "better" than others. It would be very difficult to find a collection of the basic woodwind family better than those in GPO, for instance. But I've heard people try to have a GPO flute stand in for things like Irish folks songs that simply must have the sound of an actual Irish Flute in order to sound more authentic. People sometimes try to use the orchestral winds to simulate a Recorder ensemble, and of course the result is far too refined than if they had World and had used the collection of Recorders to be found there.

And so on. You tripped me out. My main reason for writing is to say HAVE FUN!

Here's a picture of your back porch, with all those great World instruments spilling out on it!

Randy

@Alan:
    Thanks Alan! I am glad to have this to my collection. I am trying to stick with all Garritan to the best I can. I am finding the Aria player to be quite convenient and efficient. I love how all libraries work together in it. The built in reverbs and mixer is such a great incentive with Aria!

@Graham:
    That be cool! Heroes of Might and Magic IV had the best OST out of the entire HOMM series in my opinion. I loved this tune since I first heard it back when I first got the game years ago. Thanks again for your help with LOE. This is saving me a lot of time and allowing me to focus on the actual game development.

@Randy:
    Oh, I am having much fun Randy! Only problem is, LOL, I haven't heard of 90% of the names of the instruments lol! This is like a true learning experience going through each sound, I love it! You have a point on the term, "better." The proper term should have been good for certain areas in where the flutes go. Each instrument has it's place. You know what I am also really looking forward to is placing one of these flutes with my new Black Grand. I have heard some good asian-game music which do this (exotic flute and piano) and it sounds remarkable. Well, I better try and get some sleep LOL! Gotta get up for work in a few hours... The world of Garritan as submerged me into a deep trance and I have lost track of time. HEHE! Also, I like the photo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    ...I haven't heard of 90% of the names of the instruments lol! This is like a true learning experience going through each sound, I love it!...
    I know exactly what you mean! Every time I use World, part of it is a research project, Google at the ready so I can read about the instruments and hear authentic examples - It's great! The manual is helpful in that regard, with good pictures and text about each instrument, that's a good place to start.

This is all so super, Richard - I look forward to hearing you use some World instruments in upcoming music projects!

Randy

Is it sad that I think I actually own 95% of those actual instruments? I love my dunduns, djembes, and doumbeks. I think if I spent just half the money that I have in these instruments I could have purchased every sound library in the world by now, LOL. Well, thank goodness for the less expensive World Instruments.
    ~Rodney

@Rodney:
    That is awesome Rodney. Owning an actual instrument is precious. I always wanted a real piano, but... too much $$$. Having the ethnic instruments makes collections much more interesting.

I wanted to share another beautiful composition from the same game (HOMM IV) The whole game soundtrack was composed of world instruments It stands out from many of the other games in the series.

Here is another great one from the HOMM IV:

Haven Theme (Life):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNz026pZP84

Go Back to forum