• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Hey Bruce... (Re: CSI)

Share/Bookmark

Hey Bruce... (Re: CSI)

I can\'t stand CSI (instead of dialog, it\'s only characters narrating plot to each other....bleaaahh!! Murder She Wrote II).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">While I think that statement is true in some respect. You gotta remember that there\'s simply no other way to write it. If it was a TV show about a composer team, they would say things to each other like \"Hey Bob, I think I\'m gonna compress this track, therefore by compressing the track the transients will xyz\". Same goes for the investigators. Sure in real life they wouldn\'t say these things to each other, but I doubt that more than .0001 % of CSI\'s viewers are in fact real life Crime Scene Investigators. So part of the writers job is to \"explain\" to me/us what the hell they\'re doing [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] and explain in a way that\'s interesting and \"dramatic\". [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

If this dialogue was \"not\" present there would be the lingering questions of \"what are they doing right now\"... well that, and a lot of silence. I mean what real CSI talks that much while collecting evidence. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It\'s prime time TV, Bruce.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

--------

My question to anyone who knows: They use a \"voice-analyzing-thingy\" on the show. The tech guy pulls it up on a plasma monitor and strips away elements of sound as if he\'s muting tracks. Now, my senses tell me that this is impossible. Is it? Is there a software that these people use to do this, and if so, what\'s it called (I need to pause it once to see what software he\'s using, looks like pro-tools [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ). I\'d also like to say; I think the tech guy should get better monitors. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Hey Bruce... (Re: CSI)

BTW-- can you wait to delete this till Bruce sees it. Thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[quote]Originally posted by kid-surf:
    My question to anyone who knows: They use a \"voice-analyzing-thingy\" on the show. The tech guy pulls it up on a plasma monitor and strips away elements of sound as if he\'s muting tracks. Now, my senses tell me that this is impossible. Is it? Is there a software that these people use to do this, and if so, what\'s it called (I need to pause it once to see what software he\'s using, looks like pro-tools [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ). I\'d also like to say; I think the tech guy should get better monitors. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Kid,
    I think you mean this
    http://www.merging.com/2002/News_Folder/pr_Nova.htm
    Algorithmix have a web page too but there aren\'t any details on this plug yet.
    I saw a Pyramix demo where they mixed a police siren with some dialog and then removed the siren with the plug. It\'s pretty impressive.

Brian

Kind of on the subject, I saw Drumline last night.

Maybe I\'m biased cause I was in drumline in high school, but I swear they did not get one single aspect of marching band down right.

My favorite part was when the rebellious non-reading srummer was in a personal drum-off with the section leader in the practice room. A machine is recording this drum-off and prints out some notation of what he just played (sounded like typical marching band stuff, sixteenth notes with double-stroke rolls mixed in) and the section leader looks at the sheet and say \"I\'ve never seen combinations of patterns like this\"....I almost fell out of my chair laughing. Combinations of patterns?.....Is he talking about rudiments? Ya know those things they teach you before they ever even let you near an actual drum?

Anyway, I do not know of a machine like that either. Maybe one that can recognize midi info when set to a tempo, but not one that uses a mic to analyze live drumming and can recognize the difference between double-stroke, single-stroke and buzz rolls. Bah....Hollywood!!!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by kid-surf:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\"> I can\'t stand CSI (instead of dialog, it\'s only characters narrating plot to each other....bleaaahh!! Murder She Wrote II).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">While I think that statement is true in some respect. You gotta remember that there\'s simply no other way to write it. If it was a TV show about a composer team, they would say things to each other like \"Hey Bob, I think I\'m gonna compress this track, therefore by compressing the track the transients will xyz\". Same goes for the investigators. Sure in real life they wouldn\'t say these things to each other, but I doubt that more than .0001 % of CSI\'s viewers are in fact real life Crime Scene Investigators. So part of the writers job is to \"explain\" to me/us what the hell they\'re doing [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] and explain in a way that\'s interesting and \"dramatic\". [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, but I think in the case of CSI it\'s just lazy design. They don\'t tell much story with the picture--it\'s all glamour-shots and stylized fru-fru which doesn\'t advance the plot. So, the dialog has to become idiotic narration in order for there to be any story at all. It would be a lot more interesting and dramatic to me to see some actual storytelling in picture!! It\'s clear they have a strong visual sensibility.

NYPD Blue tells more story in five minutes than CSI tells in an entire episode...I don\'t think that procedurals have to be spoon fed when you have a cast who can tell stories with their faces, and a design/writing team that knows how to cut the fluff and tell a story with more than words.

Not to say the music isn\'t grand...but I can\'t get through a full episode. The dialog is just so, SO forced. Obviously a pet peeve of mine [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Thanks Brian! Looks like an interesting plug. Although the one in CSI is like this elaborate software with many tracks. It may just be pro-tools masqueraded as this \"analyzer -thingy\".

His-F, the things we notice in films, eh. Wait I thought it was real! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Damn that Hollywood!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I hear you Bruce, guess the \"spoon feeding\" doesn\'t bother me. In fact my brain is mush by that time of night anyway, so fine, feed me some baby food! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] But now I ask the question; what do you think of the writing on Law and Order? Personally I\'d chose CSI to score out of anything on TV, I love the visuals and slick style.

BTW- I\'ve never seen 24, I meet the guy who mixes it a while back, said the composer was really good. I forgot that he won for best music. Next time it\'s on I\'m gonna tape it.

Originally posted by His Frogness:
    Maybe I\'m biased cause I was in drumline in high school, but I swear they did not get one single aspect of marching band down right.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Wow Mesa AZ! Sorry, this has nothing to do with an already offtopic post....Were you in highschool while living in Mesa, Frog? Mesa was my home town...if you did go to HS in Mesa, where you a Toro, Jackrabbit, or a Warrior?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I hear you Bruce, guess the \"spoon feeding\" doesn\'t bother me. In fact my brain is mush by that time of night anyway, so fine, feed me some baby food! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] But now I ask the question; what do you think of the writing on Law and Order? Personally I\'d chose CSI to score out of anything on TV, I love the visuals and slick style.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I give \'em about the same grade. The characters walk around and spout preachy narration to each other most of the time. I like the writing on The Practice and on NYPD Blue. I like the writing on ER. My wife likes 24 a lot...I\'m not into quite that level of suspense (since our occupation is suspenseful enough for me). The thread in all that, I guess, is that I want to care about the characters. I just don\'t find myself really caring about the characters on CSI and Law and Order. Except that the chick on Law and Order that looks like Ashton Cutcher scares me a little.

Yes, it\'s all exposition until the last chase and arrest scene. They\'ve carried the police procedural and the expository methods of Law and Order (cops talking to cops about the crime and leads) to their extreme.

I dislike the show because of its lack of realism and the use of good guys and bad guys. No shades of gray, here. The good guys are always right at the end. And the lead character is always doing things that I doubt someone with his job would do, like interviewing suspects with no detective in sight and consoling grieving relatives. I think he\'d be pretty much out of sight during a real investigation.

Thanks Brian! Looks like an interesting plug. Although the one in CSI is like this elaborate software with many tracks. It may just be pro-tools masqueraded as this \"analyzer -thingy\".
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Kid,
    Pyramix is an audio multitrack prog, I also think this plug is available for ProTools. I just remember seeing the 3D multicoloured display on a CSI episode.

BTW my previous post should have read..
    ..they mixed a police siren with some dialog and then removed the siren with the plug leaving the dialog intact

Brian

Go Back to forum