• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Best Free Virtual Instruments

Share/Bookmark

Best Free Virtual Instruments

Keep posting to this thread to keep it alive and near the top ...

My first link:

http://sonimusicae.free.fr/accueil-en.html

Harpsichords, salon organ, accordion, church bells, and piano. Old sample sets, in sfz, Kontakt 2, and Giga format, but very high quality (large files with every note sampled and really intelligent choices made about how to best translate them to MIDI keyboards). Obviously, a labor of love, that somebody has devoted a lot of time to.

Allegro Data Solutions

Re: Best Free Virtual Instruments

Super! Thanks for starting the new thread, ejr - It's an excellent idea. I hope people keep adding links to the good free stuff they've found.

The Soni Musicae site you've posted is outstanding. Just as you said, it's obviously been a labor of love for the folks who put together those instruments together.

Here's my contribution for my first post on this thread - A sample Library and playback engine which is legendary. Most everyone's heard of this, but if they don't have this yet, they're really missing out.

There's an interesting blog that has lots of information called "The Music and Recording Toolbox."

Here's what they said about--

INDEPENDENCE FREE FROM YELLOW TOOLS

"Here is another VST Discovery STUDIO ESSENTIALS SERIES plug-in for you. Unless you've been sleeping under a rock, you probably already know that Yellow Tools is the cream of the crop in the world of software instrument developers. Their Candy plug-in is as good as it gets in digitally recreated saxophone, and Independence is probably the most uniquely impressive sampler available today (although certainly not the best selling!) Independence combines the technologies of Virtual Instruments, premium sound libraries and workstation workflow in one single creative software solution.

This is a FULL VERSION - not a demo!
    It is based on the powerful Independence 2 audio engine
    Features Auto-RAM-Cleaner Multi-Core support for power efficiency
    Disk Streaming requires less memory than many other software samplers
    No Yellow Tools Authorization Key required
    Besides audio file import, all Independence software features are enabled!
    There are no time or save restrictions
    Commercial use is allowed
    Available for Mac OS X (Universal Binary), Windows XP & Vista

Independence Free comes with a 2 GB sound library of premium instruments from the Independence 2.0 Core Library that can be performed in an intuitive and authentic way. Please note that Yellow Tools requires you to register on their website to have access to the sampler and the 2 GB library."

It has to be the biggest, brightest freebie out there. GO GET IT if you don't have it!

(click the image to go to the download)

INDEPENDENCE FREE

Randy

Independence Free... I almost forgot I had that.

It's got a decent selection of instruments and drumkit, and lets you play around with its positioning-capable reverb with the built-in instruments. Was a bit crash-prone on my system though.

Throwing in http://freesound.org/ ... not a VST instrument in itself, but a repository of all sorts of samples people have recorded, some are CC licensed, some given away to the public domain... you'll have to put it together yourself whether it be in ARIA or Kontakt or whatever.

And, can't forget Sonatina Symphony Orchestra if we are making a list. SFZ format so you'll need a player like ARIA to use it.
    -- Matt Wong

Thanks for the contributions, Matt - "Freesound.org" is an organization and site I promote whenever possible. It's simply incredible how much audio is available for free there. I go there often to get sounds, mostly to use as one shots in audio/music projects, and that just involves importing the audio directly into the project file. In a "Tom Sawyer" song, I pulled out several hits of tap dancing, loaded them in a nifty Cakewalk/Sonar instrument and could play the hits on the keyboard without doing an involved SFZ programming session.

Sonatina is of course a cream-of-the-crop freebie that everyone should have.

Here's another contribution from me - Sample Tank. Awhile back I posted a piece that used the amazing female solo vocal from this freebie. The company, IK Multimedia, makes it kind of a complicated thing to simply register and get the product going, but the hassle is worth it. Very impressive collection of instruments comes with this free version, with plenty of controls available in the GUI.

Text from KVR Audio describing Sample Tank:

"SampleTank FREE is a full-featured version of SampleTank 2.5, with a 500 MB specially selected samples library. It is no longer limited - you can load multiple instances, it opens ALL SampleTank format sounds, has import functionality, and the ability to create your own user presets.

Features:

Over 500 MB samples for over 200 sounds included.
    16 part multi-timbral with easy layerable/mixable parts.
    3 synth engines:
    STRETCH (formant preserving pitch-shift/time-stretch).
    Polyphonic Pitch-Shift/Time-Stretch (PS/TS).
    Resampling.
    Powerful multi-effects section:
    5 insert effects per Part.
    5 Send effects.
    Master effects.
    33 built-in DSP effects derived from audio processors like T-RackS and AmpliTube.
    Part and Master Loop Sync.
    Can be expanded with: SampleTank 2.5 L and XL sounds and any "Powered by SampleTank" sound modules including Miroslav Philharmonik, Sonik Synth 2, SampleMoog, SampleTron.
    Can be expanded with any Xpansion Tank 2 sounds.
    Imports WAV, AIFF, SDII, AKAI S-1000/3000, SAMPLECELL.
    Available both as a standalone application as well as a plug-in.
    VST, RTAS, and AU on Mac OS X/Windows."

GET YER SAMPLE TANK!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Super! Thanks for starting the new thread, ejr - It's an excellent idea. I hope people keep adding links to the good free stuff they've found.

The Soni Musicae site you've posted is outstanding. Just as you said, it's obviously been a labor of love for the folks who put together those instruments together.

Here's my contribution for my first post on this thread - A sample Library and playback engine which is legendary. Most everyone's heard of this, but if they don't have this yet, they're really missing out.

There's an interesting blog that has lots of information called "The Music and Recording Toolbox."

Here's what they said about--

INDEPENDENCE FREE FROM YELLOW TOOLS

"Here is another VST Discovery STUDIO ESSENTIALS SERIES plug-in for you. Unless you've been sleeping under a rock, you probably already know that Yellow Tools is the cream of the crop in the world of software instrument developers. Their Candy plug-in is as good as it gets in digitally recreated saxophone, and Independence is probably the most uniquely impressive sampler available today (although certainly not the best selling!) Independence combines the technologies of Virtual Instruments, premium sound libraries and workstation workflow in one single creative software solution.

This is a FULL VERSION - not a demo!
    It is based on the powerful Independence 2 audio engine
    Features Auto-RAM-Cleaner Multi-Core support for power efficiency
    Disk Streaming requires less memory than many other software samplers
    No Yellow Tools Authorization Key required
    Besides audio file import, all Independence software features are enabled!
    There are no time or save restrictions
    Commercial use is allowed
    Available for Mac OS X (Universal Binary), Windows XP & Vista

Independence Free comes with a 2 GB sound library of premium instruments from the Independence 2.0 Core Library that can be performed in an intuitive and authentic way. Please note that Yellow Tools requires you to register on their website to have access to the sampler and the 2 GB library."

It has to be the biggest, brightest freebie out there. GO GET IT if you don't have it!

(click the image to go to the download)

INDEPENDENCE FREE

Randy
    I noticed te information included the statement, "Available for Mac OS X (Universal Binary), Windows XP & Vista" Meaning, I suspect that it will not function on a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro system?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    I noticed te information included the statement, "Available for Mac OS X (Universal Binary), Windows XP & Vista" Meaning, I suspect that it will not function on a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro system?
    "Independence" works fine on a 64 bit Windows 7 Pro computer - That's what I have, Tom.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    "Independence" works fine on a 64 bit Windows 7 Pro computer - That's what I have, Tom.

Randy
    Thank you kindly.

I got Independence working with Metro 7 with the latest OSX. A widow comes up asking to authenticate it. I guess you just click on free mode and it will be fully functional?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    ...A widow comes up asking to authenticate it. I guess you just click on free mode and it will be fully functional?...
    Wow, I wonder whose widow she is? Mrs. Independence? And now she Free?

It's been awhile since I set this up, Phil, but pretty sure you got that right, clicking on free mode.

Randy

Westgate had some nice freebies, quite a while back. Guitars, a trumpet, some percussion, too, I believe. First-rate stuff (like all their work) but I couldn't find a link to them. Their site is basically gone -- just a link to the vendor that sells their libraries.

I use the Westgate clarinets and French Horn all the time. The other day, I was looking for a different guitar for a number that I am working on. I wasn't sure what I wanted, so I was trying everything I could find on my sample drive, including Westgate's freebie steel string and nylon string guitars. Though they weren't what I was looking for (I ultimately used the 10-string guitar from JABB) I have to say they were impressive instruments. Lots of character and detail. What a shame that Westgate doesn't seem to be working on anything new.

PS - If anyone finds a live link to their freebies, it would be nice to post it here.

Allegro Data Solutions

Go Back to forum