• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help with Garritan Harps

Share/Bookmark

Help with Garritan Harps

I write almost exclusively for the harp. I have been using Finale for over 10 years, now up to Finale 2012. I had no trouble installing Garritan Harps and use it with Aria Player. But I am having difficulty understanding how to use Garritan Harps within the context of Finale. I've searched online, looked at the manual, and am generally baffled. I can load a harp sound (Lyon and Healy or Salvi, for example), and my Finale Notation will use that harp sound throughout the piece. But at certain measures, I want to be able to change the sound (go from sustained pluck to pres de la table, for instance, and I have no clue how to do this. Also, much of the sample sound clips that I have heard sound much more authentic than what I am able to generate.

If someone reading this has expertise in Garritan Harps, could you please contact me?

Thanks, Meg

Re: Help with Garritan Harps

Meg,

The demos on the site are usually done within sequencer programs instead of using a notation program. This allows more control over the final sound.

Below is a document from MakeMusic's site for changing articulations with keyswitched instruments.

While using Garritan instruments for playback, you can add a keyswitch at any point to change the instrument sound, for example, from arco to Pizzicato. A Keyswitch is simply a regular note outside the range of the instrument that triggers this change. For a list of Keyswitch mappings, see Garritan Finale Edition Instrument Details.

If Human Playback is enabled, text (such as “arco,” “pizz,” etc.) is interpreted and keyswitches are added automatically.
    If you are not using HP, choose from a list of keyswitch expressions available by default in the Expression Selection dialog box to add these effects.

You can also assign a Keyswitch to an expression manually by defining the expression to send a MIDI Note On message at the pitch of a Keyswitch. By doing this, you can invoke a Keyswitch by simply adding the expression defined accordingly (a “Pizz” text expression would change the playback to a pizzicato sound). Remember, Keyswitches are a feature of GPO, and will not apply to other playback devices.

To add Keyswitches as Expressions
    1.Click the Expression tool , and Double-Click the document. The Expression Selection dialog box appears.
    2.Click Create. Or, you could also select an existing Expression you would like to define to a Keyswitch and click Edit.
    3.Type the desired text. Set the font, size, style, make it hidden, or apply other text attributes.
    4.Click the Playback Tab. The playback options appear.
    5.Choose Type > Dump. The Playback Data Dump dialog box appears.
    6.For Number of Units, type 3. We will be sending 3 pieces of Data.
    7.For the Top Data box, type 144. This is the message for Note On.
    8.For the second Data box, type the MIDI Note number for the Keyswitch. For example, Arco = 0, Pizz = 5 in Finale GPO). For a complete list, see GPO Finale Edition Instrument Details.
    9.In the third data box, type 127. Since the note is below the instrument’s range, it will not sound.
    10.Click OK, OK, Assign to add the Expression. The performance style will change upon reaching this point during playback.

Jim

Jim, thanks so much for your detailed reply. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me out.

I followed exactly what you suggested. Unfortunately, there was no change in the keyswitch status even though I had created the expression with the data dump and then entered the newly formed expression into the score. For this reason, there was no change in the playback of the instrument. I could watch in Aria Player that the keyswitch never changed as the music was playing, despite my new marking.

Does there have to be a "$" sign in front of each of the three numbers I am entering in the Playback Datadump Window? I tried it both ways with no success.

Oddly, once I had completed all the steps, including entering number of units ("3"), then, "144", then the keyswitch "2", then "127", when I went back to the score and realized that the playback did not change and the key switch was not turned on, I returned to the Playback Datadump Window and saw each of the numbers converted to $44, $02 and $27, as if the one in the beginning of both the first and last numbers had been omitted. So the program doesn't seem to be accepting what I am typing in.

Any other advice you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks, Meg

Well, at least now I know what a keyswitch is even if the use of it eludes me... Again, many thanks.

Meg! Good heavens - It was 3 months ago when you first posted about your problems with Harps. I'm very sorry to see things still aren't going so well for you. I don't know what else to do - I posted your original issues to the ARIA developers, and communicated what I could to you.

But - this isn't at all helpful of me, but I just had to say after seeing this new thread, that it's a thread like this that makes me so grateful that I use DAW software, and rarely need to use a notation program. Keyswitches are utterly simple to use in a program like Sonar. You just play the keyswitch - voila, instant patch change. WHY in the world it should involve all this under-the-hood editing with arcane, confusing codes just to make a keyswitch key play in Finale is beyond me. How can that possibly be thought of as good programming? - They Have to come up with a better system for all these hapless Finale users I see online.

--Glad Jim "Haydn" is helping you out. I'm confident he'll help clear things up more for you.

Randy

Meg,

I have not had a chance to try the directions I posted for you. I agree with Randy that this is a very convoluted way to do keyswitch changes. I also do most of my music with DAW software and once in a while I use Finale.

Have you posted on the MakeMusic Finale forum regarding this or called them?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    Meg,I have not had a chance to try the directions I posted for you. I agree with Randy that this is a very convoluted way to do keyswitch changes. I also do most of my music with DAW software and once in a while I use Finale.Have you posted on the MakeMusic Finale forum regarding this or called them? Jim

I am about to give up.

I have had email exchanges with Finale Tech Support, tried what they suggested, and I cannot, using Garritan Harps, get the key switching to work. This is after spending $100 for Garritan Harps. I am totally discouraged.I appreciate your posts to me on this topic but I am stumped.

After using Finale for many years, I may switch to another product. Finale, in case you don't know, now only does email support. If you want step by step help on the phone, which they use to do for free, you have to pay $25 per question. I was just told this today.I tried each step recommended in their emails to me, with no success. The keyswitching did not occur at the proper point in the score. Thanks, Meg

Just wanted to throw out a suggestion to get things working, and albeit this is a crude way of doing it, this is how I handle keyswitches in the dinosaur-age notation program which I use that doesn't do any kind of integration with VST instruments and keyswitching... I've never used Finale so I can't comment on how simple or not this may be to do, but maybe it'll give you some ideas or at least get things working until the 'proper' way is figured out.

I create a second staff right below the main one for said instrument, but sending the output to the same channel as the main, which I use only for control parameters (whether it be keyswitches or midi controllers) and not actual notes. Usually set up with a built in transposition of -24 or whatever I need to get the notes out of the instrument range into the keyswitching range (varies depending on the instrument and where they put the keyswitches) without having too many ledger lines drive me crazy. Whenever I need to trigger a keyswitch, I just throw the appropriate keyswitch note in the secondary staff. The timing has the potential to end up funky at times since the keyswitch note needs to be played before the next sounded note is reached, though this depends on the composition and when you need to keyswitch.

And when I'm done with that part and don't want to see it anymore, or when I need to print the score, I just hide the secondary staff (which I also use for other stuff as well, jotting down comments, etc.).

The downside of doing it this way is you have to keep track of two staves in parallel... if you start inserting measures, you have to make sure you adjust the timing in the second one as well. Also if you want actual notation to accompany said keyswitches (eg. pizz, arco) for a printed score, this won't provide them either.
    -- Matt Wong

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    Meg,

I have not had a chance to try the directions I posted for you. I agree with Randy that this is a very convoluted way to do keyswitch changes. I also do most of my music with DAW software and once in a while I use Finale.

Have you posted on the MakeMusic Finale forum regarding this or called them?

Jim
    Jim, Thanks for your note. I am working with MakeMusic, but there are some technical problems with Garritan Harps which we are working through. The keyswitching is very difficult and awkward. I will keep you posted! Meg

Go Back to forum