• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Were to buy Film scores??

Share/Bookmark

Were to buy Film scores??

I am trying to find Film scores to study,
    does any one know were you can buy scores.
    Is there any books that have exerts of scores?

Thanks for your help!!

Dave

Re: Were to buy Film scores??

I want to know that too!!! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

www.sheetmusicplus.com

They have some reasonably priced scores for movies like, Schindlers List, Gladiator, etc. I bought Adagio For Strings for around $10.00.

All the best,

Darren

The only composer who really to my knowledge has a lot of really faithful scores made for studying is John Williams. Peter Alexander sells them at www.alexanderuniversity.com - the website has been down for days now though. Maybe PA knows why

Dave

Very few film scores become available to study. You might try \"filmmusicrundowns\" a web site that has a very detailed description of some key scores. Also in the book dept. \"knowing the score\" is the best book on the subject. At the moment out of print and hideuosly expensive but soon to be re-issued.

Ed

Try http://www.truespec.com which is Peter Alexander\'s also.

Thanks for the help!!
    I will chec those sites out!
    thanks
    Dave

The \"filmmusicrundowns\" website is http://www.filmmusic.cjb.net/ and is *very* cool!

Thanks Ed!

btw, I have a copy of Knowing The Score if anyone would like to borrow it!

I had a thought

Part of the problem I had when studying film scores was what I felt I needed to learn. For instance: if I just liked the music, and wanted to learn how to write music like it, that was one thing, but if I wanted to learn why that music worked where it did, that was quite another.

If you think about it, film music is really deciding on three things: 1. What to write. 2. Where to start it 3. Where to end it. To be a good film composer you need to have these three things down. No film scores are gonna help you with this. Modern films aren\'t much help either as film music now is used more like lighting. pretty much throughout. If the scene does\'nt work properly they will bring up the music to add more emotion or drama. Imagine the scene in 2001 eher Dave goes out to rescue Frank. Now it would be covered with big music whereas then...nothing except Daves breathing and the ping on his computer screen. Or another great cue: Bond is strapped to a table in Goldfingers hideout and there is a Laser beam burning it\'s way up the table. John Barry (A giant of the art if you ask me) Starts the cue with a minor sus2 chord and slowly builds over five minutes with the most minimal orchestration. James is about the have his wedding tackle fried and we get this repeating riff building and building until you too start to cover your crotch. That\'s film music.

ed

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    The only composer who really to my knowledge has a lot of really faithful scores made for studying is John Williams. Peter Alexander sells them at www.alexanderuniversity.com - the website has been down for days now though. Maybe PA knows why
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">My apologies. We\'re revising the Alexander site to go with the release of our new Living Music Book series starting with our revised Writing for Strings and Samplitude classes. All the Williams\' scores are at the Truespec site:

http://www.truespec.com/store/books/johnwilliams/index.shtml

Thank you for asking.

Go Back to forum