• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Composers, do you use SMPTE or digitize?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Composers, do you use SMPTE or digitize?

Hi, sorry to be a little bit off track, but as a new composer I had a couple of questions... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Question 1) Do you guys (and girls!) out there think it necessary to run a SMPTE set-up to lock picture to sound these days or can we composers use more modern methods? i.e. Capturing the video content onto the hard drive, playing it back in Quicktime (or something similiar), and composing to the digital footage. (Cubase SX lets you import picture right into the project for example)

Question 2) If the above option of digitizing is viable, how do we advise the editor of the start and end times of the cues?

Thanks, Scott.

P.S. Hi from Australia. You guys are all probably sleeping now. By the time you reply I will be sleeping. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: OT: Composers, do you use SMPTE or digitize?

Hello,

I prefer digitized with a SMPTE window burn. No shuttle of tape & locked instantly.

PS

Better not let \"Lewis\" see this thread... [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. Sorry to sound dumb but could you explain that further?

Are you saying that you \"burn\" a SMPTE time-code onto the digitized footage? Is there special software for this?

Thanks again, Scott.

Analog tape syncing sucks if you ask me! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Digitize everything, into computer or onto some digital external video player. And window burn is the solution for communication with the rest, indeed...

Maarten

Hey Scott,

Usually the video comes from the film makers with SMPTE burned onto a window that is seen during playback. Then the video is \"captured\" to whichever format you want...avi, quicktime etc. When you playback the file on your DAW the SMPTE window is always there giving you precise numbering for your cues.

Chris

Thanks Chris. That\'s excellent!

I am looking at chaining together a few DAW\'s with Steinberg\'s System Link. I will probably devote one machine to the playback of the video footage, full screen.

Scott.

I use an old Miro DC30 PCI card to digitize/playback the video flow, those can be found second-hand for a hundred bucks. Since Miro was acquired by Pinnacle there is no developpement for new drivers (Pinnacle? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) so it runs only under w98/se/me (Miro DC30/30+)or Mac os 8/9 (MiroMotion DC30/30+), but it is a cheap AV option that works fine...
    You just have to digitize in the card\'s video native format (Jpeg2/MiroJpeg) and it takes charge of the playback (fullscreen of course, it has TV-out), leaving the host CPU free for audio/MIDI tasks.

Also, a French company created Starsync, a little box that does a fantastic job. http://www.starsync.fr/engppun.html
    If you have an old PIII or any spare comp, consider it...

If you do go for a Miro/Pinnacle capture card, go for a DC30/30+ or higher and NOT for a DC10/10+. I tried the DC10+ on several systems and several OS\'s and it never worked like it should. Lots of errors, drops, etc.

The DC30 is supposed to be good, though.

Maarten

For what it\'s worth, I use a DC10+ with no probs, but it took a while for Pinnalce to get the drivers right. Great picture quality (same as DC-30), but you use your own sound card...DC-30 has its own onboard sound. I\'ll never go back to SMPTE sync again!
    -Hudson

Originally posted by Maarten Spruijt:
    If you do go for a Miro/Pinnacle capture card, go for a DC30/30+ or higher and NOT for a DC10/10+. I tried the DC10+ on several systems and several OS\'s and it never worked like it should. Lots of errors, drops, etc.

The DC30 is supposed to be good, though.

Maarten
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Digitize!!!!

I haven\'t locked to analog in three years, and good riddance. The few minutes it takes to digitize a tape is nothing compared to the ease with which you can work.

Go Back to forum