• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A bunch of questions

Share/Bookmark

A bunch of questions

I\'m not sure where to post this one...there doesn\'t seem to be a general giga discussion forum. Anyhow...

Hello all. I\'m new to the forum. I don\'t yet own giga anything but am seriously consideringing getting into it. I have been a professional/amateur composer for close to ten years now. I primarily have just used .sf2 sounds for soundblasters to do my midi work, but they just don\'t quite live up.

So, *deep breath*, here goes:

1. I\'m looking into just getting gigastudio 32. I don\'t need a whole bunch of sounds at this point, and figure I can upgrade later if I really need to. Any advice against this?

2. I had some guy at a Guitar Center store tell me that you have to have 2 computers to run gigastudio -- one for the program and one to stream sounds from. I have a hard time believing this. With todays computers...I don\'t know. That just sounds silly to me.

I have a Pentium 4, 2.26 ghz with a 60gig hd and 128m of ram. (With a SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum soundcard.) Will my system suffice? Will I have sound glitches or other problems?

3. Are there any good brass samples out there? And I mean good...not just good compared to other midi brass. Why is it that every demo I\'ve heard from giga sounds great until the brass comes in? Then it sounds like a computer trying to fake it!!! Aarrgghh. I would die for a good orchestral trumpet sound!!

Hmmm, I guess that\'s it question wise for now. I\'m sure I\'ll have more.

Any help you can give me would be very appreciated. Thanks so much.

Re: A bunch of questions

Loads of people (including me) are happy with the SAM horns. You should check it out. It should put an end to your bad experience with midi brass (at least horns) - and the good news is that Maarten is working on SAM trombones and the SAM trumpets are for free!

Check out his page at http://www.projectsam.com

Thomas

Welcome aboard Folk Prophet. Yes, you\'re in the right place with your question about good brass.
    You\'ll find plenty of knowledgeable experts here
    (you just heard from one of the best- Thomas_J).

I\'m just weighing in to tell you that you certainly do NOT need a seperate computer to use
    G/S to make simple music. Some of the pros here doing complete orchestrations use two or more computers, but for most of us one is fine.

Good Luck,
    Carl

1. I\'m looking into just getting gigastudio 32. I don\'t need a whole bunch of sounds at this point, and figure I can upgrade later if I really need to. Any advice against this?

no

2. I had some guy at a Guitar Center store tell me that you have to have 2 computers to run gigastudio -- one for the program and one to stream sounds from. I have a hard time believing this. With todays computers...I don\'t know. That just sounds silly to me.

yes and no
    for example Hanz Zimmer works with 8 gigastudio pcs but he works with zilion midi channels
    do you need so many channels?as you said above in your question 1 i don\'t think so.
    i work only with 1 pc amd xp1.9 and for me is enough. works pretty good.
    in my opiniom you need ram memory try to use 512mb.
    sound blaster works great too but only in win98
    there\'s no gsif drivers in sound blaster.
    some guys says works in win 2000 and ME
    but all my atempts in another windows was failed.only in win 98 works ok.

3. Are there any good brass samples out there? And I mean good...not just good compared to other midi brass. Why is it that every demo I\'ve heard from giga sounds great until the brass comes in? Then it sounds like a computer trying to fake it!!! Aarrgghh. I would die for a good orchestral trumpet sound!!

MAN!!!!
    if you need brass orchestral check the Dan dean stuff.
    i don\'t have it but some guys here use and sounds terrific
    i bought Sam horns and i have no words to say than thanks to Maarten for produced that cause sounds amazing and the price is really good.
    check the Sam bones they\'ll coming [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    http://www.projectsam.com/
    and the good new is the Sam trumpet for free [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

but for pop music i do not recomend any library
    pay some real musicians [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    see ya

we wrote at same time Thomas and Carlmsmith
    [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    well carl is right check the Thomas music!!!!
    Thomas uses some custom samples made by himself that still sounds amazing for me.
    i love his music.
    see ya

You definitely dont need two computers, when i started using GS160 i had a Gateway Pentium II @ 450 mhz, and a 5200 rpm 6.4 gigabytes hard drive, i used cakewalpk PA9 along with giga, and never had any problems, i was able to use up to 100 voices, in about 20 midi channels...now with an athlon 1.4 and three hard drives, i get the 160 voices without problems, in about 40 midi channels

Daniel

At the end of last year and through the beginning of this year there\'s been a slew of libraries to help us with orcehstral brass. Especially in terms of ensembles

Dan Dean Brass Ensembles
    Sam Horns
    Kirk Hunter Brass
    Vienna Symphonic Library

Coming soon is

Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra
    SAM Bones

About one machine.... I should hang out at guitar center one day and writee down all the crap that comes out of those sales peoples mouths. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

With the machien you have, you should have no problem getting good performance out of Giga 32. Except for one fact. On Newer Operating systems, giga doesn\'t work with SoundBlaster cards.

You\'ll need to look into picking up a GSIF compatable card.

Another note. You may be used to sound fonts, but in Giga land there are alot of new features that are being taken advantage of. However these features can sometimes eat up polyphony count. 32 voices will not be enough for realistic orchestral mock ups. One can now eat that up with single note melody lines for ONE instrument.

Even Giga 160 doesn\'t have enough polyphony to do mockups for some of us.

King (and he IS the King, and no idiot when it comes to Giga and sample development/usage) is right about GS 32. Polyphony is a serioous issue with the way GS samples can be constructed. I would recommend GS 96, it gives you enough so you can record one section at a time to hard disk (or sync an external recorder,) and continue working with no problems, and do this on one machine (up to a reasonable limit...) There are only two realistic complaints against Giga at the moment-the current version is only 16-bit, and several other apps are 24, and Tascam is VERY close-mouthed about the development cycle (when will 3.0 release, what\'s in it, etc.)

But Giga is definitely the mosy useful and natural sounding of the current batch of samplers and soft samplers, IMHO. And most of the members here will agree (there ARE some that like to complain a lot, but we try to be polite and humor them! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

The main thing GS has the others do not is THIS FORUM, with some of the best tech support available.

Dasher

\"2. I had some guy at a Guitar Center store tell me that you have to have 2 computers to run gigastudio -- one for the program and one to stream sounds from. I have a hard time believing this. With todays computers...I don\'t know. That just sounds silly to me.\"

Perhaps he said \"2 hard drives\". This DOES make sense. You have 1 hard drive to run the progam from, actually all of your computer\'s programs. And the OTHER hard drive just to put your samples on. This way you would get better streaming performance and also your sample drive would not be fragmented like the other hard drives get from constant reading and writing. Most users here have dedicated hard drives just to hold their samples. I\'m surprised the other guys missed this point. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Also, get at least 512mb, it\'s cheap and will give you better performance all around.

Perhaps he said \"2 hard drives\".
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You\'re forgetting.... he said \"Guitar Center\". The dude at G.C. probably told him that he needed pro-tools to run it too! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

But wait, are you serious... giga is only 16 bit? What\'s up with that? I though for sure it was 24, aren\'t the libraries on DVD 24 bit?

I haven\'t got my set up yet so I don\'t know these things (I just *** -u-me) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum