• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Curious about how many people buy "cheap" samples

Share/Bookmark

Curious about how many people buy "cheap" samples

how many people out here buy those $10-$30 sets of samples? or bbuy those \"Seperate instrument\" options.

I\'ve seen alot of clamouring for it in the orchestral instruments stuff, but am jsut curious about other groups like ethnic percussion and the like.

Re: Curious about how many people buy "cheap" samples

I bought the ProSamples Percussive Loops CD which is a cut-down of Percussive Adventures. I paid 27.99 pounds, and am VERY impressed by it.

Heath

Hey King, that was post #3333 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Not Dudley Simpson:
    I bought the ProSamples Percussive Loops CD which is a cut-down of Percussive Adventures. I paid 27.99 pounds, and am VERY impressed by it.

Heath
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yea I was was amazed by how much content it had!! I have to get the Ethnic Adventures as well :-)

Ed

andyt

Hi King,

About two years ago I found myself with a couple of hundred quid to spare, after setting up my perfect studio (Roland VG8, Roland SPD-20, .. basic rock stuff and an integrated Roland VS1860). So I found myself browsing through SoundOnSound wondering what I could do with the the few hundred quid that was burning a hole in my pocket.

Hmmm ... I know ... why don\'t I get some nice brass sounds. So whats available ? Oh dear, if I\'d only knew what I was letting myself in for.

This lead to a small investment in GigaStudio 32 and the ProSamples version of QL Brass .... and I promised myself \"soooo hard\" that it was only going to be a small investment, and I wouldn\'t go over budget. Honest Injun. After all ust some simple brass sounds and my studio would be COMPLETE. FINISHED.

Well two years later ... (and some of you might relate to this)

- QL Brass (Pro Samples) was never used beyong the first five minutes, but was quickly followed by ...
    - GOS Lite (quickly updated to GOS Full a few weeks later)
    - Dan Dean Solo Winds
    - Dan Dean Brass Ensemble
    - Project SAM Horns
    - Project SAM Trumpets
    - Symphony of Voices
    - Studio Grand 88
    - Adler\'s Book on Orhcestration and Accompanying CD
    - and awaiting Horizon Solo Strings
    - ... and possibly GPO
    - ... and anything else that promises me happiness

My point is ... I\'m an addict. I need help.
    And all because of that tiny little ProSamples QL Brass library. \"Go on try it. You know you want to. It\'ll sound sooooo good.\"

To anyone hasn\'t started on this orchestral sample thing yet. Don\'t. Just say no.

Hi King,

I generally do not buy them. Most of the demos that I\'ve listened to of samples in that price range don\'t make me feel like I want to spend the cash on them. I used to earlier on but found that I was usually getting a lower quality product and would have to work harder to get a good sound. I come from the school of \"spend more - buy once\".

Having said that, I have bought the odd library in the $30 price range. This is typically when I find it at a bargain basement price (for clearance since it is old or perhaps not selling well) for a library that I\'ve wanted for a while but just didn\'t feel like spending the $150-300 for it at regular price.

For higher-priced libraries I tend to keep an eye out for the sales. I recently bought VOTA when Soundsonline had a 30% off sale. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I may buy a piece of a larger set (if it is available like Kirk Hunter did with the solo strings) but only if I really only need that one piece and the others won\'t be useful to me.

I think that you may get a wide variety of answers here since pros who can justify the higher prices and absolutely require high-quality will be able to afford the premium libraries. Then there are struggling composers who really have to justiify every purchase and are always looking out for cheap samples if they can get their hands on them. The difficult part of that is that these \"lower-end\" users (no offense intended) are demanding higher-quality and some portions of the sampleware market are getting to be very competitive (as we\'ve seen with EWQLSO Silver and GPO). While I am happy to see lower prices for some of these sets, I am concerned long-term that there will be less incentive for sample manufacturers since it costs so much to develop a library that the profits may not justify the expense.

OK, I\'ve blabbed enough now. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

FV

The most I\'ve spent for a sample cd was 10 bucks off e-bay. It was full of wavs, and I had to make my own soundfonts from them (took longer than I care to say), but it was worth it. Everything else I use are just free soundfonts and gigs I find on the net.

Hey King,

yeah, I´ve bought a few \"low cost\" samples for my Z8 and I´ve to say I´m hardly impressed. That´s why I avoid them now.
    If you had asked for Libs around 100,- $ I´d say here you can find some goodies, thinking about the Westgate stuff or KH Flutes.

Holger

King,

I would recomend some of the pro sample series.
    They make great \"Fillers\" if you want something to toy with whilst finding good samples for your work.

Ive used quite a few of the pads in giga. They are really well recorded and so can be tweaked rather well.

I would say that for the price, you cant realy go wrong.

I\'ve bought some, and I\'m happy with most of them. But overall, I have to say that if I\'m going to buy something in that price range I definitely prefer one complete, single instrument over a bunch of incomplete stuff (like the prosamples... not that they\'re bad, it\'s just a personal preference).

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast