• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do I find the correct balance between velocity and expression?

Share/Bookmark

How do I find the correct balance between velocity and expression?

I always have problems in finding a good balance between velocity and expression when the patch is using both. I like to use velocity for the natural volume control because it gives me the correct timbre changes and I use expression (cc11) for volume change on a single note, but what setting do I give expression when I have fast notes only that I already control with velocity? Do I set it to 127 or do I give it the same value as the velocity that is happening at that given moment? I cannot turn it off because the patch is reacting on both velocity and expression values, so giving it 0 turns of the volume completely. Any suggestions?

André
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

Re: How do I find the correct balance between velocity and expression?

This seems like one of those problems that you just have to solve yourself. The only guide here can be your own ears and judgment. Isn't that liberating?

Re: How do I find the correct balance between velocity and expression?

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    This seems like one of those problems that you just have to solve yourself. The only guide here can be your own ears and judgment. Isn't that liberating?
    Well, I always like to think that there must be some kind of rule that can be followed, and I found one that seems to work. I am setting expression as a general level around 100 and use velocity for the volume changes of the notes, and only use expression for creating crescendi and decrescendi for long notes (from 100 up till 127 and back again). The velocity timbre seems to change when changing the expression amount. I keep volume (CC7) at the loudest level for a single track while playing the loudest note and keeping the output around -3 DB.
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

Go Back to forum