• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to perform a glissando with woodwinds/saxes/brass?

Share/Bookmark

How to perform a glissando with woodwinds/saxes/brass?

Hello everyone,

It's me once again.

I wish to know how it is possible to perform a realistic fast glissando with woodwinds, saxes and brass for a Klezmer/Yiddish style piece?

Which parameters in COMB2/JABB3/GPO4 should I use to perform this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Re: How to perform a glissando with woodwinds/saxes/brass?

Hi, Fred

I think you know that some of the things you're wanting to do with this project, like glissandi with woodwinds, are things pretty easily accomplished in DAW software. We perform what's needed, or enter it with a mouse, and then edit as needed in our Piano Roll Views.

But you're working in notation which could be described as a more "stiff" way of working, since deep MIDI editing isn't as accessible or in some cases, even possible, and you're stuck with needing notes quantized to absolute values.

Which means, in short, that I wouldn't know specifically the best way to do what you want in notation. I would only know that you need to start with notes of short values, 32nds or even 64ths, and you would want to make sure Auto Legato is engaged in ARIA so the instruments are playing monophonically. The rest would be a matter of experimenting - But glissandi are commonly needed in music, so there must be some standard way of approaching them in Finale/Sibelius et al that I'm not even aware of.

Randy

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your answer.

I'm working with Logic directly in the piano roll or events editor and draw CC curves in the hyper editors with the mouse.

I'll have to experiment glissandi then.

Thanks again for your help!

Best,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by boulifb View Post
    Hi Randy,

Thanks for your answer.

I'm working with Logic directly in the piano roll or events editor and draw CC curves in the hyper editors with the mouse.

I'll have to experiment glissandi then.

Thanks again for your help!

Best,

Fred.
    Oh, I see! Thanks for that information - Right before seeing this new post, I sent you a PM, Fred - When you read it, realize that I hadn't seen this yet about you working in Logic.

Well good, since you're working with DAW software, the kind of thing you're asking about is very doable. Just be sure to turn snap-to-grid OFF so you're not stuck with quantized notes.

Randy

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your answer again.

I have answered in your private mail.

Best,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Go Back to forum