• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: a trailer score of mine - comments needed :)

Share/Bookmark

a trailer score of mine - comments needed :)

hello together,

i made a score for a short movie trailer and i just wanna gather some critics or comments to improve my work. would be cool to get some response [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

thx in advance!

www.gitarrenlicks.de/mp3/waywyn_trailertest.mp3

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: a trailer score of mine - comments needed :)

I\'m assuming there\'s a massive body count in this film!! I dressed up my dogs as evil Riverdancers, and killed them in a frenzy of admiration!!

Seriously, it sounds very huge here, and you left a lot of midrange space for dialog, which will be mucho appreciated, I\'m sure. The one thing I heard that I thought might be workable to better effect is the French Horn statement around the mid-50 second range. I think they\'re in the right mix place, but I\'d shorten the notes just slightly to get a more marcato interpretation of the line and try to get more attack. They don\'t have quite the vigor of the rest of the ensemble...

The little tag scared the crap out of me!!

Thanks for including your name on the MP3 filename, wish more posters would do that ...

Disclaimer: hobbyist listening on home stereo

As usual, there were some good points and some bad points:

Good: opening atmosphere, low brass attacks at 0.27+ (really very good), brass injections everywhere, percussion section SOUNDS were great.

Bad: The strings are not powerful enough and the style of the acoustic strings does not match the synth sounds at the beginning. Overall, I wanted to hear more of a crescendo. Maybe only a little compression is needed. Also, the percussion line was a little muddled at about 0.17-0.23. I liked the percussion sounds but not the line (minor tweaking needed only).

To Do: The strings are too weak. If you\'re stuck and cannot replace (or double) them, then try: add a string bass line at the beginning (maybe just a few notes). And everywhere else, add some double basses to fatten up the low end of the strings. Maybe the strings need some help from the woodwinds? I do not know how to do it.

Conclusion: Almost there, just needs a little tweaking.

YBaCuO

Bruce,

>>I\'m assuming there\'s a massive body count in this film!! I dressed up my dogs as evil Riverdancers, and killed them in a frenzy of admiration!!<<

May I have permission to tell this to Jerry Seinfeld thursday night at his sister\'s
    Thanksgiving get together..

I really fell off my bench..

Alan Russell

I only got 0:36 (seconds) in my MS Windows Media PLayer??

wow thx, thats some cool help [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

like always i post not really finished mixes, so i can leave it open to work on stuff which needs improvement. (lol, but all the time it seems like the big excuse...\"oh, no its not finished...i would never call this track finished\")

>>I\'m assuming there\'s a massive body count in this film!! I dressed up my dogs as evil Riverdancers, and killed them in a frenzy of admiration!!<< loool, but cool that you hear its a more actionlike movie. yes this music is a trailer for a martial arts movie [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] so i guess there is some bodycount, but more beat em up action [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

okay i will work and improve on this one, but thx again for your comments...

ohh, YBaCuO: it should be around 1:37, maybe your download broke, dunno...

Hey Way,
    quite nice. I did like our alaskan friends thoughts on adding a nice thick c-bass tho.

good work

cb

The brass lines are awesome! I also like the the choral parts - nice reverb. How did you do that?

Okay, I\'ve heard all 1:37.

Nice chorus, nice percussion-only part, great ending [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] .

I agree with Bruce, the french horn at 0:50 was a little strange.

Still feel some contrabass would help.

Ya, overall good reverb and mix - ya gonna share any secrets?

YBaCuO

Overall I really liked it.

Only thing IMO it needs is some rumble or some type of sound. To link the last bar or 2 to the rest of the piece. Something quiet. Something subtle. Just something! That\'s only my views though. Plus I dont know what you see on the screen. A small rumble would tell you the action/music is not done just yet. Then bam! Hit it! IMO.

What libs are used? I would take an educated guess and say \"all the main ones\" you know what i mean [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .

Go Back to forum