• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pure Space Reverb Impulses by Numerical Sound?

Share/Bookmark

Pure Space Reverb Impulses by Numerical Sound?

Hi,

Anyone used this?

It looks impressive, and I think I\'m going to get it, but before I do it would be great if I can hear someone with hands on expirience?

thanks,

Alex

Re: Pure Space Reverb Impulses by Numerical Sound?

Expensive but very worthwhile, I think. I\'m using the 24 bit version with Acoustic Mirror and only use it \"offline\", i.e. not when working in midi-mode.

I typically create some 5 submixes (woods, brass dry, brass wet, perc and string) and then copy these mixes as start for 5 100% wet ambience tracks (this is kind of batch processing now). I first make the \"send\" very narrow with Waves S1, otherwise you will get a weird spread of ambience peaks. For some reason I still not understand, convolution reverb has no early-reflection modeling. If you input a hard panned signal, the result is still hard panned, which is not realistic. You want the tails to project into a common space, so that\'s why you will need nearly mono sends. I mix the dry submixes and their corresponding ambience tracks in Logic or SX and apply some EQ on the ambience tracks to remove resonances and the low frequencies. I also apply some sample delay to have predelays on the front instruments.

This short cue uses this approach with a Pure Sound impulse applied to submixes:
    Chase from the Bridge

Regards [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.
    Thats the way I work most of the time as well.
    I like the mix in mp3 you posted.

What do you think, what resolution of RI should I get? I mostly work with 44.1, 16bit mixes.

I was planing to get 48,16bit...?

ALex

Originally posted by lex:
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.
    Thats the way I work most of the time as well.
    I like the mix in mp3 you posted.

What do you think, what resolution of RI should I get? I mostly work with 44.1, 16bit mixes.

I was planing to get 48,16bit...?

ALex
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ernest advised me to really work with the 24 bit versions. When you work with intermediate files (submixes) it is best to work with high resolution files (I use 32 bit FP for this, which is not supported by Logic 5.5, but it is by SX2). Only revert to 16 bit in the very last step, after setting the final loudness level (for instanchee with L1 or L2).
    Also, the program in which you will apply the IR\'s will really take advantage of higher resolutions. I use SoundForge 6 with Ac. Mirror, which uses a 32 bit FP input/output path for the plugins (although it strangely always says \"24 bit processing....\").

I cannot comment on your 48 K sampling rate remark. I assume you are targeting for AV/video work? Most of your samples are in 44.1 K so up until the submix stage you are working with this rate. I would get the 44.1/24 version of Ernest\'s impulses.

Just send Ernest an email about this?

BTW: I forgot that I also use 4-5 instances of Soundstage on my adat input channels to get more E/R\'s. So my demos are actually no good examples of Ernest\'s impulses [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] sorry...
    Still, the verb tail is entirely from the impulse. Maybe I can post a submix that exposes the ambience better.

I really like the harmonies and moods at the beginning of your piece Peter..the impulses sound amazing! Rich

Just FYI, here are some submixes from Chase from the Bridge:
    Woodwinds dry - Woodwinds with ambience
    Percussion dry - Percussion with ambience
    Strings dry - Strings with ambience

Harp and celesta are not on the percussion track but on the woodwinds and strings tracks.
    The woodwinds dry already have SoundStage E/R\'s.

Chase from the Bridge (full mix)

This cue was actually my first attempt at underscoring (see my website for the clip).

Thanks a bunch Peter!

This will help me decide. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Are these from film stage or classical?

Alex

Classical [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

hey Peter,
    Those are some great examples. Verb to be sure, but some very nice composition in there as well.
    Look forward to hearing the whole thing. sounds great.

cb

I imagine that with all this GigaPulse hullabulloo, everyone is going to be talking about impulse responses alot more.

Here\'s a link to Numerical Sound in case anyone\'s interested: Numerical Sound

Go Back to forum