• Register
  • Help

Topic: Portamelo Problems in FLStudio

Share/Bookmark

Portamelo Problems in FLStudio

I've having some trouble trying to get the Portamelo to work on FL Studio. I dunno why or how but I've tried using the porta slide in the Piano Roll and the switches in the ARIA Player itself. Is there any other way around it?

Re: Portamelo Problems in FLStudio

Quote Originally Posted by Kurayami311 View Post
    I've having some trouble trying to get the Portamelo to work on FL Studio. I dunno why or how but I've tried using the porta slide in the Piano Roll and the switches in the ARIA Player itself. Is there any other way around it?
    We're talking about Portamento, and I've always found it a bit tricky to use, Kurayami. Here's from the GPO manual:

"Portamento Control:This control lets you slide from one note to another. It is particularly
    helpful with some instruments, such as the trombone and the strings. There is a knob that adjusts
    the portamento for instruments that use this function. Additionally, MIDI controller CC#20 can be
    assigned to an external MIDI fader or drawn as graphic data in your sequencer of choice. Portamento
    is off by default. In general, slides between smaller intervals require greater values than slides between
    larger intervals. It is best to draw the data manually (for any specific notes that require slides) in your
    sequencer or to assign this feature to a separate hardware controller (CC#20) for real-time control."

BUT, in another section of the manual, an all-important detail is added. These two sections really should be combined in the manual, because this crucial bit of info is too obscure and hidden:

"This controller is used to create portamento during legato passages based on note intervals and
    CC value. The closer the notes the higher the portamento value used. Inversely, the larger the
    interval between notes, the lower the portamento value used. Notes further than an octave
    apart typically do not use portamento. This controller can be used only in conjunction with
    legato playing when the sustain pedal controller is active."

So - I'm rather sure that's the missing ingredient in your experiments. You must have CC64 engaged as well as CC20 for the Portamento.

Randy

Re: Portamelo Problems in FLStudio

The porta slide control in the FL Studio piano roll is a special, non-midi signal. Most native FL Studio pluglins like Sytrus, Orgun, etc. respond to the porta slide control but 3rd party standard VST-Midi plugins will not.

So, for Aria you would assign the CC-20 and CC-64 to rotary knobs in the Midi-Out plugin as you may already be doing for the CC-1 Mod wheel control. This is done by right clicking on an unsassigned knob and clicking "configure" and setting up a CC Number, long name, and short name. You then may have to right click the knob and select "edit Event" to draw an initial setting in the event editor Then you should be able to go to the piano roll, click "velocity" in the event list and switch it to either CC-20 and CC-64 so you can draw in the data in the event editor.

There might be some clever way to take the FL studio specific porta slide events and convert the data into equivalent CC-20 and CC-64 events but I don't know the pathway to capture the porta slide event data

Go Back to forum