• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Audio Units and VSTs?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Audio Units and VSTs?

Hey Guys,
    I\'ve been checking the different fourms because I can\'t get to NAMM. Thanks for the reports folks! But I need help understanding what Audio Units are? I know it\'s new technology for the MAC side but why have I seen posts stating that VST won\'t work in them?

Sincerely,

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: OT: Audio Units and VSTs?

Originally posted by JohnnyP:
    Hey Guys,
    I\'ve been checking the different fourms because I can\'t get to NAMM. Thanks for the reports folks! But I need help understanding what Audio Units are? I know it\'s new technology for the MAC side but why have I seen posts stating that VST won\'t work in them?

Sincerely,
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It\'s just another plugin standard, but since it\'s Apple\'s standard they can (and have) exercised their prerogative to break everything else that already exists. VST, etc., will still be able to work, but will have to be recoded for the new standard and OS.

It\'s not all that different than what has been going on with Windows, just that Windows has not (yet) broken all the existing stuff. It will happen soon enough.

Strip away all the lies and press releases, and the actual reason for AU, and for the Windows 64-bit low-latency interface is centered around one thing--Digital Rights Management. The entertainment industry is outright threatening lawsuit unless both Apple and Microsoft effectively close up access to the digital audio stream. AU (and the Windows approach to same) is simply a method to break companies\' access to digital audio data, and to expose any access that\'s granted to DRM.

That\'s it. That\'s the entire story. It\'s stupid, it sucks, it\'s naive, and it\'s completely defeatable outside the box (for instance, through your audio interface\'s digital outs). But it\'s a way for Apple and Microsoft to say, \"We\'ve done what we can, don\'t sue us.\"

If anyone tells you one thing different, they are telling you a pretty lie. There might be some technological advances built in for us here and there, but the overriding reason for these technologies is DRM--not to serve us in any way.

Bruce,
    Thanks for the response. So when NI says they\'re going to release an AU of Battery they mean: Still a plug in but with a different format?

Sincerely

Bruce,

My understanding of the advantages of AudioUnits vs VST is that the AU format sits at the level of the Operating System. That means that an AudioUnit plug-in will work in the same way in any sequencer/host software.

VST is Steinberg\'s technology, and it works really well in Cubase and Nuendo, but seems a big buggy or incomplete in other (ie: competitors) software - surprise, surprise.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Ned Bouhalassa:
    Bruce,

My understanding of the advantages of AudioUnits vs VST is that the AU format sits at the level of the Operating System. That means that an AudioUnit plug-in will work in the same way in any sequencer/host software.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Right. But that\'s not the REASON it was done. Anything you see happening on the OS level in terms of low-latency interfaces is not about us--it\'s about DRM and not getting sued into the next galaxy by the entertainment industry.

Bruce, I\'m sure you have information to confirm your opinion of the introduction of Audio Units - but it does suprise me that this is the first time/place I\'m hearing about DRM (Digital Rights Managment)being the primary reason. It\'s not as though there is a lack of critical observers and independent voices in the industry and the music technology press! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Any improvement and integration of the tools we use (and as a Mac/Logic user I mean those right now) is to be welcomed, isn\'t it?

I\'m not wholly sympathetic to the Music industry\'s squealing on this issue - the issue of piracy is not the only factor, but: as a producer of copyright material myself - I assume you are one too - I think we have to recognise the need for some limits in and control the transfer of material. Whether this occurs through Audio Units or some other method, it is a problem in search of a solution.

Nigel

Go Back to forum