• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to combine two similar instruments for one sound in Aria

Share/Bookmark

How to combine two similar instruments for one sound in Aria

Using Gigaplayer, I can stack two instruments in one track, and while all editing is not available once you stack them, some basic adjustments, including volume, can be made.
    As an example, I can load a violin section and a violin solo to one track, and adjust the volume of the solo violins down, not to overwhelm the violin section.
    Trying to do this with Aria, I can set the two instrument to the same MIDI channel, setting the output for both at 3/4, set Sonar's track to the same MIDI channel and have both sound play fine on one track. But, of course, the volume of both will be the same and I see no way to adjust the two volumes differently.
    What is the solution? Have two separate tracks? Have the data on these two tracks the same? Would that be a lot of space and effort wasted?
    You have mentioned somewhere before, that combining section sounds with solo is a good practice. How you do this?

Ted

Re: How to combine two similar instruments for one sound in Aria

You wouldn't do it specifically in Aria, you instead load another instrument - for example, a solo violin into a new slot, and create a new track for it.

You put the same MIDI data from your violin section 1 into your new track.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    ...with Aria, I can set the two instrument to the same MIDI channel, setting the output for both at 3/4, set Sonar's track to the same MIDI channel and have both sound play fine on one track. But, of course, the volume of both will be the same and I see no way to adjust the two volumes differently.
    What is the solution? Have two separate tracks? Have the data on these two tracks the same? Would that be a lot of space and effort wasted?
    You have mentioned somewhere before, that combining section sounds with solo is a good practice. How you do this?

Ted
    Howdy, Ted

There are basically two ways to do what you're talking about.

1) The simplest way is to have both instruments on the same MIDI Channel, just as you said you're doing. BUT, you should have them each coming out of a different Audio Channel in ARIA. Then, you can adjust the volume sliders of those two Audio tracks to get a different balance.

Here's a screen shot of just part of a project. You can see in the upper half are MIDI tracks. In the lower half are labeled Audio tracks connected to ARIA.

EDIT: Here's the direct link to that screenshot if you want to see a larger version of it:

MIDI and Audio tracks in SONAR

When ARIA was first inserted, I asked for all audio tracks to be automatically inserted. From there, as I add instruments, I click the audio track selector for each instrument in ARIA and assign them to any of the 16 available audio outs. You said you have both a solo violin and a violin section on 3/4. Change that so one is on any of the other outs, 1/2 through 31/32, and then change the levels of those audio tracks in Sonar until you like the balance. See?

2) The other way to do what you want is to add another MIDI track in Sonar, copy and paste the data from the first track. Put that new track and the matching instrument in ARIA on a different MIDI channel. This is the more involved way to layer, but it gives you more options. The two violins can have different MIDI volume data so they're not precisely the same, and the notes can be moved around so they're not all starting at exactly the same time.

When I've mentioned combining sections with solos, I most often make a new MIDI track, as in 2) above, but other times I do the simpler way 1).

It's not a waste of space to have two MIDI tracks. Remember that with Sonar's Track manager, you can hide any tracks you want. When I get to the point of mixing a project, I use the TM to hide all the Muted and Archived MIDI tracks so I only have my bounced audio tracks visible in the work space.

That's all there is toot!

Randy

Thanks a lot Randy, great help.
    Thanks Plowking, kind of you to answer...

Ted

Go Back to forum