• Register
  • Help

Topic: Beyond the Stars - (that adventure theme now finished)

Share/Bookmark

Beyond the Stars - (that adventure theme now finished)

Now it's final - this is the adventure theme I've been working on.

Wanted to thank all for the comments and suggestions. They were a great help and pushed me to improve the piece again and again. The intro is now different, I've adjusted the keychange elements, improved the ending and overall orchestration in various places.

I also exported to audio tracks and mixed that instead of the MIDI export. It really is a better way of mixing, but not a convenient one for me so I don't normally do it. I had the time on this piece and with all the work put in on it I wanted to get that extra clarity of sound that audio track mixing can provide.

So without further ado, here's Beyond the Stars...

www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: Beyond the Stars - (that adventure theme now finished)

It sounds great Graham! The change of feel after about 2 minutes or so was spot on. This really captures the theme and development of the space opera type of movies. Wonderful sound on this. This is another lesson in what can be done with samples. Thanks for the post. Jay

Nice complete peace Graham. Listened to this twice in row!

Regards,

Richard

Neat stuff! You have great sense of William's style, even down to the flute runs.

I have to say whenever I listen to your work I have to fight a temptation to go out and drop $2000 on sample libraries. I seem to be constantly reminding my self that doing so won't magically fill in several years of study and practice.

Oh! I was looking at the first thread for updates - Here we are, new thread. OK, it deserves the extra space, because miracles never cease - it really is more stupendous than ever, Graham!

You've had some very attentive feedback with these work-in-progress postings, so I've just hung back and let the others do the work - The only thing I've done is kick back, turn the volume up, and enjoy each incarnation. They've all been outstanding, and it's been great fun to watch and listen as you keep working on moving up and up the quality ladder.

You know me - I believe you're right that there's a greater clarity of sound possible with audio mixing, and that's one reason it's still the only way I work, time consuming as it is. This new mix positively sparkles, it's so clear and punchy.

That opening, with the strings Way up higher works so well now, yeppers.

Love it - John Williams would indeed be proud.

Randy

What a great job. Nothing more need be said about the rendering, I may experiment with audio myself. However, I suspect there is more to it than that. The orchestration is splendid and just completely captures the genre. A lot going on that makes it easy and interesting to listen to.

Thanks to all for the comments. I'm very happy with how it turned out in the end and this piece was the straw that broke the camels back reading the template set up I had for MIDI production.

Regarding the libraries and to draw on a point made by Daniel, it's true that some more expensive libraries can in theory give you a more instant out of the box sound but I've had to really work on my MIDI tweaking skills for a long time now, as well as my audio mixing, EQing and even how to properly use reverb just to get to this point. And I'm still tweaking - and my template has completely changed now after this to have all MIDI data routed to audio tracks so I can actually EQ and set different audio processing on any single MIDI signal I want. The flexibility of this approach was worth the 5 hours it took me to get my head around setting it up. I think it was made harder by Ableton Live's 'unique' way of presenting the track mixers. Plus Kontakt plug-in needed it's own set up too which I had to find a tutorial for.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Gosh, it's wonderful. Great music. The brass slays me!

Go Back to forum