• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Legend of Zelda - Main Theme (Legendary)

Share/Bookmark

Legend of Zelda - Main Theme (Legendary)

Version 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzidVMmieoY

Old version with more reverb:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNoWVD_icgo

Here is another gaming arrangement for the listening room !!! This time it's from one of the most epic video games in my time, "Legend of Zelda." This is the main theme from the game. This is no basic arrangement! I completely orchestrated this! Hope ya all enjoy listening to this one!!!

*It is also known as the overworld theme.

Original Compositions:

Zelda III - A Link to the Past:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkH2zETKqws

Zelda
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpEzYEoV9qY

Libraries used:

- Garritan Instant Orchestra
    - Garritan Personal Orchestra

Re: Legend of Zelda - Main Theme (Legendary)

I was in a coffee shop just this afternoon and what was playing but the Legend of Zelda overworld theme (which I explained to my wife as an ancient folk tune of Hyrule to which she rolled her eyes.) This was however, a mix down version of the 8bit theme with lots of thud-thud-thud tossed in not at all like your orchestrated version.

Anyhow, this tune seems to be following me around today. It's amazing how after spending countless hours in the late 80's and early 90's hearing simple themes like this looped over-and-over again leaves an indelible impression in the brain that almost resonates through the skull when heard, like some form of odd Pavlovian response.

It has nice and dramatic flow and I like the placement of the cymbal crashes, through I think some of the mid and lows seemed somewhat muddied, maybe by too much reverb. The percussion could benefit with a little more crispness I think.

I quite like the brass section. I'm curious on which patches you used as I have been experimenting lately on mixing in some of the IO patches in with the GPO patches to give orchestral sections more fullness. For instance, with brass I have found adding a measure of the "trumpets attack" in with the trumpet section and the "full brass unison" in with the Horns seems to have a nice effect.

Thanks for the feedback Daniel,

This tune has been with me for year myself :P

I used two brass sections both the sam trumpet sections and sam horn sections that came with GPO 4. I also used the GPO lush viola and violin sections with the violins playing the same notes but at an octave higher. As for the reverb, I put a little bit of a heavier reverb on this mix to try and give it a more live concert feel rather than a studio mastered version. I feel my ears like this kind of sound... it really was a personal choice.

However, for IO brass, I LOVE Organic brass! The wagner is also good. I used a lot of it in my First Movement to Save Tara - Symphony for an Angel composition. I also used a lot of the mixed patches, I felt they gave a good warm feel. I also used a lot of the GPO string sections in my symphony as well.

Thanks for listening to the arrangement, I think I am going to do Final Fantasy's main theme next.

Regards,

Richard

Ah cool! I did an orchestration of this theme too on my channel. Always been a favourite.

Great work on the orchestration - the only problem in the mix is (as mentioned by Daniel) a lot of reverb mud floating in the mid/low level. It's making the theme and orchestration sound undefined.

I can't remember, do you use a DAW or a notation program? If you use a DAW, are you separating the instrument families into different instances of Aria? You should if not, and tweak the reverb on each so it will be cleaner. Ideally then you need to also EQ out the bottom of the reverbs so they aren't building up that muddy overlapping sound.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Okay, after going back and listing to it today. I can see what both of you mean lol. I guess after listening to it all day while creating it kind of messes with years. I was trying to get that live feel, but I can definitely see what you guys are talking about.

So by EQing the lower bass off of the reverbs which I have on a send channel that should do the trick? Which frequencies would you suggest to cut from. I am using Sonar and have each midi channel sent to it's seprate audio output in Aria.I have the sends pretty close to which is a balanced send to the reverb bus. lowest is -6 from send which is the closer instruments. Also have mian volume bus to adjusts with the reverb bus for additional tweeking, and the nthey both go to the master bus for final results.

Thanks again for the feedback Graham and Daniel.

Regards,

Richard

LOL, I make these days of sitting on a piece overnight and having a fresh listen the next day before I finish. The ears get tired even if you aren't and you don't hear potential issues any more.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

OKAY! I worked on this again with FRESH ears :P.

I took both of your guys' advice. I brightened the percussion a bit with the bright control in aria, and I eq's the reverb and also did some reductions form dry volume bus with the reverb bus.

Much more crisp and punchy! I can hear the strings much more clearly now. They do still sound slightly nebulous in the mix but they are much easier to pick out.

I've been finding for reverb when my ear starts wearing out (after about 5min of mixing) that it helps to visually monitor the volumes of the source signal and the output of the reverb separately I'm not against heavier reverb (I like the Cathedral sound in the right context) but I think it starts sounding unnatural when reflected sound approaches or is heavier than the source sound.

Equalizing the low end of the reverb might be more complicated approach than is necessary On a spectrograph, a reverb signal looks very much like the source signal with the high end attenuated. Reducing the low end can will make it look more like the source signal so that in the end you have more of a delay/echo effect than a reverberation. It may be just as simple as increasing the dry signal and pulling down the reverb a tad.

I hope I don't sound nit picky hear. It's already above what I'd be able to achieve at my current skill level so Bravo!

It occurred to me listening to this a second time that the first two notes of this tune are what I hum as a reference for a descending perfect fourth. Not Beethoven or Elgar but Zelda. Seems almost sad really.

Thanks again for some more feedback Daniel. Zelda... it really is loaded with memories! I think I messed up... I forgot to spread the percussion! I listened to it again and the snare's are centered. Usually, I'd put some stereo expanding effects on percussion. I may have to do this for a third time. The strings were meant to sound distant and bairly in the mix, mroe of a quiet. However, I can pump up the volume on them when I do this for a thrid tiem and see how it sounds.

Regards,

RIchard

Neat, fun stuff, Richard - You know me well enough that you won't be surprised this theme is new to me! Sounding pretty darned good here.

I see the thread is about wrestling with reverb and other mix settings. It's always difficult and just takes time. Just don't be in a rush to call things a wrap as you work - There's no hurry, no race. As Graham said, the best thing to do is come up with what you think is a good mix, and then re-visit it later on another day when your ears are fresh. And do that several times for each project. I'll spend weeks on a mix for something that took a few days to write. It all just takes time.

Keep on truckin'-!

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast