• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Film Score Demo 4

Share/Bookmark

Film Score Demo 4

https://soundcloud.com/davidrhepwort...m-score-demo-4

Film Score Demo. Composed by David "Skippy" Hepworth
    Written and recorded in Finale with samples from Garritan Personal Orchestra and Garritan Instruments for Finale. Hope you enjoy
    My Music - https://soundcloud.com/davidrhepworth-1
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Skippy

Re: Film Score Demo 4

Skippy! This sounds very cool to me. I would really like to hear what you do with when you further develop it.
    Thanks for the post. Jay

David, you're doing wonderful work, and we're fortunate to have you performing for us here at the Forum. I'm with Jay - I'm looking forward to hearing this piece as it develops. Great!

Randy

I replied to your Country side, but somehow it never appeared, but now again, a beautiful piece, really a poem...
    I was mentioning Aron Copland in my reply, not that you sound like him, but your melodies are reminding me of his works, and I mean this as a high compliment.
    Your music is wonderful, and I mean full of beautiful wonders, you create the tapestry of your music as a painter would with colors.
    It is fantastic, that we had a great thread on notation programs vs DWS, and the consensus was that you can never get a well sounding piece from notation programs, you'll have to go through a DWS.
    By your postings, the quality of your sounds, we should be running to get a notation program, study, work, read and hope to get close to your output.
    Keep your postings coming, your music is truly beautiful...

Ted

This is really great stuff. It really works as a film score I look forward to hearing it in the event you choose to develop it further.

Hi David

A truly wonderful score and you prove how beautiful the Garritan instruments can sound, even directly from a notation program.

Thanks for sharing

Max

Very nice understated scoring.

In my opinion, there's just that one issue which was also present on the previous track, the piano sounds like it is far far away in the distance. The hollow reverb sound of the piano in these style of soundtrack pieces is always used to good effect, but you need to bring it closer in this instance as it's just too far. I think it sounds like a 100% wet signal and no dry at all.

Did you add in an external reverb to finale and leave the wet fader up perhaps, or perhaps it's 100% send in the aria player to the aria reverb?
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Thank you for listening and for all the comments! I'll keep you posted for when I get it developed more.

But for now, I agree there was too much reverb on the piano. Before, I had one instance of garritan ambience applied to the whole thing under the master effects in the vst instrument setup dialog box. The reverb setting I usually use seems to sound ok with everything except the piano. So what I've done now is setup the piano in one instance of Aria, and the rest of the orchestra in another. I've applied my usual amount of reverb to the instance with the orchestra, and applied a much smaller amount to the instance with the piano.

I've experimented with the reverb built into the aria player a little bit, but so far I haven't been able to get a natural homogeneous sound with the send knobs, so I still use the garritan ambience effect outside of the aria player. In this case however, I am using the aria reverb for the piano. Thanks plow for bringing this to my attention. I hope this version sounds a bit better. The link at the top should be updated.

Ted- I think your reply is in another listening area on the northern sounds forum. Copland is a great source of inspiration. I'm glad I'm able to prove those DWS lovers wrong haha

Thank you all for you kind words. We are very fortunate to have this wonderful community to share music and ideas with. Much Love, Skippy
    My Music - https://soundcloud.com/davidrhepworth-1
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Skippy

Very nice piece. I enjoyed it. Feels magical and soothing.

Quote Originally Posted by davidrhepworth View Post
    ...I've applied my usual amount of reverb to the instance with the orchestra, and applied a much smaller amount to the instance with the piano.

I've experimented with the reverb built into the aria player a little bit, but so far I haven't been able to get a natural homogeneous sound with the send knobs...
    Hello again, David - The new mix sounds good, I can hear that the piano is closer/less reverberent.

In the Sibelius mixer, one can mix different amounts of reverb for each instrument - I'm sure Finale's mixer has the same ability. But to use the mixer in ARIA can work beautifully if you keep the differences between instruments subtle. I think perhaps you haven't gotten the "homogeneous sound" you want with the Send knobs because you've set their levels too different from each other.

Not intending this to be a template, but rather just an off-the-top-of-head approximation of the kind of ARIA Send levels you could use, and referring to dial locations as hours on a clock:

--Strings 10:00

--Winds 10:30

--Brass 11:00

--Percussion 11:30 to 12:00

and the values could be even closer than that. We talk about reverb establishing how far away instruments are from the listener, but we never mean for the differences to be wildly different, just a bit so.

By the way - if you get settings you like for a particular piece (reverb needs are different for every piece)--you want to use the Convolution Reverb --Just using that instead of the old artificial Garritan Ambience will make your results vastly superior.

Maybe you can experiment a bit more, because to add one level to an entire orchestra isn't doing as much for your music as you could. And to be forced to have a new instance of ARIA just to have one instrument's reverb level different is a clumsy work-around.

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast