• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Strange 'composer voting' going on!

Share/Bookmark

Strange \'composer voting\' going on!

Hi Guys & Girls,

Since I don\'t have a website, and I wanted to make a track of mine accessible to a few people I know, I decided to use the \'Composer Vote\' area (MP3.COM takes forever!). Now, although I don\'t want/need my ego stroked, and in fact was not even expecting anyone to take the time to listen to my piece, it was a little shocking to discover that 5 people each gave my track a score of 1. I thought that maybe my piece just wasn\'t those 5 voters \'cup of tea\', but I was shocked to see the same voting for 2 excellent compositions by Noys and Jamesmcwilliams!!

Is there some immature \'composer vote\' gang that are just trying to keep themselves at the top of these massively important charts by giving every new composition a 1? I voted for several pieces, and the lowest I gave, for a piece that I really didn\'t think was good, was a 3. I gave an 8 and many in between. I wouldn\'t dream of being so harsh as to give anyone a 1! Maybe that\'s just me?

Interestingly, the piece I posted, which is a mock-up of the simplest arrangement of a theme from a film I had the privelage of writing for, drew praise from many of you guys, including Simon Ravn and Damon. Strange how the main composer, the Director, and the suits at Miramax liked it as well! Go have a listen to the pieces by Noys and James McWilliams. They are really good. I would easily give them 7 or 8. In fact, I will go back there now and vote for them.

If any of you \'voters\' are reading this, congratulations!! Are you happy that you\'re still riding high in the Giga charts? This is about honesty guys, not ego. You are obviously a very sad bunch.

Chris

Re: Strange \'composer voting\' going on!

Been there. Internet is full of *****s like that... The best you can do is just ignore them because this is exactly what they want.

I wouldn\'t put any confidence in that voting system either, no doubt there are some immature folks who like to dish out 1s just to up their score or just because they think it\'s funny to drag a score down.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I just went and gave Noys, McWilliams and a few others some decent scores that they deserve!!

Guess what I discovered though? You can vote more than once for the same piece! Well, that makes a mockery of the voting. It could be just one ***hole having fun with all of us!

Whoever these guys are, I\'m sure they are legends in their own minds!!!

Chris

Well look at me, I\'ve got 4 out of 5 stars on my name!

Just so you know, I think (I hope) most of us don\'t care about the votes too much. Especially when it comes to opinions on demos.

Demos are a funny thing: we put them out there hoping to get some sort of affirmation that we are at least on te right track, if not completely brilliant. But in the end, music and art are so subjective, and it really comes down to beauty being in the eye of the beholder, or musical 5 star quality sometimes being in the waxy ear of the listener.

Then again, we need feedback because our own waxy ears are always biased. It\'s hard for a composer to remove his/her own [personal filter and listen for what it is, simply becuase he/she was the one working on it all those hours, days, weeks etc.

Comments are way more useful than stars. Our midi music requires feedback not just because of composition, but midi technique. Far better to look for comments and feedback of that sort.

Originally posted by ChrisAxia:
    Hi Guys & Girls,

Since I don\'t have a website, and I wanted to make a track of mine accessible to a few people I know, I decided to use the \'Composer Vote\' area (MP3.COM takes forever!). Now, although I don\'t want/need my ego stroked, and in fact was not even expecting anyone to take the time to listen to my piece, it was a little shocking to discover that 5 people each gave my track a score of 1. I thought that maybe my piece just wasn\'t those 5 voters \'cup of tea\', but I was shocked to see the same voting for 2 excellent compositions by Noys and Jamesmcwilliams!!

Is there some immature \'composer vote\' gang that are just trying to keep themselves at the top of these massively important charts by giving every new composition a 1? I voted for several pieces, and the lowest I gave, for a piece that I really didn\'t think was good, was a 3. I gave an 8 and many in between. I wouldn\'t dream of being so harsh as to give anyone a 1! Maybe that\'s just me?

Interestingly, the piece I posted, which is a mock-up of the simplest arrangement of a theme from a film I had the privelage of writing for, drew praise from many of you guys, including Simon Ravn and Damon. Strange how the main composer, the Director, and the suits at Miramax liked it as well! Go have a listen to the pieces by Noys and James McWilliams. They are really good. I would easily give them 7 or 8. In fact, I will go back there now and vote for them.

If any of you \'voters\' are reading this, congratulations!! Are you happy that you\'re still riding high in the Giga charts? This is about honesty guys, not ego. You are obviously a very sad bunch.

Chris
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">ummmm?...Are you serious?

Alex

Hi Robert,

I agree. Constructive criticism is far better than marking a piece out of ten. It is just very silly that one or more idiots are doing this, especially now that I realise you can vote again and again for any piece!

I must have listened to 30 pieces, and I gave an honest vote on every one of them, mostly giving scores between 5 and 8. Most people deserve at least a 5 for the effort!

Chris

Hey Alex,

Why do you ask if I`m serious? Have you posted a composition of yours there that you thought was OK? Would you expect your fellow composers to give you an honest vote? There has always been excellent constructive criticism on this forum. I assumed this would be carried over into the `composer vote` area. Obviously it is not!

As I said in the original post, I originally assumed that these guys just didn`t like my piece, but then I realised that many other really excellent compositions were getting similar treatment.

It is pointless to have a voting area where the same person can vote repeatedly on as many pieces he/she wishes to.

I`m sorry you think my post was a joke to you.

Chris

Mr.Chris

I don`t know what other people think but
    I thought your composition was great.
    What sample library did you use for the piano ?

I posted a track last year on the Composer Vote Area,
    but I became embarrassed with my compostion
    day after day....
    But I really appreciate the people who
    spent there time to listen to my music .
    I was really happy when I saw 50 people had
    listen to it . Well all of you who listened to it ,
    might of regretted it .lol

Veron

Originally posted by ChrisAxia:
    Hey Alex,

Why do you ask if I`m serious? Have you posted a composition of yours there that you thought was OK? Would you expect your fellow composers to give you an honest vote? There has always been excellent constructive criticism on this forum. I assumed this would be carried over into the `composer vote` area. Obviously it is not!

As I said in the original post, I originally assumed that these guys just didn`t like my piece, but then I realised that many other really excellent compositions were getting similar treatment.

It is pointless to have a voting area where the same person can vote repeatedly on as many pieces he/she wishes to.

I`m sorry you think my post was a joke to you.

Chris
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No Chris I\'m sorry. I seriously tought that you were puling our leg, but now I see that everybody is quite serious about this. Sorry that you\'re hurt.

I just couldn\'t belive that a grown up professional can be personaly hurt so much by bunch of anonimous forum dwelers giving him bad marks. And I still find it funny.

Do you doubt in your talent and craft that much?

Alex

Go Back to forum