• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT:dedicated altiverb Mac?

Share/Bookmark

OT:dedicated altiverb Mac?

Hi..
    I\'ve seen a few mentions on this forum of Macs being dedicated to Altiverb. How is such a setup configured and integrated with ones sequencer - which in my case is Logic on a G4?

Alternately, how are Altiverb users suriviving the CPU hit- is it workable to have it all on one machine, while still running some softsynths/samplers etc? (I have an 867 single processor).

Thanks...
    Rob

Re: OT:dedicated altiverb Mac?

Originally posted by rob morsberger:
    Hi..
    I\'ve seen a few mentions on this forum of Macs being dedicated to Altiverb. How is such a setup configured and integrated with ones sequencer - which in my case is Logic on a G4?

Alternately, how are Altiverb users suriviving the CPU hit- is it workable to have it all on one machine, while still running some softsynths/samplers etc? (I have an 867 single processor).

Thanks...
    Rob
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Rob
    I run Altiverb within Logic all the time on a dual 1 gig. I can run 7 instances before Logic caves in. I\'m sure you will find running one or two instances very workable with softsynths/EXS24 on your 867. You might start pushing things if you use the ES2 and/or Atmosphere a lot though. I would certainly give it a try before coughing up the cash for another Mac/audio interface just to run Altiverb as an outboard reverb.

If you\'ve been following the latest Logic news, then you should know that Logic 6 will make it much easier to run as many Altiverb instances as you need using the new \"Freeze\" function.

Check the Emagic site for details, but basically, freeze lets you render your audio track with VST FX intact, creating a temporary audio file that then frees up your CPU resources. This way, once you find the Altiverb settings you like on a track, just \"freeze\" it, and you will have enough processor power to apply the effect to other tracks as well. It\'s really going to change the way alot of people work... In fact, this feature alone has made me reconsider whether or not I wanted to spend the money on the Altiverb.

cheers

You can freeze tracks WITH processing applied?? Jeez, as if I wasn\'t drooling enough over that particular feature already. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I\'m gonna drown in a minute.

Go Back to forum