• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Keyswitching - Am I missing something

Share/Bookmark

Keyswitching - Am I missing something

I\'m putting together a template atm and have ran out of midi ch\'s. I tried using keyswitches but ran into a problem.

Let\'s say you have a keyswitch to a legato patch at bar 1, noodle around a bit, keyswitch to staccato at bar 9, noodle around some more then stop.
    If you start the sequencer at bar 1 everythings cool, but if you play to the end then start again from bar 4, bars 4-9 will be playing a staccato patch instead of legato?
    I realise you can chase events (CC, pitch etc) in the sequencer, but they don\'t seem to chase keyswitches.
    So, is there a clever way around this or do I just need to bite the bullet and get more PC\'s?

Thanks
    Brian

Re: Keyswitching - Am I missing something

The world of MIDI handles note info a bit differently than it handles CC info. Essentially your sequencer will not refer back to the last keyswitch note because it doesn\'t know that it\'s a keyswitch note. Get it?

Essentially, you need to start your sequence from right before the keyswitch occurs for the program to be changed appropriately.

If on the other hand you were using a program change, your sequencer would most likely be able to chase the last program change.

Keyswitching is IMHO a bit overrated and a clunky way of doing something that should really be implemented more elegantly into the MIDI world.

I used to like the Ensoniq ASX\'s way of doing it by having 2 dedicated buttons that would give you keyswitching between different articulations. I believe Ensoniq was the first manufacturer to bring us the idea of keyswitching (unless you consider those accent buttons on early Roland and Korg drum machines key switches).

midphase,

[QB] The world of MIDI handles note info a bit differently than it handles CC info. Essentially your sequencer will not refer back to the last keyswitch note because it doesn\'t know that it\'s a keyswitch note. Get it?

Yeah, I know, but with all this talk of every lib including QLSO implementing keyswitches, I was hoping there was something I was missing [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[QB Midiphase]
    Keyswitching is IMHO a bit overrated and a clunky way of doing something that should really be implemented more elegantly into the MIDI world.

That\'s the impression I had too...Oh well
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions

Brian

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I\'ve actually been working to get a \"searchback\" specification for MIDI Notes in SONAR. Because I have good relationships with that company, I hope to eventually be successful (although to give you an idea of software companies\' development calendars, I\'ve been asking for a year, and the first opportunity will be sometime very late THIS year).

My current workaround, clunky but effective, is to paste a series of quarter notes into another track, and point it to the proper MIDI channel. That way, the \"wrong\" sound never lasts more than a beat.

Bruce
    Clever idea, and this got me thinking, I use Cubase which actually has \"chase notes\" as a selection in the chase filter. But I tried this before I posted and it didn\'t work.
    Reading you post made me realise that it will only chase sustained notes. So, if you make each keyswitch note the whole length of the passage for that articulation it will chase as if it\'s a sustained note.
    And it works !!!!

I don\'t know if Sonar has this, but it\'s worth a look.
    Thanks
    A very happy Brian

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    My current workaround, clunky but effective, is to paste a series of quarter notes into another track, and point it to the proper MIDI channel. That way, the \"wrong\" sound never lasts more than a beat. [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

B, I think I like that better than my solution, which is to place another keyswitch note every place I find myself going back to. Thanks.

Dasher

Just out of curiosity: how would you have the keyswitching done differently?

A continous controller? A program change?

I\'m trying of different ways of how this could be implemented?

Cheers,

Joris

Joris
    I think the best way would be if (or when) they rewrite the midispec, they included an articulation change command and a few others to assist with the advances that have been made in sampling.

Patch changes wouldn\'t really work as we still want them for patch changes.

I edited some stuff to use Mod wheel switching and it\'s OK but once you get above three articulations to switch it just becomes too fiddly to use.

ATM I have figured out a way of using keyswitches that I\'m happy with. If you\'re interested, I can post the details later.

Brian

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joris de Man:
    [QB] Just out of curiosity: how would you have the keyswitching done differently?

thesoundsmith,

me too... me too. lol, I hate entering keynotes especially when VSL uses c-1 to e0 for the keyswitch region and it figures that Cakewalk 9 doesn\'t go below c0.

I think manufacturers need to either give users some MIDI \"buttons\" that can be configured to send whatever the keyswitch signal is, or a sort of \"notched\" Mod Wheel so that you can feel the keyswitch regions by going to the next notch.
    I am sure there could be more creative ways to do it, I really like the Ensoniq VSX buttons, they were placed right above the Pitch/Mod Wheels and they worked really well!

Go Back to forum