• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Hans Zimmerish soundclips by me....

Share/Bookmark

New Hans Zimmerish soundclips by me....

Hey everyone... just wanted to see what you all thought of these clips of two pieces that I did in the Media Ventures style. The samples I used are as follows:

Sam Horns
    Sam Trombones
    G-Town (for ALL the percussion)
    and some brass samples from a friends private collection.

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/3fb3b9a7_13b56/bc/Music/MVStyle+-+French+Horn+Shorts+6.mp3?bf2hZu_AgEraQdIH

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/3fb3b9a7_13b56/bc/Music/SDEnd.mp3?bf2hZu_A5t5ITaf_

Enjoy!

Rich

Re: New Hans Zimmerish soundclips by me....

Rich it sounded good. My only thought ,(and I\'m by far an expert), is to try and scoop out some of the low-mids, around the 200-400hz region. This should get rid of some \"mud\". Perhaps go a little lighter on the reverb too.

Otherwise, you certainly nailed Zimmer\'s \"The Rock\" period. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Oops, that should\'ve read; ,(and I\'m far FROM BEING an expert) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Cool!!! It would be better if you put some bass drum mainly with the anvil. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

and I\'m by far an expert
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hehehe. That was funny. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Yep. You definitely nailed the media ventures sound. Sounds similar to the heroic horn theme from Gladiator to me.

Thanks guys! Zimmer is the reason I got into film scoring to begin with. So for the last 3 years I have wanted to imitate him with at least one piece, I think I finally did lol. Im completely self taught in the ways of Gigastudio... so Scott.. when you say \"try and scoop out some of the low-mids, around the 200-400hz region. This should get rid of some \"mud\".\" how might I do that in Giga or Cool Edit Pro? Thanks!

Rich

Hi Rich, ideally you should be bringing in each track (as a digitally rendered wav file) into your sequencer. From there you treat each track as need be.

It is better to \"find the mud\" on each track individually rather than eq\'ing out a chunk on the final mix. Also depending on the instrument, the mud will be in different ranges.

My first thought when I heard your overall mix was the 200hz-400hz region as I get this happening to my mixes too. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] This is usually generated from horns, trombones and some percussion like toms and bass drums.

This is a very rough and general guide.

Basically, solo a track and BOOST the frequency. Not too wide a band. Then sweep up and down until you hear the really muddy indistinct parts ring out. Once you have found that range, cut fairly gently, try around -3db or so. Then unsolo the track and listen to how it sits in the final mix.

Disclaimer again: I am not an expert at all, try doing a search on \"mix\" and \"eq\" in this board and you\'ll find heaps of great stuff.

Also, search the posts that talk about reducing an instrument down to size to fit in the mix. One very rough example, you might chop a little bottom end out of the horns out so that they sit more clearly on top of your basses and cellos. Likewise, you might cut off the top of the basses and cellos sawing sound a little so that each instrument sits distinctly in its place. This is a great way to achieve seperation in the mix.

Go Back to forum