• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Waltz Milano (from The Week Effort Collection)

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Waltz Milano (from The Week Effort Collection)

Hi all,

This piece is the third installment of my piano collection, “The Week Effort Collection” which will eventually contain 7 pieces , each one being quite different from one another.

Since I was on vacation for 2 weeks I have fallen behind schedule , so I whipped this one out to get moving along again with this collection.

I wanted to include 2 or 3 pieces in this collection that anyone with moderate pianistic skills could perform. This would be one of those. It is a rather simple but lyrical piece in the Italian/Spanish style.

And besides, I didn’t want people to start thinking that I couldn’t write a homogeneous work. A work without huge dynamic eruptions and without mixing of traditional and contemporary harmony in one piece. So if you were one of those that thought I couldn’t write such a work, then this piece is for you. lol

Actually, I rather like the piece. When the main melody starts at around 50 seconds in, I can’t help but visualize a diva singing an aria from a romantic Italian opera. Ah, if I were only a lyricist ………….Randy holds that crown……..I only hold the pen and nothing happens. grrrrr.............

Enjoy (hopefully),

Cass

Garritan Autorized Steinway under lid

Waltz Milano mp3

Waltz Milano Score

Re: Waltz Milano (from The Week Effort Collection)

Cass! This is really very nice. The piece is lyrical, like you said but I do not think that it is simple. The harmonic movement in some spots sounds fairly sophisticated to me. The frequent downward grace notes sounds just great. It adds a lot to the overall sound. Your performance on this is very natural and relaxed. I am impressed with this addition to your week effort collection.
    Thanks for posting. Jay

Very nice and graceful piece. It is just so easy to listen to and enjoy. I feel your lyricist pain. There is a part of me that wants to write in some song form. But I just can't write lyrics. Now it doesn't stop me from trying every so often but I just can't do it. It must use the wrong side of my brain. But thanks for the great piano work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cass Hansen View Post
    ... I didn’t want people to start thinking that I couldn’t write a homogeneous work. A work without huge dynamic eruptions and without mixing of traditional and contemporary harmony in one piece. So if you were one of those that thought I couldn’t write such a work, then this piece is for you. lol...
    hehe, well I certainly didn't think that, Cass, but it is really nice to hear this wonderfully romantic and "homogeneous" work, as you put it.

And, in case anybody hasn't noticed, we are Very fortunate to have you back from your break, and deeply involved in the Forum again. It was just two short weeks - but we missed you!

I am truly in complete awe of your pianistic abilities. You say this is fairly simple - but it's Way beyond what I would be able to sit down and play. I have to just shrug at my mediocre chops, sit back, and thoroughly enjoy what you're able to do both compositionally and performance-wise.

A great side benefit from hearing this is that it's an excellent demo of the late, great Garritan Authorized Steinway. That's a fun perspective to use, with it's super wide stereo spread. Helps us with the fantasy of sitting at a great piano and being able to play this.

Thanks for the commendation on my lyric writing, but one of the hardest things in the world is to write lyrics to a melody line that's already been written. Having the two elements, lyrics and melody, develop at the same time is what I do with my songs, and is what I've done when collaborating. That way both things can bend and sway, according to the demands made by the other element.

Anyway - this is super, Cass. Thanks for keeping us in your composing loop!

Randy

Hey guys, Cass is back. And how!! This piece sounds wonderful. And the piano too. Who am I to think that you couldn't write a homogeneous work? This proves otherwise and you promised doing so the next couple of weeks, so fasten your seatbelts friends. Cass is busy.

Congratulations,

Raymond

Wonderful waltz, super piano skills! Yes, very lyrical - could easily be sung with the right words, but it's beautiful and rich as it is.

Couple of distorted peaks in the loud parts. Need to watch the dynamics. Add a limiter, though it's best to keep the natural dynamics and prevent the peaks with natural volume drops. Not always ideal - limiter might be the way to go.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Cass, did you perform and record Waltz Milano with a midi keyboard or is this an exceptionally well-sequenced render? I don’t know the nature of your illness/injury but if this is you playing, then it certainly has not negatively effected your motor skills.

I hope that writing this piece has help alleviate your pain and suffering as much as listening to it has mine!

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    Cass! This is really very nice. The piece is lyrical, like you said but I do not think that it is simple. The harmonic movement in some spots sounds fairly sophisticated to me. The frequent downward grace notes sounds just great. It adds a lot to the overall sound. Your performance on this is very natural and relaxed. I am impressed with this addition to your week effort collection.
    Thanks for posting. Jay
    Hi Jay,

Thanks for the big thumbs up on this. I guess I should have qualified and explained my use of the word “simple”. You’re quite right of course; although, I’m not quite sure what you mean, either that it is still difficult to play or that the harmonic movement is more complex than the word simple would imply.

Regarding the second statement, yes, it definitely just isn’t I, IV, V chords with a few II, III, and VI’s thrown in for variety. There are a few surprises, but surely not like my last piece I wrote.

Regarding the first thought, It is much simpler to play than the first two pieces I’ve written for this set. (Meadow Lark, Memories That Once Had Been). I learned and played this one much quicker than the other two. But that doesn’t mean it is simple. Thanks for mentioning my oversight on this.

Hope your symphonic writing is going well. Looking forward to your next effort in that style.

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMc View Post
    Very nice and graceful piece. It is just so easy to listen to and enjoy. I feel your lyricist pain. There is a part of me that wants to write in some song form. But I just can't write lyrics. Now it doesn't stop me from trying every so often but I just can't do it. It must use the wrong side of my brain. But thanks for the great piano work.
    Richard,

Thanks for joining my cohort of lyrically challenged musicians. But we’re far from being alone on this issue. I mean, why would so many composers write music entitled, “Songs without words” or something to that effect.

I’m glad that doesn’t stop you from trying. I think I’m missing that half of my brain completely so I don’t try any more. Lol

I agree, this piece is easy to listen to. That was really my goal for this one. I nice lyrical ditty to listen to before you’re off to do something you don’t really want to do, but have to anyway….that’s life. Glad it helped!

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I am truly in complete awe of your pianistic abilities. You say this is fairly simple - but it's Way beyond what I would be able to sit down and play. I have to just shrug at my mediocre chops, sit back, and thoroughly enjoy what you're able to do both compositionally and performance-wise.

Hey Randy,

If you were a stellar pianist too, besides all your other gifted musical attributes, I would just hang it up and play dominos. Give me at least one thing I can be good at! Lol (although, I’m quite sure you’re being modest again.)
    A great side benefit from hearing this is that it's an excellent demo of the late, great Garritan Authorized Steinway. That's a fun perspective to use, with it's super wide stereo spread. Helps us with the fantasy of sitting at a great piano and being able to play this.
    Regarding the late, great, Garritan Authorized Steinway. I own many piano libraries, but I keep going back to this one because of the tone and richness of timbre. Newer libraries have all these new bells and whistles, (true staccato, string strength, hammer hardness, individual string tuning, and on and on) but they all come up short in the main thing we get a piano sample library for……Tone. Just as in the real acoustic world, one piano cannot do everything. I use other libraries for jazz or new age, or chamber music. But for solo classical style music, which this collection is mostly about, you can’t Beat GAS!

I do love the under lid perspective for its wide stereo field. If you haven’t guessed by now, I don’t really write pianisticly for the piano, but more in a orchestral style. So I like the sound to be full and wide like an orchestra. Maybe not authentic in sound for the traditional piano recording, but it’s what my mind’s eye envisions when I compose for piano. (My next piece I’m working on really exemplifies what I’m talking about here.)
    Thanks for the commendation on my lyric writing, but one of the hardest things in the world is to write lyrics to a melody line that's already been written. Having the two elements, lyrics and melody, develop at the same time is what I do with my songs, and is what I've done when collaborating. That way both things can bend and sway, according to the demands made by the other element.

Randy
    I hear what you’re saying on the two elements (melody, lyrics) simultaneously blending them as you go. That would be much easier than having one already completed (poem, or piece) and then applying the other. But the point is, you still have to be gifted/talented in both categories in order to make it work. You are a gifted lyricist and composer Randy. Lucky you! And I know you don’t take it for granted.

But most of us are not. That’s why we have Gilbert and Sullivan, Roger and Hammerstein, Lerner and Loewe, Ira and George Gershwin, Tim Rice and Elton John, and so on. How’s it feel to have two people inside of you? Lol

Thanks as always for the listen, (from both of you)

Cass

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast