• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale and VSTi's

Share/Bookmark

Finale and VSTi\'s

Anyone had succes using Finale to convert midi scores to audio with VSTi\'s? If so, does Finale enable access to a VSTi besides the Finale SmartMusicSoundFonts? Or can you run the VSTi stand-alone and make it recognise the Finale midi output stream? Any help is appreciated.

Re: Finale and VSTi\'s

If it is stand-alone like Kontakt, you can send midi data to it, using Midi yoke or that kind of software.

It is impossible to do what you exactly want to do.
    \"Export wave.\" function is only for Finale SmartMusicSoundFonts.

I talked to some of representatives of Coda/Make Music, but they are not interested in providing VSTi function or integration to software sampler like Sibelius does.

Of course, Giga works quite well... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

... fast aswers!
    If Finale can send midi to Kon*akt I can capture the audio stream that comes from Kon*akt to the audio card with any audio editor, recording in free mode.
    I was just wandering what audio-playback is supported in Finale. It seems they have a midi implementation (very minimal) and their own SoundFont playback but they disregard the latest technology in sampling.
    This would force a Finale user to export his midi data to a VSTi/DXi/RTAS/AU environment to listen to the score. This seems like a pain. And it adds another step between creation and auditioning.
    Thanks for the help.

Finale’s focus has always been on publishing, rather than playback. Also, most finale users seems to have low standards for playback sound quality, and think that the included SoundFont playback is great. For these reason, I think it unlikely that they will make Finale a VST host anytime soon.

Finale’s MIDI implementation isn’t really minimal, it’s just really inconvenient to use. Otherwise, you DO have control of every MIDI parameter, and can send MIDI to anything that shows up as a standard MIDI device. I don’t think MIDI Yoke works under WinXP. Sonic Foundry makes a virtual MIDI router that I’ve had good luck with.

>>I don’t think MIDI Yoke works under WinXP.

It works fine in my Win XPs.

Originally posted by Ken-P:
    >>I don’t think MIDI Yoke works under WinXP.

It works fine in my Win XPs.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">On the VSL site they say.....

don\'t run midi yoke, which comes with the demo CD on a W2K/XP system, it may freeze your gigastudio with a bad undetected midi-loop in some configurations.
    if you need virtual midiports for routing i\'d recommend to download mapleports instead, which has been generously made available by Jeff Hurchalla as a freeware.

Brian

One feature that you\'ll want to check on your version of Finale is support of the START and STOP MIDI commands. These are used by Giga (and maybe other samplers) to start and stop audio recording. Sure, you can trigger by hand, but if you\'re going to track the instruments/sections separately, you don\'t want to have to sync them by ear down the road.

Sibelius 2.x didn\'t support START/STOP, but 3.0 does. (My requested feature was implemented! And they even mention Giga in the manual.)

Sibelius 3.0 also now ships with Kontakt Silver, and Kontakt Gold is an extra clam ($100). Aside from pizz, they don\'t do articulations, but they sound a lot better than a MIDI soundcard.

Luckily, Sib has good MIDI output support. It\'s easy to add MIDI commands such a program changes to Sibelius. Its the envelopes where it falls way short. Oh well, you can export the MIDI data to a sequencer for that.

Anyway, Sibelius interfaces well with modern samplers, but don\'t ditch your sequencer just yet. Maybe when Sibelius 4.0 comes out...

Go Back to forum