• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Legend of Erthia (Might and Magic and Ultima Inspired Game)

Share/Bookmark

The Legend of Erthia (Might and Magic and Ultima Inspired Game)

Well, I have been focused on my project Save Tara - Symphony for an Angel the last little while (putting LOE aside due to time restrictions) and have completed the first movement, my greatest composition in my composing history, but I am going to take a little break from the symphony for a bit before I work on the second movement. I need to get back to work on LOE.

I have posted quite a bit of my compositions for my two projects, LOE - Armageddon (Might and Magic style) and LOE - The Etheral Gate (Ultima VII style) in the listening room to date. I wanted to share a little more information on my project which I have been working on for years and have successfully gained some fame.

To start, both LOE games are free and not for profit, as I promised a few years ago to the fans who have been following the LOE development. Most recently I have gotten full permission from Ubisoft to use their assets from Might and Magic IV - Might and Magic VIII. This has been a big help on the project. Ubisoft has recognized Legend of Erthia - Armageddon as a great MM-like project. LOE - The Etheral Gate I have purchased all the assets myself. It is till in a beginning phase as compared to LOE - Armageddon.

Both games share the same story, apocalyptic and end world like theme.

INCOMPLETE TIMELINE:

1997 - Fantasy Quest (FRUA)
    Frua (Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures) is an old ad&d gold box game creator. This is the very beginning of my game making with computers. I was very young here, but my head was filled with ideas... mostly inspired by Ultima VII. The module I was working on was called "Fantasy Quest". I spent about a year and and half creating with this engine. I ended up with three modules when I was done (FQ, FQII, FQIII). These were all very basic games and have no real involvement with any of the other LOE based projects. However, the reason why this is important in LOE history is because the main characters to LOE originates here.

2000 - Fantasy World (Rpg Maker 2k)

This was the beginning of my project (pre-LOE). It was a very basic game mainly using the default setting with Rpg Maker 2k. The ideas brought in the project were a combination between Ultima VII (characters and basic tasks) and Might and Magic (equipment and spells). Fantasy World was a very simple project and the beginning of of my game creation with Rpg Maker. There are still no main heroes, but one extremely important part of this project that still remains today is that the physical geographic layout to Erthia uses the same overworld map that was used in this project. Unfortunately, due to a bad formatting accident I lost all of the files to this game (which was completed).

2002 - The Legend of Erthia (Nedango)

This is where two of the most important parts to LOE begins. One, this is where the name “Legend of Erthia was created,” and two, Maximus, the main hero to LOE is created here. Nedango was such a wonderful engine to work with because it was an action rpg maker similar to Diablo or a point and click MMO. I got a fair chunk of progress developing LOE from this engine. My goal was to try and get a good Ultima VII like experience but turned out more like and Ultima VIII like experience. Some of the cities, main villains, and even the current main story had also originated here. This is a very important part of LOE history.

2003 - Fantasy World (Rpg Maker 2K3)
    With more of the story down, heroes, villains, and the same physical world. I decided to attempt to create the world of Erthia again but using Rpg Maker 2K3. Again, I went back to using just Fantasy World as the title. The layout was pretty much the same as the Fantasy World from Rpg Maker 2k but with a story, characters, and villains. Again, the game used a very basic Might and Magic theme such as the names of the spells, equipment, etc… However, the game was still played similar to Final Fantasy. This is one of my favorites to LOE history. I had quite a bit done in this project. The database was 80% complete and I had over 50 maps completed. It was progressing very nicely. Unfortunately, the project came to halt shortly after Rpg Maker XP was released. The game engine had new features and grabbed my interest.

LOE - Armageddon: Played like Might and Magic.

LOE - The Etheral Gate: Played like Ultima VII

Official Website:
    http://www.legendoferthia.com/

Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/thelegendoferthia

Videos:

Machines of War, the Guardian: (LOE - Armageddon):
    *Note: The party level is way to low to be in this part of the game. I set this up for demonstration purposes.

Introduction to LOE - The Etheral Gate:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGpizvxv3cU

Here are all of the main heroes of Erthia: Maximus (Paladin), Catherine (Cleric), Arthur (Ranger), Priam (Barbarian), Celesta (Thief), and Draxilism (Sorcerer). They are in both games: LOE - Armageddon and LOE - The Etheral Gate. Both games share the same story but are played differently: one MM-style the other Ultima-style.

Full list of important characters currently in both LOE games:
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-l...87724157950605

Frederick, Captain of the Felicia Guards:

"Kill the damn vermin scum... the bloody goblins are nothing more than nuisances to Felicia." as Frederick would say. Frederick is an elite character throughout LOE - Armageddon and LOE - The Etheral Gate. He is the captain of Felicia guards and the most skilled knight in all of Erthia. He vows to eradicate the entire goblin race!

Captain Le Duke:

Captain Le Duke, the most ruthless and fearsome pirate of all of Erthia! He's a liar, he's a cheater, he's a thief, and he's a murderer but he loves his gold and rum!

Dragon from LOE - TEG:

Introduction:

Little did anyone know... its existence became a legend. They tried to warn us, but there were those who sought it. We never listened, and the aftermath was inevitable. Most of Erthia had been annihilated from its devastating power. It's been 1000 years since that day...

"Something happened in the past that nearly destroyed the world... something terrible, and history is about to repeat itself. Five heroes will take on the task to prevent something so intense and catastrophic. If they fail... it will be Armageddon."

It's now 2000 years after the present... The beautiful city of Felicia, once the city of knights in the past... the soldiers tried with all their courage, will, and faith to stop it... Now this beautiful place remains in a pile of burning ruins and ash. The machines of war and the havoc of the one who controls this power... there is no more hope...

The parallel world... known as the Etheral Void... a place where time and reality are manipulated. Felicia in the present is the city of heroic knights. in the future... it is the city of ruins... caused by the same destruction which nearly wiped out Erthia 1000 years before the present.

It is up to the five heroes to change this reality... the answers can be found within the source of power...

The Serpent of the Void:

The Serpent of the Void... a creature of pure mystery. Not much is known about this hydra-like beast, for nobody has lived to tell the story who have encountered one if anyone has at all... This legendary creature was mentioned in an ancient scroll from 1000 years ago, the time of the great devastation where Erthia was almost completely destroyed. The scroll describes the Serpent of the Void as a powerful beast from the Etheral Void... the parallel world. It resembles that of a Gamma Gazer (from MM5).

The Machines of War:

Guardians... armed with a gatling gun, laser blaster, and a missile launcher. These machines of war were created to protect the, "The Source of Power." 1000 years ago... as result of the great devastation which was caused by this power. All of the the guardians' auto-defense mechanisms were activated. People, beasts, and large armies were all slaughtered to pieces by the devastating power in which these machines of war possessed.

Bailor, Commander of the Elite Army:

Finally, the first character ever to be created in all of my game making history. Here is the legendary character of The Legend of Erthia, Bailor! The King of Etherberg (leading city of Erthia) has chosen Bailor to command the elite army of Erthia. His task is to command and enforce the laws of order, and he does a good job at it.

I want to thank my friend Jesse Bemben, the character art designer to Bailor, for upgrading his visual appearance to the modern Era! I couldn't have done this without Jesse's help. You can see other art by Jesse at his site:

http://www.pioneervalleygames.com/

A Darkened Image of Bailor:

A map of Felicia and About 65% of the Surrounding Region:

Re: The Legend of Erthia (Might and Magic and Ultima Inspired Game)

Richard! It's a huge, impressive project, actually a number of projects you have going with all this. Wow.

You know me - it's all an alien world to me, a sub-culture I don't know much about or understand really. But we can see your deeply into it, and doing a massive amount of work in it.

I don't know what "I have purchased all the assets myself" actually means- ?

And after seeing all these various characters, the list of "The Heroes of Erthia"--but you say Bailor is "the first character ever to be created in all of my game making history"--You mean he was the first? Or he's the first original character?

My head swims - it's all beyond me - But the post sure is impressive!

Randy

Re: The Legend of Erthia (Might and Magic and Ultima Inspired Game)

Hehe, sorry Randy! My explanations can at times be so over the place. I will have to edit this to make it more understandable, this is a problem of my own. Fortunately, I got a good dialogue writer for the game, so I don't have to worry about any in-game text issues lol. Below is some of the history of LOE. I have long past with game creation. I will also post this is the main thread as well:

########################################
    #Incomplete Timeline - Still working on it 1997-2013

1997 - Fantasy Quest (FRUA)

Frua (Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures) is an old ad&d gold box game creator. This is the very beginning of my game making with computers. I was very young here, but my head was filled with ideas... mostly inspired by Ultima VII. The module I was working on was called "Fantasy Quest". I spent about a year and and half creating with this engine. I ended up with three modules when I was done (FQ, FQII, FQIII). These were all very basic games and have no real involvement with any of the other LOE based projects. However, the reason why this is important in LOE history is because the main characters to LOE originates here.

2000 - Fantasy World (Rpg Maker 2k)

This was the beginning of my project (pre-LOE). It was a very basic game mainly using the default setting with Rpg Maker 2k. The ideas brought in the project were a combination between Ultima VII (characters and basic tasks) and Might and Magic (equipment and spells). Fantasy World was a very simple project and the beginning of of my game creation with Rpg Maker. There are still no main heroes, but one extremely important part of this project that still remains today is that the physical geographic layout to Erthia uses the same overworld map that was used in this project. Unfortunately, due to a bad formatting accident I lost all of the files to this game (which was completed).

2002 - The Legend of Erthia (Nedango)

This is where two of the most important parts to LOE begins. One, this is where the name “Legend of Erthia was created,” and two, Maximus, the main hero to LOE is created here. Nedango was such a wonderful engine to work with because it was an action rpg maker similar to Diablo or a point and click MMO. I got a fair chunk of progress developing LOE from this engine. My goal was to try and get a good Ultima VII like experience but turned out more like and Ultima VIII like experience. Some of the cities, main villains, and even the current main story had also originated here. This is a very important part of LOE history.

2003 - Fantasy World (Rpg Maker 2K3)
    With more of the story down, heroes, villains, and the same physical world. I decided to attempt to create the world of Erthia again but using Rpg Maker 2K3. Again, I went back to using just Fantasy World as the title. The layout was pretty much the same as the Fantasy World from Rpg Maker 2k but with a story, characters, and villains. Again, the game used a very basic Might and Magic theme such as the names of the spells, equipment, etc… However, the game was still played similar to Final Fantasy. This is one of my favorites to LOE history. I had quite a bit done in this project. The database was 80% complete and I had over 50 maps completed. It was progressing very nicely. Unfortunately, the project came to halt shortly after Rpg Maker XP was released. The game engine had new features and grabbed my interest.

#End of incomplete timeline

I still got a few years to add to the timeline but this is where the project originated. Bailor was my first character created in my game. He was created back in 1997 and has been through all developments of LOE. Maximus is the second longest character created and is also the main hero to the game. Catherine comes next and is very close to Maximus. They were childhood friends.

Thanks again for the feedback, the physical world of Erthia has been around since 1997, but it wasn't until NEDANGO engine where I labeled the world Erthia. It started out as very simple game and now has evolved to a complex cross between Might and Magic IV and VII (LOE - Armageddon).

I will try and get this more structured and easier to understand and also grab some screenshots of the previous engines I used to develop this.

Basically, for LOE Armageddon I am using mostly graphics that I have obtained permission to use in this from Ubisoft, they saved me a lot of trouble! LOE - TEG is different, this is my ultima inspired version to the project. I purchased a few resource packs to get fantasy style graphics. I am using some of the faces from the resources I purchased in LOE - Armageddon as well.

Also, I am thinking of going back to all of the compositions I created for both games and sticking with directly GIO and GPO and taking out dimension and EWQLSO. I have to apply some dynamics. After, completing my first movement I can tell the difference in quality.

Thanks again for the feed back,

Richard

Go Back to forum