• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Golden Ears: Jazz quintet cue...guess the libraries

Share/Bookmark
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Golden Ears: Jazz quintet cue...guess the libraries

Hi-i-i-idy Ho!!!

To take our minds off clawing each other\'s eyes out, how about a guessing game?

This cue contains drums, congas, flugel, tenor, piano, and bass. I was envisioning a mid-70s CTI sound with a Fat Albert Rotunda twist.

Harlem

The funny thing is the way it was used in the show--it was a little one minute collage of Bill Clinton hanging out in the hood around his new digs (at the time) in Harlem.

Which instruments are samples, which are played live, and which samples are the samples?

Re: Golden Ears: Jazz quintet cue...guess the libraries

I love it!

Flugelhorn got to be real - for the rest I don\'t want to guess, but could the Bigga Gigga tenor sound that real?

Great fun. I may put in some more guesses when I had had the time listen more closely.

Hans

I would only commit to two impressions:

1.the drums don\'t sound real to me.

2.the bass is either real or Trilogy? That\'s the only bass program I\'ve heard as loose and round as that.

The flugel certainly sounds real (though that doesn\'t necessarily mean it is). The congas and piano are too submerged within the texture to be able to tell.

Lovely track - really nice feel.

OK it\'s not so easy because many of the instruments used here can be emulated very well with samples. Flugel is definitely real of course, The congas are real, the rest of the drums are sampled, the piano could be real or sampled... no idea. The sax... thats tough. I think it sounds too good to be VL1/70 but a little too \"unpersonal\" to be real. The very last note tells me it\'s fake though, so I\'ll go with that. I think the bass is sampled too.

Totally OT,
    I could kinda picture the peice. I just rode by Bill\'s place on 125th St and I could hear it. It\'s kinda windy and dank in NYC today.
    By the way, I have NEVER seen him or any secret service there.
    Cool piece man.

Well, I think they\'re all samples - including the horn. And if I\'m right, I\'ve got to say that you\'ve got a special talent for using that pitchbend wheel.

Jim

Bass is Larry Seyer I\'d guess...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

OK, so far you guys are onto the flugel. Yes, real. Simon, you\'re right about this being a \"not so easy\" track to guess the individual components.

I won\'t string it out too long, but will give people a chance to venture guesses a bit longer.

Like it, nice groove. Got that \"Joe Sample and the Soul Committee\" feel. Hey, Joe Sample! Get it?? \"Sample\"??? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Piano -- sounds sampled; sounds kinda wheezy in the midrange, though maybe that\'s just the mix or the mp3.

Bass -- like it, but I\'m leaning toward sampled; the sound itself is authentic, but the playing style makes me think it was done linearly on a keyboard (no offense to the musician!)

Drums -- can\'t tell, but I don\'t think it matters for the song [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ; sidestick sounds like a real snare (bit of natural drum reverberation and ever so much strainer buzz); I\'m going live with the drums

Conga -- sampled; I\'m betting Sonic Implants percussion; the recording is too clean relative to the drums, and presumably they\'re both recorded at the same location, same mics, etc.

Sax -- sampled; I like it, it\'s subtle, but it\'s also kinda 1-dimensional dynamically; couple of swells, but that\'s about it; then the end note doesn\'t convince me; could be an EQ problem, though.

Flugal -- that\'s gotsta be live; lotta dynamics there; and if it isn\'t live, please tell me who makes it so I can go buy it!

- Keith

Upright bass, Drums ,Piano COULD be samples..maybe the sax as well,since its doing a limited thing..Rich
    Nice Piece, Bruce ~loooose [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum