• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Overview-a Space music video

Share/Bookmark

Overview-a Space music video

OVERVIEW
    (please switch quality to full HD, and open to full screen)

A group called Planetary Collective has done an incredible job with their first video production, called "The Overview Effect." Combining NASA footage with interviews, the short film is a meditation on the overwhelming consciousness raising which has happened in the wake of mankind finally seeing Earth as a fragile bauble hanging in space. Earth is a small speck in the universe that we all share and have equal responsibility for, and seeing the planet from space makes that very clear.

I got permission from Planetary Collective to use clips from their longer film, since I only used public domain material originally from NASA. Being enthusiastic about their company's mission, the representative who communicated with me is looking forward to seeing what I came up with.

There's effective music in Planetary Collective's original "The Overview Effect," but I was so inspired from watching the film, I wanted to compose something myself to go with selected clips.

This is an all ARIA production. I would say "all Garritan," but one instrument is from the free collection of ARIA instruments available from Plogue on the same pages where they've made their free SFZ player, Sforzando available. Discussion and links can be found on this General Discussion thread:

Free Sforzando SFZ Player and Free sounds/instruments

For inquiring minds, here's the complete list of instruments I used:

Piccolo solo - GPO
    Piccolo group - COMB
    Flute solo - GPO
    Flute group - COMB
    Oboe 1 - GPO
    Oboe 2 - GPO
    Clarinet solo - GPO
    Clarinet group 1 - COMB
    Clarinet group 2 - COMB
    Bassoon 1 - GPO
    Bassoon 2 - GPO
    Trumpet 1 - JABB
    Trumpet group - COMB
    Trump attack - Instant Orchestra
    Horn solo - GPO
    Horn over - GPO
    Horn group - COMB
    Trombone solo - GPO
    Trombone section - GPO
    Wagner brass - IO
    Tuba - GPO
    Tuba group - COMB
    Huge brass - Free sounds from Plogue

(strings all from GPO)

Full strings
    Violin 2 solo
    Violins 1
    Violin 1 solo
    Violins 2
    Viola solo
    Violas
    Cello 1 solo
    Cellos
    Bass solo
    Basses

Harp - the new Garritan Harps Library
    Pipe Organ - Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
    Full choir - IO
    Orch gliss - IO
    Bowed vibes - IO
    Glass armonica - GPO
    Cymbals - IO
    Earth Cavern Percussion - IO
    Tympani - GPO
    Glock - GPO

Randy

Re: Overview-a Space music video

wow... this is remarkable, Randy.
    Now we get what that 40+ tracks project you said you were working on is all about.

I gave it a quick listen but this definitely deserves proper attention. Will dedicate to it more time an will come up with a better comment. But, for the moment, I wanted to let you know that I appreciated this so much. You must be very proud....

Fab

Hi Randy,

I'm quite impressed with the beauty of the film, but at least equally overwhelmed with the absolute splendour of your music. It fits so well to the pictures and sounds marvellous (which we actually know, since you are the absolute rendering master and a sublime composer). It simply takes my breath. I guess you enjoyed the creation of that score immensely. I'm sure NASA was very pleased with the result.
    The choice of instruments and the effects they produce are pure craftsmanship, no one could have done a better job here.

Thanks for sharing it!

Max

Besides the fact the clips are just great, your music fits the scenes so appropriately. I think you have put together a great interpretation of the visuals. In some spots where there was flashing imagery, you used some marvelous sound effects that reminded me of some of the great moments in popular sci fi movies. I am so impressed with your efforts here. You always amaze me. I can not believe that I am saying this, (since I usually favor minimal reverb on my projects) but I really believe this could be even more effective with a bigger room size. Just my humble opinion. This is another wonderful Bowser work. Thanks for the post. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    wow... this is remarkable, Randy.
    Now we get what that 40+ tracks project you said you were working on is all about.

I gave it a quick listen but this definitely deserves proper attention. Will dedicate to it more time an will come up with a better comment. But, for the moment, I wanted to let you know that I appreciated this so much. You must be very proud....

Fab
    Thanks, Fab! Yes, you're right - I recently made reference to a semi-large project of mine, and this would be it. Don't you just love it when you're seized with an idea and have to just power out on getting it realized? That's the way I was after discovering the Overview project--I just Had to compose music for it.

Since you enjoyed your short time with the video when you wrote this, I hope you soon get to watch the whole thing at your leisure, Fab. It's great to know I have you in the audience.

Randy

I've seen the video before, but, with your creative touch, it becomes spell-binding. Nice work, indeed!

Congrats Randy,

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Randy, does Sonar provide you with a video viewer for use in projects like this? Your timing is perfect!

I’m sure the people at Planetary Collective will be as happy as I to hear what you have done. I listened this morning at 1:00 through my headphones and was delighted by what, to my ear, seems to be a somewhat different tack for you. Your composition/orchestration is reminiscent of Janáček, without being derivative. I always find pleasure in hearing what the inner voices of a composition have to say and, thanks to your impeccable sequencing skills, I easily can. What fun!

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

It's great to know I have you in the audience.

Randy
    Why should this be great? I am just a jerk, I wish I had half of your compositional talent!

Anyway, I actually listened to this a tons of times, at the moment. I had also listened to it completely before my first comment, I only felt I needed to spend a little more time with it. Just because I felt good about it, I really liked this one.
    I think its originality resides in the fact that it feels like a proper orchestration that would sound glorious if performed, but still has quality reminding (quality) new age music. You get a hard time finding what could have inspired this one: Sounds minimalistic, at time, kind of Nyman's Gattaca score, but it is not purely minimalistic. Ultimately, what this work of yours recalls me more is Shearmur's soundtrack for K-Pax, That was way more "new age", but the changes of moods and pace do have something in common. (Also, there's a bit of Rodney's "Fanfares" in this, also because of the similarity in the videos ).

I particularly enjoyed what you did with winds and brass. I am basically talking about melody and harmony, which these two groups pretty much take full care of, and their general interaction. But even sound-wise your accomplishements are remarkable. The brasses sound beautiful. I know GPO brass, I do not know IO... but you mainly made me very curious to peek into those COMB sections, for both winds and brass. Sure the chemistry in your layerings shows the HUGE amount of experience you have with these libraries.
    There is not much sounding wrong in this and, above all, all parts seems to be there for a reason and are built with intelligence, musicianship and a great taste. The new harp sounds very nice... but, really, every little thing has its nice role, even the bowed vibes and the glockenspiel.
    This, once again, shows how eclectic you are as a musician. Musicals, ballads, cinematic renderings, folk/world tunes.... sci-fi orchestral atmospheres with this one.....

Plus... we all know about you mixing philosophy, you are always very detailed in describing it.... but I really do not get how can you make 40+ tracks play together and get this kind of clean and polished sound.

Big Kudos for everything, but in particular for the music itself: Powerful, evocative, inspirational, dreamy and very very well written.

Fab

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Randy,

I'm quite impressed with the beauty of the film, but at least equally overwhelmed with the absolute splendour of your music. It fits so well to the pictures and sounds marvellous (which we actually know, since you are the absolute rendering master and a sublime composer). It simply takes my breath. I guess you enjoyed the creation of that score immensely. I'm sure NASA was very pleased with the result.

The choice of instruments and the effects they produce are pure craftsmanship, no one could have done a better job here.

Thanks for sharing it!

Max
    My dear Max, yours is an almost overwhelming response. I can only humbly thank you very much for letting me know how much you appreciate this piece.

I doubt if anybody at NASA has seen this, but if they ever do, I can only hope they like it even just a little bit as much as you do. I do know that the man at Planetary Collective is enthusiastic.

I did have a wonderful time with this. It was one of those projects that emerged so quickly once the idea for it popped up. It felt so good in my soul to see that space footage over and over as I wrote music in response to it. I'm going to take up the idea the contact person at Planetary Collective suggested - He sent me the link to spectacular new time lapse space videos to work with. I want to compose more music in response to what he sent.

Thanks again, Max!

Randy

Randy,

An impressive and major addition to the video. I have been very impressed with the freedom NASA gives producers relative to using their material - much of which has never been seen publicly. I prepared music for a collage of NASA footage for our local school a couple of years ago. NASA is a true asset to the independent creative artist.

Clearly your musical addition to this footage will make them feel even more secure in dealing with the artistic community. Congratulations on a most excellent presentation.

Tom

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast