• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Notation in Digital Performer

Share/Bookmark

OT: Notation in Digital Performer

Hi everyone:

I\'ve been using quickscribe in Digital Performer to produce the score for an orchestral piece I need to have performed live and am having a little difficulty.

In particular, I am unable to get the staves and notes to appear a bit smaller in order to get more measures on each page.

In other words, is there any way to reduce the \"font size\" of the notes and the size of the staves. You can increase the density of the measures, but if the note size is too large it makes the page very cramped.

I know you can manipulate text. But how about the size of the notes on the page?

Any help would be much appreciated.

While I have you on the topic, are there other programs that can import MIDI directly from Digital Performer to produce the score?

Many thanks.

gspin

Re: OT: Notation in Digital Performer

I recommend \"Finale\" from Coda music. Their first priority is for making useful high qualtiy scores of just about any size desired.

Good Luck,
    Rick

Originally posted by RickD:
    I recommend \"Finale\" from Coda music. Their first priority is for making useful high qualtiy scores of just about any size desired.

Good Luck,
    Rick
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks for the suggestion, Rick. Do you know if it can import MIDI files from DP?

gspin

Originally posted by RickD:

Good Luck,
    Rick
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks for the suggestion, Rick. Do you know if it can import MIDI files from DP?

gspin

Sibelius is your other option. It imports MIDI. Version 3.0 just came out, and it\'s a very clean release. No need to wait for 3.01.

They have a demo on their website, www.sibelius.com . I believe that you can test its import capabilities and try messing with note-head sizes. (I own it, but have never tried that.) You just can\'t save your work, until you buy.

My read on Sibelius vs. Finale is that Sibelius is much quicker for note entry, and is easier to master. On the other hand, Finale is a bit more powerful at the outer edges of notation, but it can be confusing to use.

Personally, Sibelius can do everything that I need and about ten thousand percent more notation-wise. But it\'s not a full bore sequencer. I\'m hoping that 4.0 will change that :-)

Both of these products can be used to create world-class scores.

It looks like the easiest way to change the amount of music on the score in Sibelius 3.0 is to adjust the page size. You can do this to standard sized (letter, legal, tabloid...), or set a custom size. (See Layout|Document Setup in the demo.) You can then set the print dialog to scale the printout however you want, or you can click \"fit to paper\".

This technique scales the whole works. It\'s probably a lot better than trying to set a bunch of font sizes. Sibelius also lets you adjust the staff size, page margins and staff margins with full independence.

Originally posted by gspin:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by RickD:

Good Luck,
    Rick

gspin
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, Finale can import any midi file, you only have to choose \"Save As\" in D,P. to a midi file, then open the file in Finale.

Rick

I\'ve been using finale for a long time and I would definitely recommend it for notation. However, depending on the complexity of your score, you will need to be prepared to do a lot of editing to it once you bring the midi file into finale. You may have rythms that show up incorrectly, or extra notes, or notes on the wrong part, etc.

I really don\'t know if sibelius is better at midi import, but I would be very curious to find out.

Sibelius is pretty good at MIDI import, but it can also take things too literally. It will import the MIDI as it is, rather than how you wish it were.

The main weird part about Sibelius\' import is that it takes in all of the linear controls (mod wheel and such) and puts a series of gray text to show all of the events. It ends up like a gray smear. You can turn it off, so it doesn\'t show on the monitor, and by default it doesn\'t show on the prints. It\'s a good thing for single events like patch changes, but is fairly useless for editing moving fader values. I hope that changes in 4.0.

The best way to see what happens is to load the demo and try the import. Just remember, \"you cannot see beyond the choices that you do not understand\" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I will try and compare Sibelius and Finale for future use.

(For now I\'ve had to slog it out (and I mean slog) with Digital Performer: I thought I\'d never get through it, but I finally have (phew!) with barely a month to spare...)

I am told Sibelius has pretty detailed import options and that you can avoid some of its \"over-precision\" by quantizing attacks and releases in your MIDI track. Is that true?
    I guess you\'ve got to basically know what you are doing 100% of the time (which is not always the case here....)

cheers again

gspin

Go Back to forum