• Register
  • Help

Topic: Live Radio Broadcast: The Dirac Sea MM III and MM IV

Share/Bookmark

Live Radio Broadcast: The Dirac Sea MM III and MM IV

Here is the live radio broadcast (well its recorded now) of the WCLV braodcast of my last to movements of the the Dirac Sea as they performed it live on air in Cleveland.

The Dirac Sea

Enjoy,

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Live Radio Broadcast: The Dirac Sea MM III and MM IV

Fantastic, Bill - I sat and listened, totally absorbed, just taken away by the musicianship and your intricate piece. How about that tiny radio studio ambiance?-- I like it, something to emulate for small ensemble virtual renderings.

And what a great surprise - I know you have the concert coming up that you'll probably get the recording of, but I didn't realize you'd be getting the radio broadcast too.

You gotta be thrilled with this. I sure am.

Randy

Congratulations, Bill.
    What a composition, what a performance.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Randy - I was thrilled for the air time, but I didn't know it was coming. A friend who works as one of the two announcers on WCLV called me when he realized it was a piece by me. He was the engineer in the studio at the time and was unaware of what was on the program until the last minute. Gladly I was near a radio.

The performers are the faculty of Akron University. They are very accomplished on their instruments. I have not met them personally yet, but will this Sunday when they play all 4 movements of my work. The work, by the way, was composed last fall when I found out about the call for scores. The pieces were selected from composers of the guild in a anonymous submission. Five pieces from the guilds 30 plus membership were selected. I can't wait to be there for the live performance.

Fabio - Thanks for the listen. I will have the other two movements in about a month (production time delay.)

Thanks and best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Music is communication: the ultimate dream of every composer is to be performed live (by real musicians) and to deliver a message to an audience. You are very lucky to have such wonderful opportunities. Enjoy them, it's only and solely due to your efforts and your wonderful, thrilling music. Congratulations for that!

Randy mentioned the tiny studio ambiance. I love it, but it has certain dangers: even in bigger ensembles, musicians can't hide themselves in a sea of sound, they are so to say 'naked' with their instrument. Every small inconsistency and detail will be heard, intonation is very important in such an environment. I did a lot of radio recordings in such 'dry' studios with my chamber orchestra and I always found it very tiresome and stressing. So a big round of applause for the musicians too!

Max

Hello Max,

Yes, to be performed live is wonderful. And to have the performers see what you intend, and you have a chance to hear it, heaven!

The studio they recorded in is in a Cleveland Tower, small, but adequate. And, it does expose the player (naked) as you say. These are faculty. I would expect no less from a teaching faculty for my young. They do themselves proud.

Thanks for the listen. I will post all movements when they are available.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum