PDA

View Full Version : Re-installation?

JackOats
02-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Hi All - Recently I had my local 'tech expert' install a new HD for me.
When I got it home, a couple of days later, GPO4 (which I bought as a download in July last) was not accessible in the VSTi library of REAPER.
A whole load of other instruments were also missing - but, to be fair, the guy did warn me that this would happen.
Any downloaded app can not be copied across from the old HD to the new, I was told.
I still seem to have ARIA, and the registration card (png image) & the Garritan file folder in Program files (1.97 Gb) but I'm not sure how to get the whole thing up & running again & working in REAPER.
I would be most grateful if anyone could give me an idea as to what to do.

rbowser-
02-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Hi All - Recently I had my local 'tech expert' install a new HD for me.
When I got it home, a couple of days later, GPO4 (which I bought as a download in July last) was not accessible in the VSTi library of REAPER.
A whole load of other instruments were also missing - but, to be fair, the guy did warn me that this would happen.
Any downloaded app can not be copied across from the old HD to the new, I was told.
I still seem to have ARIA, and the registration card (png image) & the Garritan file folder in Program files (1.97 Gb) but I'm not sure how to get the whole thing up & running again & working in REAPER.
I would be most grateful if anyone could give me an idea as to what to do.
Try opening ARIA on your desktop in stand-alone mode, and then drag the png card into it.

Randy

JackOats
02-18-2013, 05:18 PM
Hi Randy - Thanks very much for that. I tried as you suggested (not sure how to open in Standalone mode) but I get the following message:

ARIA ENGINE INSTALLATION
This card doesn't belong to any
installed product:Garritan:
Personal Orchestra.4

rbowser-
02-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Hi Randy - Thanks very much for that. I tried as you suggested (not sure how to open in Standalone mode) but I get the following message:

ARIA ENGINE INSTALLATION
This card doesn't belong to any
installed product:Garritan:
Personal Orchestra.
Jack, if you don't know about stand-alone mode, where you are getting this message, since you said you can't open ARIA in Reaper?

When GPO/ARIA is installed, there's a desk top icon you click to open ARIA independently of a host program like DAW software.

You did re-install GPO didn't you? You have a new hard drive, it's starting over with any program you have.

Randy

JackOats
02-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Randy - I am 65 years old. I only started working in this medium in July. In my few posts so far, I have never claimed to be any kind of an expert in this field. Just the opposite in fact, as must be patently obvious. I'm courteously (I hope) asking anyone for a little guidance in understanding all this stuff which is new to me.

Jack, if you don't know about stand-alone mode, where you are getting this message, since you said you can't open ARIA in Reaper?

I'm sorry - I really don't understand this question.

I believe I'm trying to put all the pieces back together again & get GPO4 & ARIA working in my DAW so I can get back to realising my music.

When GPO/ARIA is installed, there's a desk top icon you click to open ARIA independently of a host program like DAW software.

I have opened ARIA via my desktop icon. I dragged the .png image onto the GUI & sent you the message which came up.

You did re-install GPO didn't you? You have a new hard drive, it's starting over with any program you have.

I don't think I said I'd reinstalled GPO4. That's part of what I'm trying to do.

I just need a little help in understanding what is going on & what I need to do to get back to a normal working situation.

rbowser-
02-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Hello again, Jack - Please don't interpret the brevity of my replies as impatience. I'm a multi-tasking fool this afternoon, was needing to be short and to the point.

So, guidance is exactly what I'm trying to give you. Let me go through your new post and insert replies:

...I have opened ARIA via my desktop icon. I dragged the .png image onto the GUI & sent you the message which came up....
OK, that's the "stand alone" version of ARIA, called that because you're opening it directly and you can play it right there on your desktop without having to open up a recording program. Usually, ARIA is opened up in notation or DAW software (Digital Audio Workstation)-like Sonar, Cubase et al. In those cases, the program you're recording in is the host for ARIA.

...I don't think I said I'd reinstalled GPO4. That's part of what I'm trying to do...
Right, and that's why dragging the card on to ARIA isn't working. GPO hasn't actually been installed on your computer. Now that you have a new hard drive, it's like having a whole new machine. The registry entries don't exist - What you have of GPO and ARIA are now just foreign objects to the computer's system.

Hopefully you've kept the downloaded installer for GPO. You need to re-install it on your new hard drive so it can take up residence there. If you didn't keep the download you bought, then arrangemets will have to be made with the Make Music staff. They'll help you out, but that will just take longer.

Look for the original download you bought. If you find it - run it again to install GPO and ARIA, and let everything be installed at the default locations. Then your key card will work when you drag it.

And of course let us know about your progress.

Randy

JackOats
02-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Hopefully you've kept the downloaded installer for GPO. You need to re-install it on your new hard drive so it can take up residence there.

I have looked for the GPO setup Wizard but with no results. It could be here somewhere but if it is I haven't been able to find it so far.
I may have only saved it as an email - & all my saved mail was recently wiped accidentally by an employee of British Telecom. I know, I know , I should have been more professional & kept a copy of the details. I am learning!

I guess I need to contact the Make Music people for help.

Thanks for your help Randy. Will update you when I resolve this situation & get back to some kind of normality.

gogreen1
02-18-2013, 08:57 PM
JackOats: Have you tried here:

http://makemusic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5381/session/L3RpbWUvMTM2MTEwODI3MS9zaWQvSzVPY3U0amw%3D

If this particular article isn't helpful, that KnowledgeBase can be a terrific resource. If you can't find it there, then, yes, contact MM.

rbowser-
02-18-2013, 09:06 PM
I have looked for the GPO setup Wizard but with no results. It could be here somewhere but if it is I haven't been able to find it so far.
I may have only saved it as an email - & all my saved mail was recently wiped accidentally by an employee of British Telecom. I know, I know , I should have been more professional & kept a copy of the details. I am learning!

I guess I need to contact the Make Music people for help.

Thanks for your help Randy. Will update you when I resolve this situation & get back to some kind of normality.
The original installers often get misplaced, you're not alone. Try clicking Start at the lower left of your monitor, and in the browser type "WIN_Garritan_Personal_Orchesetra_4.04.exe." If it's on your machine, the browser will find it. Oh - I've been assuming your on Windows. The OTher version, --hehe -however you find files on a Mac, is "MAC_Garritan_Personal_Orchestra_4.04.pkg."

Randy

Michael_uk
02-19-2013, 05:24 AM
Hello Jack,

You mention British Telecom so you have to be in the UK. :)

I've often replaced my hard drive followed by a full reinstall. In fact I'm looking to fit a hard drive within the next few months or so.

I was just wondering how you got your programs and files back onto your new drive. Did your 'Techie' make a copy of your old drive then restored this onto your new drive or did he have your install disks/files or some other arrangement?

When fitting a completely new drive, my own approach and preference is to do a complete, fresh, clean install of all my programs. I do keep complete backups of my system and update these frequently but I would still prefer the 'clean', full reinstall approach. It's just my own preference. My up-to-date backups are there 'just in case' and to lessen the unthinkable of losing my programs and files.

I realise that my approach might take longer and might not be to everyone's palate but this way I avoid the kind of problems you describe. I also understand that, perhaps, some folk may not feel entirely comfortable installing their own programs.

What I'm leading up to is this. My approach to the problem you describe would be to uninstall everything Garritan, and, probably Reaper too followed by a good clean out of the system (using a good system cleaner). I would then do a clean reinstall of Reaper followed by a clean install of Garritan.

You mention losing your Garritan emails (good ol' British Telecom) and if you don't have your Garritan Install files that should be no problem. Just log into your Garritan account and you can re-download your libraries.

I hope I have helped in some way and in the meantime it will be interesting to see what Make Music suggest.

Good luck and when everything there is hunky-dory do call in and ask for any further help or advice or just to join in a discussion. :)

JackOats
02-19-2013, 06:33 AM
Hi - Michael. Thanks very much for the helpful message. Lots of points arise that I would like to cover - but 'Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans' (apologies to John Lennon). I have got to dash to the A & E dept, Moorfields Eye Hospital, London. Hopefully not too serious but may be a detached retina situation developing. Will respond as soon as I get back. Thanks.

rbowser-
02-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Jack! I wish you the best with your medical issue. Life does indeed harshly intrude at times. I trust you'll be back in your home studio again soon, getting your new hard drive straightened out so you can go back to writing music.

...uninstall everything Garritan, and, probably Reaper too followed by a good clean out of the system (using a good system cleaner). I would then do a clean reinstall of Reaper followed by a clean install of Garritan.

...if you don't have your Garritan Install files that should be no problem. Just log into your Garritan account and you can re-download your libraries...

Spot on, Michael (you Brits really do say "spot on" don't you? Or is that an American misconception?) An uninstall is in order before the re-install. I don't know why the tech would have plopped program files on to the new drive when he knows they wouldn't work. That's odd.

AND, good heavens, you're absolutely right, about how easy it should be for Jack to download GPO again. It's been so many years, I'd let it slip my mind - We have accounts, and our purchases are available there for re-downloading if needs be. That's it - that's the simple fix, no MakeMusic Support ticket needed.

This is a sterling example of this Forum in action. We help each other out. I posted only part of what Jack needed to hear, and then you came through with the best advice, The Solution, in fact. Thanks, Michael!

Randy

Michael_uk
02-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Hi - Michael. Thanks very much for the helpful message. Lots of points arise that I would like to cover - but 'Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans' (apologies to John Lennon). I have got to dash to the A & E dept, Moorfields Eye Hospital, London. Hopefully not too serious but may be a detached retina situation developing. Will respond as soon as I get back. Thanks.

Hello Jack,

Really sorry to hear about your eys.

Please prioritise your eye-care and don't worry at all about your computer/Garritan issues. Between us we'll resolve your hard drive problems and you'll soon be up and running with that.

I'm sure Moorfields will sort things out there and there's no rush to respond here, whenever you're ready so take it easy. :D

Good luck.

Michael_uk
02-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Hello Randy,

..... Spot on, Michael (you Brits really do say "spot on" don't you? Or is that an American misconception?) .....
Randy

Actually, I do say 'Spot on' .. Hee heee. ;)

I just also realised that, in my earlier post I said 'hunky dory' and that is an American saying I believe.

So you used a British saying and I used an American saying .. LOL ~|

JackOats
02-20-2013, 07:22 AM
Hi Randy & Michael,
Medical condition ongoing! Thanks very much for your kind words.

Well, I managed to reinstall GPO4 & authenticate with the keycard (thanks Michael for suggesting how to do that). Saved it to vstplugin folder. 'Told' REAPER where to look. But when I click to install a GPO instrument on a track I get this message:

The following effect plug-in could not be loaded
VSTi: ARIA Player
(Multi)(Garritan)(32 out)
(effect configuration is preserved)

I guess it must be something I haven't done?

rbowser-
02-20-2013, 10:22 AM
...when I click to install a GPO instrument on a track I get this message:

The following effect plug-in could not be loaded
VSTi: ARIA Player
Hi, Jack - Some success, some failure--Hmm. You've reinstalled and successfully activated ARIA with the card. You've placed the .dll file in your VST folder -

Ah, wait--You said "Saved it to VST folder." That could mean you had the VST .dll file saved there, that's probably what happened, but want to make sure.

But then next, Reaper can't load ARIA. Sounds like it found it, since it called ARIA by name.

In your first post, you said Garritan was in your Program Files. If you meant that literally, then you have a 64 bit machine. When ARIA is installed, there are both 32 and 64 bit versions. In the VST folder that your Reaper reads, you need to make sure only the proper .dll file is there - the 64 bit version in your Program Files and the 32 bit version in your Program Files (x86) - in case you ever use a 32 bit music program. -- I guess Reaper is in 64 bits now? In any case, make sure those ARIA files are in the proper places, and with nothing else - Not the entire ARIA download should be in your VST folder(s)--just the .dll file for the VST version(s) of ARIA.

Randy

Michael_uk
02-21-2013, 03:53 AM
Hello Jack,

Great that you've made progress there. I can only expand on what Randy has posted.

As Randy says, the problem now has to be with the location of one of the Garritan .dll files so you just need to find the missing dll file then copy and paste it into the VST folder Reaper uses.

I tried a search for Reaper and read that Reaper does not actually have a default VST folder. It seems that you have to either point Reaper to an existing VST folder that was created when installing Garritan or create your own VST folder then copy all your dll files into that folder and point Reaper to that instead.

Randy's explanation of the 32 Bit and 64 Bit options is critical. Is your install of Reaper 32 Bit or 64 Bit? If you have a 64 Bit system then you will have two sets of Program Files. On a 64 Bit Windows PC the default Program Files paths are:

32 Bit: C:\Program Files (x86)
64 Bit: C:\Program Files

If you have a 32 Bit system then the default Program Files path is just: C:\Program Files

If you have installed Reaper 64 Bit, then, obviously, Reaper will be installed to the 64 Bit path above. On a 64 Bit system some programs install both 32 Bit and 64 Bit versions including Garritan. If you look into the Garritan VST folder you should find 4 Garritan VST dll files.

On my computer the path for the Garritan VST files is: C:\vstplugins

ARIA Player Multi VST_x64.dll
ARIA Player Multi VST_x86.dll
ARIA Player VST_x64.dll
ARIA Player VST_x86.dll

So, hopefully, all that needs to be done is to copy the missing 32 Bit (x86) or 64 Bit file into the VST folder Reaper is using.

This should do the trick and you should be in full steam. Please let us know if it all works there.

Good luck.

JackOats
02-21-2013, 05:45 AM
Hi Michael - Thanks for the post.

As Randy says, the problem now has to be with the location of one of the Garritan .dll files so you just need to find the missing dll file then copy and paste it into the VST folder Reaper uses.

Well, I did as Randy suggested - made sure the .dll file was in the vstplugins folder (yes, you're right. As I remember I did have to create this folder earlier on). Also put the rest of the Garritan files into Program Files & YIPPEE it all came together last night & I got sounds back on my music files.

But there always seems to be a BUT... when REAPER is loading up a file I am working on I get this message:

ARIA ENGINE
Could not find effect:com.Garritan.Ambience bank:-1
there surely exists an update for this product!

No kidding - that's the message verbatim.

Had a look on ARIA effects page & played a track & it didn't seem to respond to changing settings (cathedral/folk club/ballroom etc).

Randy's explanation of the 32 Bit and 64 Bit options is critical. Is your install of Reaper 32 Bit or 64 Bit? :

I have REAPER 32 Bit.

Michael_uk
02-21-2013, 07:38 AM
Hello Jack,

It's good to read that things aere progressing there. Your latest message is no problem. We just need to update your ARIA Player for you to be able to use the Garritan Ambience by the sounds of it. :D

You need to do two things to fully update your ARIA.

(1) First go to your Garritan Account and login at:

https://www.finalemusic.com/MyAccount/Login.aspx?g=1

When in your account click on the 'Downloads' tab and select 'Product Updates'. Fill in the fields as follows - I presume you're using Windows:

Product: Garritan Version: Any Version Platform: Windows Category: Update Name: (You can leave blank)

Click on the 'Search' button and you should then see the available ARIA updates. The latest is Aria 1.5 so download and install that (no need to uninstall previous version).

(2) Next, check for the latest Aria Engine update at:

http://ariaengine.com/support/aria-engine-update/

Around the third paragraph down you should that see there is an ARIA Engine 1.626 update. Just download and install this.

That's it, you should now have the latest Aria Player and everything should take care of that Reaper message. You should now play along happily with Garritan in Reaper. *()

Good luck.

JackOats
02-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Hi Michael - Thanks very much for the very helpful message.

I visited my account page & found all you mentioned. I selected ARIA player 1.128. I have tried version 1.5 but I didn't like the updated appearance & the very serious, spooky colour scheme - I much prefer the 1.11 version.

Anyway I seemed to have problems downloading that version but eventually managed it. Then I downloaded the latest engine version - v1.626 (which arrived as v1.625). Tried redownloading again today & get a message saying it is already downloaded. Have triple checked in Program files (where I was careful to put it) but cannot find it. Have also done a Start search & come up with nothing.

Have checked the Settings page on the ARIA GUI & the version is now : Player v1.128
Engine: v1.625 (Winx68)
& I am still getting the message about no Ambience settings.

Sorry to bother you with all of this but I am very grateful for your help & advice.

Michael_uk
02-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Hello Jack,

It's no bother at all, we're happy to help. :)

Important Edit: I've just twigged .. did you remember to delete that old dll file from your VST folder and replace it with the new dll file. If you did .. then read on.

I was just wondering if it is possible that you have more than one Aria installed; the earlier version and the version you just installed (1.128) and that Reaper is referencing the earlier version. Unlikely but possible.

The other thing is that although you are not keen on the latest 1.5 Aria, somehow this is the one Reaper wants/needs.

I'm also puzzled that you could only download Aria once.

My only suggestion now is to uninstall Aria (not the full Garritan library, just the Aria Player). Thouroughly clean out your system with a good system cleaner then install the latest Aria version and latest engine.

My suggestion would be the following sequence:

(1) First create a new folder on your Desktop and name it 'Aria Player Updates' or simuilar.

(2) Next download the latest version of Aria (1.5) to that folder on your Desktop. I realise you are not too keen on this version but it might resolve that message. Just try it to see if it does resolve it. If you really do dislike it that much you can always uninstall it and reinstall the one you prefer later.

(3) Download the latest Aria engine to that same folder. You should be able to download it again.

(4) Now uninstall Aria. Just go into your Start Menu/Programs and you should see a folder named: Garritan Aria Player. There is an uninstall in that folder. After uninstalling from here, check your 'Control Panel\Programs' to make sure there are no further instances of Aria to remove.

(5) Next, and this is important, thouroughly clean out your system with a good system cleaner.

(6) At this point I would shutdown the computer then reboot.

(7) Now install that new download of the latest verion of Aria in your Desktop folder.

(8) Finally, install that new download of the latest Aria engine.

(9) Shutdown again and reboot. This shouldn't strictly be necessary but it might be a good idea.

As far as I can see this really should now work fully.

rbowser-
02-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Jack, I'm rather sure the mis-match between the new ARIA Engine and the old ARIA Player doesn't work. You need to have them both at the currently available updates.

Randy

Michael_uk
02-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Jack, I'm rather sure the mis-match between the new ARIA Engine and the old ARIA Player doesn't work. You need to have them both at the currently available updates.

Randy

Excellent post Randy. That has to be it.

JackOats
02-22-2013, 06:38 PM
Hi Michael & Randy. Again thanks very much for your detailed & very helpful posts.
But I fear I am nowhere near a solution at the moment. I have been on this problem for hours now & am getting pretty down about the whole thing.

Important Edit: I've just twigged .. did you remember to delete that old dll file from your VST folder and replace it with the new dll file.

After your post #21 Michael, I thought this might be the case so I did as you said:

(1) First create a new folder on your Desktop and name it 'Aria Player Updates' or simuilar.

(2) Next download the latest version of Aria (1.5) to that folder on your Desktop. I realise you are not too keen on this version but it might resolve that message. Just try it to see if it does resolve it. If you really do dislike it that much you can always uninstall it and reinstall the one you prefer later.

(3) Download the latest Aria engine to that same folder. You should be able to download it again.

Then I searched all over & deleted several old ARIA Players. (They are still in my Recycle Bin).

Now, when I load up a music file in REAPER I get this message:

Garritan ARIA Player
Can't find install directory,
please reinstall.

Think I'm gonna give up for today & get to bed.
Maybe tomorrow I'll have better luck!

Thanks again both for all your help.

Michael_uk
02-23-2013, 05:29 AM
Hello Jack,

I can understand the frustrations but you will resolve this.

Forgive me for double checking but did you actually install that new download? It just sounds as if the Aria Player is not installed at all now.

From your last post it sounds as if you've managed to download the latest Aria Player and engine and you have uninstalled the previous player.

All that should be needed now is to install that new player and engine from your new download then replace the dll files in the Reaper VST folder with the new dll files.

Here's hoping.

JackOats
02-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Forgive me for double checking but did you actually install that new download? It just sounds as if the Aria Player is not installed at all now.

Thanks Michael - Spot on, of course.

Woke up this morning with just that realisation - that I had deleted all instances of ARIA Player so of course there would be nothing for REAPER to find. How stupid of me - but I got so involved yesterday I suppose I couldn't 'see the wood for the trees'.

Will have another try shortly but could I just ask - I have just found several other instances of ARIA Player. These contain GUI, RTAS, Scales & VST folders & also other files such as:
ARIA Player license,
ARIA setup,
gap, l
ibsndfile_x86, p
ortaudio_x86, u
nins000.dat & unins000.

Should I delete these. Will the new ARIA Player & Engine downloads contain all this info anew?

My only suggestion now is to uninstall Aria (not the full Garritan library, just the Aria Player).

I don't want to delete data which is needed & which may take me another aeon to re-establish!

I must apologise - this is turning into something of a saga.

Michael_uk
02-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Hello again Jack,

It's ok to clean out those Aria Player files. Installing a completely new, updated Aria Player will install fresh and appropriate folders and files.

In fact, from what you say, it seems that you did have multiple Aria Players on your system which I did hint at in my post 21. This could lead to potential issues.

You will also need to replace the Aria dll file in your Reaper folder so clean that folder out as well.

When you have completed your clean-out, go ahead and install that new latest version (1.5) then the latest Aria Engine update (1.626 or 1.625) you downloaded last night.

After installing that new version, don't forget to copy and paste the two new Aria dll files (ARIA Player Multi VST and ARIA Player VST) into your Reaper VST folder.

When you have managed to complete one install of the latest Aria Player with the latest engine on your system and added both the appropriate Aria Player dll files into your Reaper VST folder, I am confident that you will have resolved the problem.

Good luck.

rbowser-
02-23-2013, 11:50 AM
...After installing that new version, don't forget to copy and paste the two new Aria dll files (ARIA Player Multi VST and ARIA Player VST) into your Reaper VST folder...
This is quite a continuing drama - Michael's giving you expert advice, Jack. Getting rid of all old ARIA files and doing a fresh install of the latest Player and Engine will fix you up.

I pulled out that quote to point out that during installation, in one of the pop-up windows before the actual install runs, it asks where you would like the VST .dll files to be installed. Direct it to your VST folder, and then no copying and pasting is needed. Something nice, also, is that once you've done that, during all future updates or installs of new Garritan instruments, that path will now already be correctly selected for installations.

Randy

JackOats
02-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Randy & Michael,

Hi Guys

This is quite a continuing drama - Michael's giving you expert advice, Jack.

I am very conscious that I am taking up an inordinate amount of your time(s) & I do apologise to you both. As usual, you have been very generous with your help & advice but I still can't get REAPER to recognise the ARIA player.

Getting rid of all old ARIA files and doing a fresh install of the latest Player and Engine will fix you up.

After following the guidelines in your last couple of posts I tried everything but still with no luck. So this morning I set to & deleted everything ARIA Player I could find. I even managed to delete a couple of earlier instances that Windows said I couldn't delete. Then I hit 'Start/Search - search everywhere' to make sure I'd deleted every ARIA player instance.

Then I also cancelled the new ARIA Player 1.504 & the latest ARIA engine update v1.626 that I'd downloaded on Friday night. So complete new sheet.
Turned off computer - went away for an hour.

Then I repeated the downloads of the new stuff.

I pulled out that quote to point out that during installation, in one of the pop-up windows before the actual install runs, it asks where you would like the VST .dll files to be installed. Direct it to your VST folder, and then no copying and pasting is needed.

Thanks Randy - I let the download Wizard place the elements where it suggested - as follows:

Destination Locations:
C:\Program Files\Garritan\ARIA Player
C:\Program Files\Plogue\ARIA plugins
C:\Program Files\Garritan\ARIA Player\VST
C:\Program Files\Garritan\ARIA Player\RTAS
C:\Program Files\vstplugins my quote (aria_x86 DLL file)
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Plug-ins

But when I load up a REAPER music file GPO4 is missing from the library & I get this message:

Project Load Warning
The following effects were in the project file
and are not available. REAPER will keep their
configuration but things may not sound as desired.

I hate to take up more of your time - I know you must be very busy helping the rest of the Garritan world, but if you can spot what I am missing I'd be eternally grateful - & very relieved!

Thanks a lot Guys.

Michael_uk
02-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Hello Jack,

Please don't worry, we're keen to help.

Would you check five things for me and report back?

(1) Please go to: C:\Program Files\Garritan and in that folder please double check that 'Personal Orchestra 4' is actually there.

(2) If that folder is there, please open that folder and check that it is fully populated. I have 11 items in mine. If that is OK, then we're doin' good.

(3) Next, open the Aria Player standalone. There should be a 'Garritan Aria Player' folder in your 'Start Menu/Programs' and you should be able to open the Standalone from there.

(4) If the Aria Standalone Player opens, please try loading some GPO4 instruments.

(5) If everything so far is working, please double check that Reaper really is pointing to that VST folder.

Let us know if everything here is OK.

See you soon. :)

JackOats
02-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Micheal, Thank you. You are really living up to your motto.

Just cooking some vittals. Will reply asap.

rbowser-
02-25-2013, 02:46 PM
...Thanks Randy - I let the download Wizard place the elements where it suggested - as follows:

Destination Locations:
C:\Program Files\Garritan\ARIA Player
C:\Program Files\Plogue\ARIA plugins
C:\Program Files\Garritan\ARIA Player\VST
C:\Program Files\Garritan\ARIA Player\RTAS
C:\Program Files\vstplugins my quote (aria_x86 DLL file)
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Plug-ins

But when I load up a REAPER music file GPO4 is missing...
Because you didn't instruct the installer to place the VST .dll file in Reaper's VST folder. As Michael said in his newest post, Reaper has to "point" to where it expects to find the .dll file. So, do as he suggested earlier - copy and paste those VST .dlls into the right Reaper VST folder.

Randy

JackOats
02-25-2013, 03:06 PM
(1) Please go to: C:\Program Files\Garritan and in that folder please double check that 'Personal Orchestra 4' is actually there.

O.K. Yes , it's there. 7 Folders & 4 files.

3) Next, open the Aria Player standalone. There should be a 'Garritan Aria Player' folder in your 'Start Menu/Programs' and you should be able to open the Standalone from there.

Well, there are 2 ARIA Player files. Setup & Zip.

rbowser-
02-25-2013, 03:29 PM
...Well, there are 2 ARIA Player files. Setup & Zip.
Jack, you've already set up ARIA, so you don't want "Setup"-- or the unpacked Zip file. You need to open the ARIA stand-alone version to do what Michael's talking about. A desktop icon should have been placed for you to access the stand alone. If you don't see it, go to Program Files>Garritan>ARIA Player, and click the "ARIA Player.exe" file.

Randy

Michael_uk
02-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Hello Jack,

If GPO4 is working in the Standalone, then as I mentioned in Point 5 and as Randy posted, it seems that you may have forgottten to double check that Reaper is pointing to that VST folder.

Lert's hope that's it.

JackOats
02-25-2013, 04:32 PM
O.K. Thanks. Found the desktop icon. On doubleclicking I get:

'Cannot find ARIA engine component, please reinstall'

Michael_uk
02-25-2013, 05:11 PM
OK Jack so, for your latest situation and that message, therein lies the problem. Aria is not installed there.

You've confirmed that GPO4 is installed from the checklist I posted.

Try installing that latest version of Aria you downloaded earlier, (the 1.5 update), then install that 1.26 engine update.

When you have installed that you will then be at Numbers (3) and (4) of my check list.

(Here is my Check List updated)

(1) Please go to: C:\Program Files\Garritan and in that folder please double check that 'Personal Orchestra 4' is actually there. (Checked - OK)

(2) If that folder is there, please open that folder and check that it is fully populated. I have 11 items in mine. If that is OK, then we're doin' good. (Checked - OK)

(3) Next, open the Aria Player standalone. There should be a 'Garritan Aria Player' folder in your 'Start Menu/Programs' and you should be able to open the Standalone from there.

(4) If the Aria Standalone Player opens, please try loading some GPO4 instruments.

(5) If everything so far is working, please double check that Reaper really is pointing to that VST folder.

We'll get there, stay with it. :)

JackOats
02-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Try installing that latest version of Aria you downloaded earlier, (the 1.5 update), then install that 1.26 engine update.

Sorry, Michael. I thought I'd done all I needed to do earlier. So now I'm not sure what I do to 'install' these components.

You don't mean go back to my account at Finale & download again do you?
Sorry to be so dumb. I've spent so much time over the past few days, clicking around to fix this, that I've got kind of snow blind - don't know what I've done or what to do next!

rbowser-
02-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Jack, have you contacted Support at Make Music? It would appear everything is hopelessly balled up on your computer at this point, and I don't anticipate Michael, me, or any of the other Garritan users here being able to help more than we've already tried to do. I think you understand we're not staff people - we're just users with more experience.

But when things become so seemingly impossible to fix, it's time to let the experts straighten things out. Please go to the MM site and fill out the info, briefly explaining that you simply can't get ARIA installed correctly. I'm sure they'll be able to fix things for you.

Randy

Michael_uk
02-26-2013, 03:57 AM
Hello Jack,

..... You don't mean go back to my account at Finale & download again do you?

If you still have your last download then don't need to go back to your account.

The Aria download is in a zip file. Double click on the zip file to open it and you should see 'Garritan_ARIA_Player_1.504_WIN.exe'

To install this just double click on the file then wait a while and the installer should eventually start. Follow on-screen directions to install Aria.

Alternatively, when you open the Zip folder, you should have an option to 'extract' the 'Garritan_ARIA_Player_1.504_WIN.exe' to a location on your system. You can then double click on this file to install.

You can check to see if Aria is on your system. Go to 'C:\Program Files\Garritan' and there should be an Aria folder there full of files and folders.

If you have already done the above then, as Randy says, there is some technical glitch there.

If you hadn't followed the install procedure then doing this now should set you up and Aria 1.5 should be installed. You can then go back to my check list and try (3) (4) and (5).

Good luck.

JackOats
02-26-2013, 04:31 AM
Hi Michael & Randy - I do remember that I had trouble opening up that zip file yesterday. Anyway I just did a search for

'Garritan_ARIA_Player_1.504_WIN.exe'

& it cannot be found. So I guess I need to contact support at Make Music & see if there is a known problem.

So many, many thanks Guys - & relax.

I will let you know how things develop.

rbowser-
02-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Hi Michael & Randy - I do remember that I had trouble opening up that zip file yesterday. Anyway I just did a search for

'Garritan_ARIA_Player_1.504_WIN.exe'

& it cannot be found. So I guess I need to contact support at Make Music & see if there is a known problem.

So many, many thanks Guys - & relax.

I will let you know how things develop.
On my computer, the file is called "WIN_ARIA_Player_1.504.exe" - so you may want to look for that. But contacting Make Music support does need to be your next move if you can't find the file and re-install. There's not a "known problem" with ARIA, since it's working for most people, but at this point, we can see there's a known problem on your computer. I'm hoping the official Support people will be able to straighten it all out for you.

Randy

Michael_uk
02-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Hello Jack,

That file, 'Garritan_ARIA_Player_1.504_WIN.exe' is in the Zip folder you downloaded recently.

I found this video on how to extract zip files using Windows 7. Although there are several free and paid-for Zip management programs (I use WinRAR), Windows 7 already does have one built in. This brief video (one and a half minutes) might help you. Just click on the link below to view the video.

Windows 7 Tutorial: How to Extract Zip Files. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVwAlaEWdys)

You just need to concentrate on getting that Aria Player installed on your system. When you've done that go on to complete my check list points 3, 4 and 5. When you've managed these I'm confident you will have solved the problems with Reaper accessing Garritan there.

I hope you hear soon from Tech Support and I'm pretty sure they too will guide you down the path of getting that Aria on your system and checking that Reaper can access that dll file.

I really hope that you have everything working there soon. :)

Good luck and please let us know how it goes with Tech Support.

rbowser-
02-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Hello Jack,

That file, 'Garritan_ARIA_Player_1.504_WIN.exe' is in the Zip folder you downloaded recently...
I'm sorry if this adds to confusions on this thread, but this isn't what the ARIA file is called on my computer. It's "WIN_ARIA_Player_1.504.exe" - I think it's worth typing that into the Start search window to check on it, Jack.

Randy

Michael_uk
02-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Hello Randy,

I'm sorry if this adds to confusions on this thread, but this isn't what the ARIA file is called on my computer. It's "WIN_ARIA_Player_1.504.exe" - I think it's worth typing that into the Start search window to check on it, Jack.

Randy

This is interesting.

I downloaded from Make Music 20 minutes ago and the file in the Zip folder is definitely 'Garritan_ARIA_Player_1.504_WIN.exe' and is the same when extracted. I just copied and pasted the name directly from the extracted file.

It's still worth Jack trying that new search though.

JackOats
02-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Hi Michael & Randy - Thanks for the video link Michael. I've got that taped - I use 7zip.

"WIN_ARIA_Player_1.504.exe"

Randy - Tried this to no avail - thanks for the suggestion.

Just in the process of writing to Support at Make Music. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks Guys.

rbowser-
02-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Unzipping a file on W7 is the easiest thing you can do, and takes seconds. Download the zip to your download folder. Double click it. Click "Extract all files" and let it just unzip in the same folder. Done. You don't need any extra programs or complicated routines.

Randy

Michael_uk
02-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Hi Michael & Randy - Thanks for the video link Michael. I've got that taped - I use 7zip.

Randy - Tried this to no avail - thanks for the suggestion.

Just in the process of writing to Support at Make Music. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks Guys.

Very odd that you are unable to install that file. :confused:

Please let us know how it goes with Tech Support.

Michael_uk
02-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Jack, I just had to come back and tell you this.

A short time ago I was sent a Sonar file and when I tried to open it ... guess what?

Sonar reported that it couldn't load Aria as it needed the Aria update ..... virtually identical to your original situation.

So I downloaded the Aria Engine Update 1.6.2.6, installed it then opened Sonar and everything worked as it should.

An incredible coincedence don't you think?

I'm certain you'll have a happy outcome to report soon.